• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Pulled over today........

Ricky

Well, got pulled over today by a State Trooper..He was sitting at an exit ramp when I stopped at the light. I was driving my old truck which I never drive and I had forgot to put my sticker on the tag. He walked up and asked for my DL...I told him I had a pistol on my right hip, he said thats fine just leave it holstered. I then said I had to reach down to unbuckle my seat belt. He said thats fine. He said since he could not see my pistol if I had my CCW permit, I said yes sir..He looked at it reminded me put on my sticker and told me to have a good day...Went well....He was very nice and polite...Good day tater

muccione

COOL I would have removed my XD from the holster to the center console before he even got out of the car.... But thats me...and I do have a CHP...
CCW = is a crime of carrying a concealed weapon....
CHP = Concealed Handgun Permit....

rotorhead

Well, got pulled over today by a State Trooper..He was sitting at an exit ramp when I stopped at the light. I was driving my old truck which I never drive and I had forgot to put my sticker on the tag. He walked up and asked for my DL...I told him I had a pistol on my right hip, he said thats fine just leave it holstered. I then said I had to reach down to unbuckle my seat belt. He said thats fine. He said since he could not see my pistol if I had my CCW permit, I said yes sir..He looked at it reminded me put on my sticker and told me to have a good day...Went well....He was very nice and polite...Good day tater

Good job on the part of you and the Trooper.

Think about this too: When LEOs conduct themselves like this one did, you may want to catch their name and which troop they belong to and send in a good word to their supervisor. I know several Troopers personally and I can tell you they don't get many "attaboy's" from the general public and every little bit counts.

You don't have to be a suck up, but just sending along a good note or call will get it passed back down to that Trooper (or most any LEO) and it may reinforce their commitment to be fair again on the next stop they make.

Last edited:

Ricky

Good job on the part of you and the Trooper.

Think about this too: When LEOs conduct themselves like this one did, you may want to catch their name and which troop they belong to and send in a good word to their supervisor. I know several Troopers personally and I can tell you they don't get many "attaboy's" from the general public and every little bit counts.

You don't have to be a suck up, but just sending along a good note or call will get it passed back down to that Trooper (or most any LEO) and it may reinforce their commitment to be fair again on the next stop they make.

Good point, I do remember the time and place so maybe I can go from there and make some calls to find out. My step dad is a retired trooper of 30 years..he might be able to help me..Again, good point....thanks

chiefjason

I dealt with a trooper during an accident. No freak out or anything on his part. He disarmed me during the investigation and locked the pistol in my car. He could have cared less that I did not have my CCP at the time. I was not going to get too wound up about being disarmed since I needed the accident report to file a claim. Ended up talking guns for about 10 minutes after all the paperwork. This guy was a Caldwell County trooper.

Smith45acp

I dealt with a trooper during an accident. No freak out or anything on his part. He disarmed me during the investigation and locked the pistol in my car. He could have cared less that I did not have my CCP at the time. I was not going to get too wound up about being disarmed since I needed the accident report to file a claim. Ended up talking guns for about 10 minutes after all the paperwork. This guy was a Caldwell County trooper.

I definitely would have minded but I also wouldn't have made a big hairy deal over it.

chiefjason

I definitely would have minded but I also wouldn't have made a big hairy deal over it.

Yeah, there's a point where I expect to not be disarmed. But getting into the troopers car to fill out paperwork and him going back and forth between 2 vehicles is not that place. My plan was just to lock it in my car as he pulled up. But he pulled up sooner than expected and I was in front of my truck talking to the other driver. Could it have been better, sure. Could it have been worse, absolutely.

Spearhead

So what would've happened if you hadn't had a CHP?
Going to jail just because he chose the wrong side of the car to walk up on?
Some of the troopers can be a little over-zealous about this. Glad yours wasn't

I've been stopped a few times over the years - pistol on my right hip. None of the cops freaked. I just told them when they walked up that "I have an unconcealed handun on my right hip".

Ricky

So what would've happened if you hadn't had a CHP?
Going to jail just because he chose the wrong side of the car to walk up on?
Some of the troopers can be a little over-zealous about this. Glad yours wasn't

I've been stopped a few times over the years - pistol on my right hip. None of the cops freaked. I just told them when they walked up that "I have an unconcealed handun on my right hip".
I actually had a tee shirt on and a sweat shirt on top of that with my pistol covered up. I may not have mentioned that earlier. This trooper was a super nice guy. I don't think it would have been a problem if I was OC"ing. Was a lil cool so I just decided to wear the sweat shirt......

XDUser

Most LEO are pretty cool as long as you do not suck up but show respect. Glad to hear you had a good encounter and encourage you to send in a nice letter even if you did not get a name.

muccione

Most LEO are pretty cool as long as you do not suck up but show respect. Glad to hear you had a good encounter and encourage you to send in a nice letter even if you did not get a name.

I dont understand... send a letter because he did his job.... what did he do that was so commendable?...

Blk97F150

I dont understand... send a letter because he did his job.... what did he do that was so commendable?...

Interesting isn't it..... the idea that we need to praise a LEO for NOT violating our rights. Almost as if its become expected that they will.... :eek:

Spearhead

I actually had a tee shirt on and a sweat shirt on top of that with my pistol covered up. I may not have mentioned that earlier. This trooper was a super nice guy. I don't think it would have been a problem if I was OC"ing. Was a lil cool so I just decided to wear the sweat shirt......

Oh OK. Yeah that was an important part to leave out! :)

rotorhead

Interesting isn't it..... the idea that we need to praise a LEO for NOT violating our rights. Almost as if its become expected that they will.... :eek:

Meh, I"m not talking about the Nobel Peace prize or showering some dude with loving adoration or other such **** that's probably sure to be blown out of proportion here in this thread, I was talking about a quick call or email to let him know you appreciate the fact that he was fair and didn't over-react as many other Troopers and officers are known to have done in the past.

Personally, I don't see what the issue is about the idea but that's just me.

Sc0tt

I had my car window broken saterday night and when the Hillboro cop got there I told him I was armed, he asked where it was I told him right hip 4 oclock, he said just dont pull it out, and carryed on.
I love these positive experiences with LEO's it goes to show you that its just a few bad apples cuasuing all the problems

Ratt402

I can see both sides. why say something if he just did his job. But, on the other hand, it APPEARS (and this is just MY opinion) that he was a bit more than what he had to do, maybe not much, but still. Now, had he went the other way as much on the scale of things, it would be tempting to make a call and complain. People in general will complain about service, products or apperance in a heartbeat, but rarely take as much time to say "Good Job"
Considering how we spread the word about how bad LEOs can be, they can spread the word about nice OCers can be.
Just a thought......

Semper Fi !

rotorhead

I can see both sides. why say something if he just did his job. But, on the other hand, it APPEARS (and this is just MY opinion) that he was a bit more than what he had to do, maybe not much, but still. Now, had he went the other way as much on the scale of things, it would be tempting to make a call and complain. People in general will complain about service, products or apperance in a heartbeat, but rarely take as much time to say "Good Job"
Considering how we spread the word about how bad LEOs can be, they can spread the word about nice OCers can be.
Just a thought......

Semper Fi !

Exactly my point.

Sometimes people are quick to record bad behavior and it takes maybe ten minutes to put it up on youtube and then follow it up with web board postings, lawsuits, and all kinds of things to show what a shitbag some of these cops are. No problem, in fact some of these cops deserve what they get.

On the other hand, when some cops actually go about their duties in a fashion that's fair and even cool as hell in certain circumstances when they could have turned them into a more pain in the ass but yet still legal manner, they simply get nothing. Again, no problem as this is what they actually get paid to do but if you're only waiting to pounce on someone who slips up but are silent when someone doesn't, it shows a lack of character in my opinion.

The Trooper in the OP could have pulled the driver out of the car and sat him in the cruiser while unloading the gun and holding onto it until the stop was complete, all for "safety's" sake. Doing so would have been completely legal on his part. After all, this wasn't a random stop for someone carrying a gun. It was a legitimate traffic stop. Instead it seems he took account of the situation and decided none of that was warranted. Luckily for him he was dealing with someone who was rational, law-abiding, and sane. Again, it could have turned out much differently if it was someone else he had stopped out there.

I find that the OP would naturally have complained if the Trooper harassed him during the stop. As it turned out, and to his credit, he's spreading the word of a good encounter just as well. That's a good thing.

Although no cop ever was drafted against his will into his job, I still find it appropriate to report the good as well as the bad. It's good to know that rational cops are out there among some of the bad ones and I see no fault in passing along props to their supervisors when they deserve it.

Last edited:

jerz_subbie

Next time your boss tells you "good job," tell him "shut up, I'm just doing my job." :/ This is no different than if you bought a new home theater, got excellent service, and told the manager(in-person or via survey) that the sales person was very helpful.

In any line of work, it's great to get positive reinforcement, even if it's simply for doing your job properly.

Blk97F150

Next time your boss tells you "good job," tell him "shut up, I'm just doing my job." :/ This is no different than if you bought a new home theater, got excellent service, and told the manager(in-person or via survey) that the sales person was very helpful.

In any line of work, it's great to get positive reinforcement, even if it's simply for doing your job properly.

Thanks anyway... but I don't have to worry about that boss thing.

Isn't there a difference between doing a 'good job', and just doing the job you're supposed to do? Praise for exceptional work can be warranted at times... but how is not violating ones rights 'doing a good job'?? its not.

Ratt402

Thanks anyway... but I don't have to worry about that boss thing.

Isn't there a difference between doing a 'good job', and just doing the job you're supposed to do? Praise for exceptional work can be warranted at times... but how is not violating ones rights 'doing a good job'?? its not.

When there is a constant battle between non-informed LEO's and OCers, any GOOD thing that can be done can't hurt, but only help matters. If people are only inclined to complain but never praise, then why would anyone in any job bother putting forth any effort in doing what's required?

Maybe we are using the wrong wording, instead of "praise", how about "Thank You" to a LEO doing just his job. Think about the crap he has to put up with and yes, before you go off about it's his choice to have that job, the same could be said about ANY public service job, from LEO doing their job, to the sales clerk that even though had been on shift for 8 hours and had 4 more to go that was nice to the person being an ******* to him/her, to the person that collects your trash.

Its all about human nature in EVERYBODY, not just LEOs. Remember, it takes TWO sides to make a coin. We cant expect LEOs to do their job as expected and then those that go above and beyond and not do our jobs a human beings and just be courtious.

Once again, I am not berating anyone on this forum and I am sorry if it came across that way, just my own thoughts and feeling being tossed out as food for thought.

Semper Fi !