• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB11-1205, Constitution Carry, Final Passage Tommorow!

mahkagari

Depends on who you mean by "Colorado". The governor doesn't have power to change the constitution. The legislators aren't getting much pressure to from their consituents. Colorado's consitution is so ridiculously easy to ammend that we have a mess of legislation every year that should be tidily taken care of by elected legislators doing their jobs and instead turns into a massive campaign for voter approval on every. single. damned. issue.

So the question is do YOU as a Coloradan (if you are), plan to do anything about it soon?

since9

Campaign Veteran
not even sure where to start i have found very little on this subject any ideas as i do not believe concealed permits but am not comfortable oc

Does this mean you do not believe in getting a concealed permit, or that you do not believe you'll be able to get one?

Instead of experimenting with a couple of hundred dollars trying to find out, consider spending $15 at a fireams deal to run a CBI and see whether or not that comes back ok. If it does, read through the CHP rules, available at your local sheriff's office, to see if there's anything which might disqualify you. If it looks like you wouldn't be approved for a CHP, then OC is your only option.

ZackL

I just got an email from RMGO about House Bill 1205. This is a bill that is designed to allow Constitutional Carry in Colorado without repealing the Concealed Carry laws and still affords people the opportunity to get a permit that would help them to travel to other states. It was introduced by State Rep. Chris Holbert (R-Parker) and State Sen. Greg Brophy (R-Wray).

ZackL

Here's a link to the bill for anyone who is interested in reading it and I've also included the email from RMGO.

Bill - http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...583112C8725781E005F3120?Open&file=1205_01.pdf

Email - Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - RMGO

Constitutional Carry introduced in Colorado Legislature

Yesterday State Rep. Chris Holbert (R-Parker) and State Sen. Greg Brophy (R-Wray) introduced HB1205, the Constitutional Carry Act of 2011.

This bill is designed to do one thing: allow citizens who are legally eligible to possess handguns to carry that handgun without obtaining a costly, burdensome and bureaucratic permit.

One of the chief advantages this bill presents is that citizens are not put on any government tracking list merely for carrying the tools for self defense. Citizens in Vermont, Alaska and Arizona currently enjoy that right, and Wyoming could be joining that list in the next few months.

Just as important as what HB1205 does are what it does not do:

* Does not repeal or otherwise change Colorado’s existing concealed carry permit law (CRS 18-12-201).
* Does not authorize the carrying of a concealed handgun by felons, the mentally ill, juveniles or anyone otherwise prohibited from possessing a handgun under state and federal law.
* Does not change where concealed handguns are allowed as defined by CRS 18-12-214.
* Does not affect reciprocity agreements with other states in any manner.
* Does not affect the ability of prosecutors to pursue charges for other crimes.

This bill is a major step for freedom, and is something every gun owner in Colorado should get behind.

Make sure you sign our petition for this bill by clicking here [http://www.rmgo.org/petitions/colorado-constitutional-carry]. We’ll let you know as soon as this bill is scheduled for a House Committee.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown
Executive Director

P.S. If you’d like to support the passage of this bill financially, you can do so by clicking here [https://rmgo.ejoinme.org/MyPages/RMGODonationPage/tabid/16761/Default.aspx].

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the links, ZackL. I signed the petition and will be contacting my state representatives.

ETA: I looked up 18-12-105 (2) on Michies, and apparently, as the linked "revision" contains a section (f), the legislature is working off an old copy!

Michies says, "(f) and (g) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2003, p. 1626, § 51, effective August 6, 2003.)"

Furthermore, "(2) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2000, p. 709, § 45, effective July 1, 2000.)" and the "It shall not be an offense if the defendant was" is now a part of section (3), not (2).

Tell you what - If RMGO or the House/Senate Sponsorship is serious about HB 11-1205, how about they start with the most current copy of the Colorado Revised Statutes?

If they don't, the other reps will laugh them off the floor.

Last edited:

JamesB

I'm looking at it right now and.... no.

(2) is still "shall not be an offence..."
(2) (e) was deleted
(2) (f) is still there

Try looking again. Perhaps you were off by a letter or something.

bushwacker

yeah you can open carry in colo, I have been doing it since 2009 and never had any problems, but I dont take my gun into scalehouses however they always see my side or sholder hoster and never said anything. just cant carry in places that have prohibition signs and no open carry and no assault rifles ban in city of denver was upheld by supreme court. However I cannot even use my cwl in colo due to... not issued in state that I reside

mahkagari

You can go here: http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2011A/csl.nsf/BillFoldersHouse?openFrameset

and look for HB11-1205 to see the history. It's been assigned to the Judiciary Committee.

I can't imagine Hickenlooper signing it, and I'm even more skeptical that the legislature would override a veto.

That's why I think with CO's constitution so easy to ammend by the people without going through the assembly or governor, it'd be the better route if it's what the people want.

ZackL

Well, it (HB 1205) will be heard next Thursday by the House Judiciary Committee. This is the first step, but it needs more support than it's already gotten. I've had friends and family, even those that aren't "gun people" sign the petition and call/email their reps... I'm not sure who all will support this when it's heard, but we need enough votes to be able to override a veto should that occur.

Do you all think it would be a good or bad idea to call Hickenlooper and tell him that we want him to support this bill?

Anubis

so we don't know when this will be up for vote???

I heard that the bill is "in" the House Judiciary Committee and they will vote on it next week (same as ZackL reported). So ASAP would be the time to communicate your enthusiasm to the committee members:

republicans
bob.gardner.house@state.co.us
mark.barker.house@state.co.us
brian@briandelgrosso.com
rep.nikkel@gmail.com
jerry@repsonnenberg.com
mark.waller.house@state.co.us

democrats
crisanta.duran.house@state.co.us
rep.kagan@gmail.com
pete.lee.house@state.co.us
claire.levy.house@state.co.us
su.ryden.house@state.co.us

Last edited:

Anubis

I sent messages to the committee members and received this personal reply from BJ Nikkel: "I am a co sponsor of the bill and always support our second amendment rights!"