• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun

oldbanger

aadvark

That is 1 Mandatory Purchasing Bill I can Live with..., but NOT Mandatory Health Care Insurance Purchases.

buzzsaw

Since the representative states in the article that he and his cosponsors fully expect that the bill will never become law but are using it to illustrate the absurdity of the "Health care law" I can only assume that they never have studied either historical or legal precedent. The Georgia community of Kennesaw passed a measure a number of years ago which required every household to maintain a firearm. As far as I know (will gladly stand corrected if wrong) the requirement still stands. In interest of complete disclosure I am under the impression that the Kennesaw requirement was never strictly enforced but news reports indicate that the area experienced a drastic reduction in home invasions etc for a good period after the law went into effect.

DCKilla

They may never expect it to pass, but what if...? So, these lawmakers are using taxpayer money to prove a point. SD residence need to take hold of their legislature. This is total disregard for the rights of its citizens. I will not put up with legislation jokingly or nonjokingly forcing me to purchase a product.

acmariner99

South Dakota is trying to prove a point. The left wants to force one commodity down our throats and the right is doing the same here - albeit to make a point that regardless of what that commodity is, the government has no right to force it on us. That town in Georgia has a law like this in place, but I do not think it is enforced. I dont really think that matters as people know that there exists a law there that the man of the house must own a gun. I don't really know what kind of impact South Dakota's law would have IF it passed, but most people there own guns anyway don't they?

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
South Dakota is trying to prove a point. The left wants to force one commodity down our throats and the right is doing the same here - albeit to make a point that regardless of what that commodity is, the government has no right to force it on us. That town in Georgia has a law like this in place, but I do not think it is enforced. I dont really think that matters as people know that there exists a law there that the man of the house must own a gun. I don't really know what kind of impact South Dakota's law would have IF it passed, but most people there own guns anyway don't they?

I don't know about most, but the last time I checked SD has the most permit holders per capita than any other state.