Thread: Cops versus Cameras a "nationwide fight"

, ,

Cops versus Cameras a "nationwide fight"

An interesting article about filming the police. It talks about 2 citizen journalist who have taken on this cause, and pushed the boundaries (and buttons).

It also talks about the 'raising ire' of law enforcement toward being filmed.

On topic imho since many on the opencarry forum advocate filming encounters with LEO. Seems there's a nationwide backlash brewing.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 02-01-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Seattle, Washington, USA
    Interesting read....
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Giles County, Virginia
    "We think every citizen should have a camera in their car," he says. "Every encounter with police officers every one should be filmed."
    This is inevitable, unavoidable, of course. And the law will do nothing to prevent it.

It may take a few years, though.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Whatcom County
    I've been threatened a few times for recording they usually shut up, when they find out I know more about that portion of the law than they do.

Of course they don't want to be filmed, look how many abuses you can find on youtube alone.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Colorado Springs. CO
    I am actually considering sending a contribution to the ACLU !

The video camera is now liberty's most powerful weapon.

Public servants -especially those who carry guns, tazers, batons, and hand cuffs , and have documented on their own ("COPS")PUBLICLY RELEASED AUDIO-VIDEO a tendancy to disrespect the civil rights of ordinary citizens on a daily basis SHOULD BE under constant - I repeat - CONSTANT(independently controlled)video monitoring when on duty.

Trumped up "charges" , arrests, detention, threats of arrest, unlawful search & seizure ?

Is this the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA we are talking about ?

What ever became of " TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE" ?????????????

The protestations about audio-video recording constituting "interference with LEO's in the performance of their official duties" ( ?????) This issue is rapidly affecting my attitude towards LEO's. I really don't think law enforcement in this country wants to continue down this road. An immediate 180 change in direction is in order here by law enforcement - if they don't want to find themselves outside of the "inner circle" of 300 + million people.

I wll not harbor, and feed a "watch dog" that thinks he/she is my "pack leader". Public servants are not our masters. Most Americans recognize the enormous challenges confronting law enforcement, but they will not tolerate this tendancy towards "banana republic" style policing.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 02-02-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    It also talks about the 'raising ire' of law enforcement toward being filmed.
    They're public figures, performing a public service, in public. If they have a hissy, they need to get over it. This is the United States of America, not Nazi Germany.
    Last edited by since9; 02-03-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.