• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about a Sig 229p Elite, any thoughts.

TraumaJunkie

I'm thinking about getting a Sig 229p Elite. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this Gun?

epilogue

I love almost everything that Sig puts on the market. I have a standard P229 in 9mm which has 9k and change through it. It's what I use for IDPA and general target practice since the ammo is so cheap (relatively). The DA/SA is smartly done and felt recoil is minimal with the all-steel construction, sans the cheap-o polymer grips (on mine).

I also own the P220 Elite, love it to pieces too.

TraumaJunkie

I love almost everything that Sig puts on the market. I have a standard P229 in 9mm which has 9k and change through it. It's what I use for IDPA and general target practice since the ammo is so cheap (relatively). The DA/SA is smartly done and felt recoil is minimal with the all-steel construction, sans the cheap-o polymer grips (on mine).

I also own the P220 Elite, love it to pieces too.
I currently own a sig 229p .40. How the guns differ shooting wise. Trigger pull and recoil etc....

epilogue

I currently own a sig 229p .40. How the guns differ shooting wise. Trigger pull and recoil etc....

All the elites come with the SRT and Night sights, some with the rosewood grips. My plain-jane 229 has much more trigger reset travel than the 220 elite, which obviously allows for much faster follow-up shooting. Recoil will be near identical for same calibers, regular vs elite.

What you're basically paying for in the elites is the grips, SRT, sights, and 'special care' in the machining of the firearm (read: tighter gun overall).

If you've already got the 229 in .40, you may be able to simply obtain the work done by Sig to have it 'upgraded' rather than buy a whole new heater.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I've got the 229 elite. I've also owned a regular 226. I can definitely notice the difference in quality of build between the standard guns and the elite series. I really like the beaver tail and the SRT. If you like what SIG is about, it doesn't get any better.

BTW, I traded a Kimber to get my 229...

45acpForMe

In my opinion the Elite series from Sig is well worth the money.

The short reset trigger is great, the night sites are great and I like the beaver tail and the weight of the stainless models. The wood grips on some of the Elite models are beautiful but depending on why you are getting the gun a standard grip or hogue grip may be better for tactical situations. I like my wood grips as far as comfort.

Sig's are great guns that are fun to shoot all day long. Some guns out there are not fun to shoot and you get tired of easily. Sigs definitely don't fall into that category.

Bowers

I have a 229 Equinox in .40 and I've put probably 800 rounds through it. Love it to death, and wouldn't trade it for anything. If you're wondering if you should add another sig to your collection, the answer is always a resounding YES!. And sure, go with the elite