• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question invovling OC, and vehicles.

S2005

Hello Everyone! 24 White Male, I'm from Daphne, AL. New to the board.

Ok, so from what I've gathered from reading is that its perfectly legal to OC but when you get in a vehicle, that you must have a permit.

What does the law state for firearms (Rifles, Pistols, etc) in a vehicle. I do not have a permit. I do not want to pay $30 a month for something I feel I am entitled to do by the Bill of Rights.

If I store the firearm somewhere out of reach, for instance, the trunk, while I'm in the vehicle, do I still have to have a permit? Also, if pulled over, are you legally bound to inform the officer that you have a firearm(s) in the vehicle?

eye95

I know of no law regarding the carriage of rifles and shotguns in your car. If you have a pistol in your car, have a license. Some will carry it unloaded in their trunk, but Alabama law is silent on this practice. If comes from federal law regarding transporting your firearm interstate from one place where you are allowed to possess it to another. The federal law specifically mentions interstate and does not mention intrastate.

Even if a court would rule that unloaded carry in your trunk is lawful, a LEO seeing you put your gun in your trunk and drive off might stop you and ask for your CPL, arresting you if you don't have one. The law is vague enough that, even after you are acquitted, you won't necessarily have recourse against the officer, so they would be able to keep stopping folks for unloaded carry in the trunk without a license.

Anyway, for a better discussion on this, visit http://AlabamaOpenCarry.com/forum. That's where most of the open carriers in Alabama post.

Daylen

The only laws concerning long guns in AL are the hunting laws. Be sure to abide those, but remember they only apply to those engaged in hunting and only to hunting weapons not self defense weapons.