• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and mad

laqkd

Hello everyone I'm new here so a little about myself before I vent.
I'm 25 hispanic brown and tattooed but that has nothing to with me as a person or the kind of citizen I am. I own guns and I enjoy shooting, purchasing, and the comfort of having a gun in the home. I work my 40+ hours every week I pay taxes I'm insured and I'm licensed well I was. I never open carried nor do I have my ccw. So recently I had a couple drinks with my friend by couple I mean 4-5 budlights. I got in my vehicle and dove bad mistake I was not what one would consider drunk not even buzzed. I got pulled over the officer gave me 3 different reasons for stoping me. As soon as the cop gets to my truck I tell her officer I just want to make you aware I have a gun in my truck (it was on the seat I just didn't want to catch a pueblo beat down) there were 4 other officers there she says put your hands on the ceiling I did another cop comes to the passenger side opens the door takes the gun and clears it ( gun not loaded) so cop says you know why I stopped you I say no mam she says you were doing 60 in a 40 I said no way I just turned the corner. Than a little bit later she says I was hiding from her being suspicious to which I have no response (in my head yeah I'm suspicious I'm brown and driving down the street at 1:30) So she asks if I've been drinking I have no response she said will I consent to a road side and I say no mam will I consent to a BA no mam but I'll take a blood test just to buy time because I know I drank but it was a while ago and I know .02-.08 is a dwai .08 or above is dui so I'm just trying to buy time. So I am handcuffed and searched she finds one live round in my pocket and starts getting all angry asking if I had just unloaded my gun when I got pulled over I said no. she said why do you have a round in your pocket I have no reply (the round was in my pocket from shooting earlier in the day I dropped it in the dirt and just put it in my pocket. She says I know you took the magazine out and cleared the gun still no reply. We get to the police station they begin to draw blood im there for about 45 min they keep sticking me and can't get any blood so finally I say I'll take a BA my arms were bruised for 2 weeks from them trying to draw blood. I blow hot .1 somethin I might have the numbers wrong to which her reply is wow you hold your liquor good I couldnt even tell you were drunk. Off to jail 13 hours in a holding cell disgusting cell by the way finally get called out the booking officer tells me I can't get out since I had a gun its a no bond. So I get put upstairs in general population for 3 days dont get out till tuesday night. I've never been in jail or in trouble my whole 25 years as a person. So I lost my license and as of now till I think after court I can't own or poses a firearm. So as my way of saying **** the system once I can I'm gonna open carry everytime I got to walk to the store since I can't drive or every time I leave the house. Granted I was wrong in starting my vehicle and driving I had no intention of harming anyone or doing anything I felt. So now that I have temporarily had my right to poses a firearm taken from me I'm going to exercise my right to own and carry from here on out and never have that right taken from me again.

Sorry about the long post I just need to vent. And before you criticize me I know I messed up but I'm no criminal far from it. Honest people make mistakes.

DinFreemont

laqkd

Now this is done and you are in the crap we wish you well, I do anyway.

I am about to post some things that may make you even more angry, but take it in the way I present it - simply to analyze the post you made.

First “brown and tattooed” are you aware that most non-police in Colorado have no problem with the brown part? We do need to be honest about the tattooed part, what does that bring to mind - be honest, now add the LEO problems with criminals in this state.

Racial profiling and impression profiling bias is a fact of life when dealing with the police. Do you actually think that an Asian or White male with large tattoos will get any less of a ration of crap from LEOs - be honest.

No laws exist about LEOs lying to you (so many can and will) - but you cannot lie to LEOs and that is the reality of the country we live in. An officer is likely never going to admit to profiling (ethnic or impression) at a stop (it could be recorded), and once an LEO has a stop you can expect that extensive searching for reasons to drag you (or anyone) into the system will be applied this is the general training that is extended to most LEOs now. This situation becomes worse if an officer is stressed or embarrassed.

If you had 5 alcoholic beverages - that is not a few - and then you got behind the wheel - you have to understand that you were going to come up “hot.” I don’t think that you or anyone deserves that type of crap from any LEO but I and others will have a problem giving you a complete pass about the alcoholic beverages and driving. (You have noted this yourself in your post)

As far as ending your problems and legally open carrying your arms you will have lots of support here, your ethnic background is no deterrent to exercising your Constitutional rights and that is the law.

laqkd

I am not upset with the LEOs or the situation as far as brown n tattooed it was more of a joke on my part. I have no ill feeling to any of the officers involved and I take full responsibility for my actions. Not even mad that I lost my license I should not of drove and losing my license is the result. How ever I'm upset about not being able to poses a firearm and I am also upset about being in the holding cell for 12-13 hours with 8 other people the bathroom was full of poop on the seat and walls. And I am mad about having to go upstairs to the actuall jail for 3 days with absolutly no previous record or offences on my part. I just think the system is designed to make money off people who are hard working law obeying citizens. Example I work a job that pays me 45-50 thousand a year. So for me its' going to be ankle braclet pay every month plus pay for every UA and BA not to mention all the fines I am going to have to pay. First time offense in CO atomatic 2 years with an interlock on your vehicle pay every month plus the fees to maintain it. If they can make a dime off you they will. If I had no money no job and didn't care about the law I would do my 10 days in jail get out maybe maybe finish my probation and the classes and continue to drive uninsured and with out a license. I just think the system needs to change to help the average blue collar worker and not be made to help the people don't care. Again I'm just a little upset. I have been here many times before and love reading the posts and I love the people that post. I just felt like you are the kind of people to talk to.

laqkd

O yeah the third and final reason for the stop which she put on the ticket was running a red light which I also didn't do because if I did she would not of given me those bogus reasons in the begining I think she just needed something to put down as a reason to initiate the stop. If I was her I would of put swerving or driving irradicaly at least it fits with the DUI.

Gunslinger

Why didn't you get a lawyer? You wouldn't have spent the time in jail. How were you finally released? You haven't gone to court yet, I assume, so why are you already talking about your sentence? If you blew a .1, you never should have been driving, but I would guess you know that now. Maybe you were profiled, but you also were a potential killer behind the wheel. I would bet the cops were fishing for a dwi and the fact you're Hispanic was secondary to your simply being on the road at that time of night. For your information, as you are misinformed about the likely sentence:

Jail time for a first offense is at the discretion of the judge assigned to your case and can range up to one year according to the Colorado DUI Law. First time offenders rarely get jail in Colorado however. The new law (as of July 1, 2010) calls for a minimum of two days in jail for a first DWAI and five days jail for a first DUI. See Penalties After July 1, 2010 The minimums may be excused or electronic home monitoring allowed if the offender completes probation. Some judges, in the Clear Creek County Court for example, routinely impose some jail even if you are a first time offender. If you had an accident or a high BAC - over 0.15 - then the chance of jail time on a first offense increases dramatically. Over 0.20 BAC jail is mandatory, even for people who have never had a single traffic ticket before! Except in rare cases the court will usually impose alcohol/substance abuse treatment at the time of sentencing. Recommended alcohol education and treatment for a first DUI ranges from 12 hours to 86 hours. If you are assigned the maximum allowable alcohol education and treatment expect to invest 110 hours of your time to completing probation.

rushcreek2

It's worth noting that possession of a firearm and ammo while legally intoxicated is also a criminal offense. Not on a wise course if you ever want to be issued a CHP - either.

For what it's worth my wife is "brown" , and my precious 26 year old granddaughter who is technically 3/4 "brown" - but "whiter" than I am - has two beautiful children ( one "brown" & one "white" ) lost her "brown" father to a "white" DUI driver between Pueblo and COS about 6 years ago. For what it's worth the "white" DUI driver is still sitting behind "gray" bars - you might want to reflect on that somewhat "unCOLORful" prospect down the road.

I think your present dilema is a result of poor choices regarding your CONDUCT - not "color".

Last edited:

mahkagari

I think your present dilema is a result of poor choices regarding your CONDUCT - not "color".

Nor the system. My sister was busy playing Ms. Honor Student and neglected to pay a traffic ticket. She got pulled over again and went to jail. No priors, etc. etc. But the law is the law. All of us told her the consequences and she refused to heed them. You were intoxicated, driving, and in possession of a firearm. Whether the reason for pulling you over was bogus or not, those were not bogus charges. From one brown tatooed man to another, that's not a problem with the system.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Sorry about the long post I just need to vent. And before you criticize me I know I messed up but I'm no criminal far from it. Honest people make mistakes.

Yes, we do. In time, you'll work through and/or get over this one. In the meantime, take a deep breath, get some exercise, whatever it is you do to relieve stress.

Writing about it is certainly a valid way, so long as it's not spooling you up more than the steam you're letting off.

JohnF_Boulder_Co

I'll be interested to see how this turns out for your future with being legal to own a gun.
Remember Colorado has what's called "Baby Brady" as in their own level of background check after the federal check.
Any arrest that was of the sort that the federal Brady check would get you on, Colorado gets you, regardless of the outcome. It's a whole new level of headache to get around that and get the end result of the case considered instead of the initial arrest charges.
Nothing they caught you on should have been a felony arrest, but I don't know what else they might get you on.

I'm curious about what was their problem with the gun at all (aside from the DUI). A round in your pocket? so what. They thought you might have emptied it as you were stopped? I'd think they'd prefer that to having it loaded and ready.
Colorado doesn't have anything in law about a handgun being unloaded during carry.
It's a non-issue. It won't even come up, and they were silly in bothering about it. Officious, obstructionist, bothersome, and nosy about something that was nothing.

Good for you, in all that nosy nonsense, not replying.

protias

Sorry to hear about what happened. Next time, don't talk to police:

[video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

Whiskeyjack

I agree dont talk to the police,

But I do take offense to the tattoo part.

I am a LEO as aswell as brown and tattooed. There is a huge difference between indecent tattoos which should invoke a certain things. Mine are religious.

aosailor

Get a good lawyer, and if they can prove that the cops had no reason to pull you over then your case will be thrown out. but of course thats a big IF

Savage206

sorry an no sympathy from me here. you drank and then drove. The fact that you can apparently "hold your liquor (or beer in this case) doesn't mean a thing to me. If you aren't responsible enough to not drink and drive I don't think you deserve the right to carry a firearm with you. Sorry if that makes you mad.... :eek:

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
laqkd,

First of all, please use better sentence structure. Your first post is an eyesore. Put some damn paragraphs in there.

Secondly, stop trying minimize your stupidity. You messed up, stop making excuses. I have a HUGE problem with your quote here:
Granted I was wrong in starting my vehicle and driving I had no intention of harming anyone or doing anything I felt
Oh really? So as long as you didn't MEAN to harm anyone, it would've been fine if you ended up killing someone else because you were driving your vehicle drunk. I mean after all, you weren't TRYING to hurt anyone right?

As far as the firearm goes: Are you really that stupid?! It's a bad idea to have 1 beer and have access to a firearm, let alone 5. Personally, I don't think you posses the responsibility necessary to carry.

You tell us this story, and then say that YOU'RE mad? Here, I have the world's smallest violin for you.
Get yourself some common sense, you're making the rest of us look bad.

justherenow

Drunk driving is no different than walking down the street randomly shooting a gun, the car is the bullet, what it hits is anyones guess. You get no mercy from me, I know too many people killed by the driver who only had a couple of beers.

I hope your case is over and adjudicated or you really should not be posting in open forum, anything can be used against you.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

Gunslinger

Honest people do make mistakes. And you certainly did. A BAL of .1 that many hours after your last drink means you were blasted. You had no business in a car or anywhere near a gun. Learn from it. Honest people don't make the same mistake twice.