Thread: Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun

Five South Dakota lawmakers have introduced legislation that would require any adult 21 or older to buy a firearm “sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense.”

The bill, which would take effect Jan. 1, 2012, would give people six months to acquire a firearm after turning 21.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...tizens-buy-gun

That is 1 Mandatory Purchasing Bill I can Live with..., but NOT Mandatory Health Care Insurance Purchases.

Since the representative states in the article that he and his cosponsors fully expect that the bill will never become law but are using it to illustrate the absurdity of the "Health care law" I can only assume that they never have studied either historical or legal precedent. The Georgia community of Kennesaw passed a measure a number of years ago which required every household to maintain a firearm. As far as I know (will gladly stand corrected if wrong) the requirement still stands. In interest of complete disclosure I am under the impression that the Kennesaw requirement was never strictly enforced but news reports indicate that the area experienced a drastic reduction in home invasions etc for a good period after the law went into effect.

They may never expect it to pass, but what if...? So, these lawmakers are using taxpayer money to prove a point. SD residence need to take hold of their legislature. This is total disregard for the rights of its citizens. I will not put up with legislation jokingly or nonjokingly forcing me to purchase a product.

South Dakota is trying to prove a point. The left wants to force one commodity down our throats and the right is doing the same here - albeit to make a point that regardless of what that commodity is, the government has no right to force it on us. That town in Georgia has a law like this in place, but I do not think it is enforced. I dont really think that matters as people know that there exists a law there that the man of the house must own a gun. I don't really know what kind of impact South Dakota's law would have IF it passed, but most people there own guns anyway don't they?

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    South Dakota is trying to prove a point. The left wants to force one commodity down our throats and the right is doing the same here - albeit to make a point that regardless of what that commodity is, the government has no right to force it on us. That town in Georgia has a law like this in place, but I do not think it is enforced. I dont really think that matters as people know that there exists a law there that the man of the house must own a gun. I don't really know what kind of impact South Dakota's law would have IF it passed, but most people there own guns anyway don't they?
    I don't know about most, but the last time I checked SD has the most permit holders per capita than any other state.

Campaign Veteran
    I think the ownership rate is over 58% (no citation). There are many gun related businesses based here, i.e. ammo manufacturers, firearms and components fabricators.