• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M&P vs. XDM - 9mm

autoxr84

So I'll get right to the point...

Which would be better? I was really leaning towards the M&P but started looking for other options when I could not get all the features I wanted in a pistol (Night sights and thumb safety together). So I came across the XDM and liked what I read and saw about it. But now I am looking back at the M&P because I have said heck with the night sights. Both fit my hand well, and I like the looks of both. I am looking at getting into law enforcement soon as well, so take that into consideration please. And I dont want anything other than a 9mm. Thanks!

irish52084

XDM with night sights is was what I tried to buy a few weeks ago, but they don't make it in 357Sig yet. I have had glocks and handled a few M&P's, and if I'm buying a pistol of that type, the XD and XDM are what I go to. To be honest, they would probably both serve you perfectly, but I've found the XD/XDM to be my choice.

Why did you decide against night sights? I have heard people say they are a gimmick, but I find them quite useful in low light. Sights you can see are better than sights you can't. IMO

ElW75

Warren Tactical makes Night Sights for the M&P, a good dealer will sell them for around 125 and install for free. I prefer the M&P to any other pistol because of the ultra reliability and its natural feel in my hands. Also, Comp Tac makes a good IWB holster if you want to go that route for carry.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Honestly, they're both so popular and similar in quality that you're probably best off renting/borrowing both to try at the range. Make a decision off of that. I prefer the M&P. I know others who prefer the the XDM. You won't be disappointed with either decision.

autoxr84

I am just gonna put aftermarket night sights on after the fact. It seems the choices are endless in the aftermarket choices then what actually comes with the pistol itself. I probably just need to go shoot them both and see what feels more "right". But would the tumb safety be a problem when having to draw and fire rapidly or would the XDM be a problem if I don't get a good hold when I would draw? Or just practice, preactice, practice? Lol

robin.kevin

I'd suggest shooting them both. I have a XD40 and pretty fond of it. However, after buying it I have shot a M&P and seem to have less muzzle flip due to a lower barrel axis. I have heard less complaints about the XD and springfield offers a lifetime warranty if you buy it new. I am not sure what warranties smith and wesson offers.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
I'd suggest shooting them both. I have a XD40 and pretty fond of it. However, after buying it I have shot a M&P and seem to have less muzzle flip due to a lower barrel axis. I have heard less complaints about the XD and springfield offers a lifetime warranty if you buy it new. I am not sure what warranties smith and wesson offers.

They offer lifetime when you by new as well. Also, they sent me the baseplate for my 9c to make the 2nd magazine match the first with the finger rest for free. I also hear that if you have a warranty issue that takes more than a few weeks to get fixed they send you a free magazine. None of this is why I picked an M&P. I picked it because of how it felt in my hand in comparison to about a dozen others.

robin.kevin

They offer lifetime when you by new as well. Also, they sent me the baseplate for my 9c to make the 2nd magazine match the first with the finger rest for free. I also hear that if you have a warranty issue that takes more than a few weeks to get fixed they send you a free magazine. None of this is why I picked an M&P. I picked it because of how it felt in my hand in comparison to about a dozen others.

Good deal, I know smith and wesson usually stands behide their firearms very well. Just wasnt sure on it, if not for the price difference I would been very likely to go with M&P instead of my XP due to the lower barrel axis. I feel that is important factor as it helps with follow up shots.

WantsToCarry

I spent about 2 hours at my local gunshop and the the guy let me hold both a M&P and XD. After a longgg time to hold both, the XD just fit MY hand better. I plan to purchase it once taxes get back :) Throws stuff. Mehhh want mah moneyyyy) For ME let me state that again. Hold em both, for a while.

NMBill

I Really Like My XDm

I really like my 3.8 XDm 9mm, so I am biased. Handle them both and see what feels the most natural. Try closing your eyes and bringing each gun up to aim at some point of reference. See which is pointing the most accurately at your selected target. The gun that most naturally goes to the point of aim (without looking), will probably be the best for you. Do not, I repeat, do not use a fellow gun shop customer as your eyes-closed target. This makes people veeerrrry nervous.

robin.kevin

I really like my 3.8 XDm 9mm, so I am biased. Handle them both and see what feels the most natural. Try closing your eyes and bringing each gun up to aim at some point of reference. See which is pointing the most accurately at your selected target. The gun that most naturally goes to the point of aim (without looking), will probably be the best for you. Do not, I repeat, do not use a fellow gun shop customer as your eyes-closed target. This makes people veeerrrry nervous.

Speaking from experience?

irish52084

The thumb safety is something I wouldn't personally opt for in an xd or m&p, but I understand why you might want one. The thumb safety is just something you need to train yourself to disengage, but it's not a big deal. Lots of people shoot guns with a safety and it doesn't seem to be an issue to them

As for the grip safety on the XD, it's just a matter of having a grip on the pistol that will depress the safety. It doesn't take much effort, and I've never even noticed it while shooting or practicing drawing.

TechnoWeenie

M&P hands down.

Simpler, less safeties, and multiple PD contracts, including a statewide contract Washington State Patrol + Washington State Department of Corrections In addition to Iowa state patrol and Colorado state police, among the almost 300 agencies that have switched to it... The same can't be said of the XD...

I'll be the first to admit that Smith stole most of their ideas from Glock, Springfield, HK, etc... But they also took the best parts from each and made the best defensive pistol out there IMO.

Everyone must choose their own weapon. What works for me may not work for you...

But, when a company does years of research, and takes the best designs from leaders in the industry, you find quickly that the market they aim for, is what the pistol is designed for... M&P (Military & Police). Reliable, easily customizable, simple to clean, no extraneous safety mechanisms, etc etc.

I took about 3 months going over just about every pistol for my defensive needs, and everything kept going back to the M&P.

Link

TechnoWeenie

I forgot to mention that, having previously owned a G21, all my Glock accessories (holsters, mag holders, etc) worked with the M&P .45, even the Serpa and 'design specific' holsters..

:banana:

Eeyore

trigger mods

They're both high quality with a loyal following. Like everyone else has said, it'll boil down to which feels/shoots better in your hands. Holsters, night sights, etc. are widely available for both.

I chose the M&P9 over the XD9 for ergonomic & economic reasons. The factory trigger was OK but kinda gritty, so I bought the Apex Tactical DCAEK ($65 at the time, $89 now at https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html) and it was a huge improvement. Don't know what kind of improvements there are for the XD, but it's common enough there are probably several options.