• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 year old brings .22 to school...admits mistake

MilitaryMike

AND GETS ARRESTED!

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/26698559/detail.html

I just watched this horse **** on the news (is a .22 considered a deadly weapon? lol). The best part was some stupid woman giving the comment "What is an 18 year old even doing with a rifle?! He has no business with that". Media at it's best not even reporting that is is LEGAL for an 18 year old to possess a weapon. Ignorance... Kills.... me...

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
AND GETS ARRESTED!

I just watched this horse **** on the news (is a .22 considered a deadly weapon? lol). The best part was some stupid woman giving the comment "What is an 18 year old even doing with a rifle?! He has no business with that". Media at it's best not even reporting that is is LEGAL for an 18 year old to possess a weapon. Ignorance... Kills.... me...

Yea, a .22 is still lethal. This accidentally bringing a firearm to school thing is getting pretty common. Wouldn't be an issue of people would just accept that GFSZ don't work and don't do anything other than create unarmed victims and get good people behind bars.

Nevada carrier

This is a clear case of, doing the right thing and paying for it. He should have just kept his mouth shut. if he had no criminal intent, it would have never been discovered he would have gone home and stored his rifle and no one would have ever known the difference. Now he'll probably loose his right to own and posses a firearm because he did what he thought was the right thing. It was the right thing for the DA, but the wrong thing for him.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
What a real shame. I suppose he did technically violate the law. But what a senseless law. It's illegal to hurt or threaten people, so what's the point of a law which criminalizes something in which no one is hurt or threatened. All I can hope is this goes to a jury and they nullify this.

KBCraig

Young said that despite the circumstances, if a firearm is brought onto school campus, there will be an arrest, since the school district has a zero-tolerance policy on weapons.

"If we had not, then another parent or community person would say that we were showing favoritism, so it's a no-win situation for us," Young said.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the "Zero Tolerance policy" in a nutshell: fear of having to make a judgment and stand by it.

It's just so much easier to be a coward hiding behind policy, than to catch political heat for a decision.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
Kids all over the US have been kicked out of school for drawing guns (no not drawing to fire -- drawing, as in sketching with a pencil and paper!), for pretending to have guns and fake guns, for having gun-shaped objects and even for carrying a butter knife! All because of "zero tolerance" policies.

One thing I agree with the NRA on is their "Zero Tolerence = Zero Common Sense" article they put out. One of my favorites:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4432

Nevada carrier

I am glad my daughter goes to a common sense school. Her recent science project was a study to determine if an electronic red-dot sight v. iron sights improved accuracy on a Ruger .22 MKIII pistol and why. Her end of the year controversial subject paper is going to be on 2nd Amendment rights and the failure of gun control laws! (Eighth grade, BTW).

At least two of her teachers are vietnam vets. I was invited to re-enlist a Sailor at their veteran's day assembly.

She must go to a private school.

MKEgal

"What is an 18 year old even doing with a rifle?! He has no business with that!"
I'm sure all the young men & women in our armed services got their blood pressure up when they saw/heard that...
Not to mention those who are law enforcement, or peace officers...
Or simply those who carry for the protection of themselves & their livestock while working...

Any school district with a zero-tolerance policy (for ANYTHING) should cut the pay for its administrators & teachers, since they have to think less than they would otherwise.

Part of an administrator's job is to make decisions, yes even hard & unpopular decisions (like, oh, "this boy isn't a threat & we should give him a half day suspension & tell him to take the afternoon to take the rifle home & think about why he shouldn't bring it back to school instead of having him arrested, and if any whiny anti-rights liberals get wind of it they can kiss my grits").

I also think that part of social studies / civics class starting at least in middle school should be the Flex Your Rights videos.

Lord Sega

NavyLt

Be sure to post (with her permission) the 2 papers when done (including grade), would love to read them!!!

My oldest girl is 8th grade and last year when I was explaining about why I got a CHL when I OC all the time (to avoid UOC city ordinances, gfsz, etc) she gave me the most confused look, and when I explained about gun free signs on businesses and schools she burst out with "that's just stupid, that's not gonna stop a bad guy."

... so even a 13 year old gets it. Now if we can just get the gun grabbers to listen to logic that even kids understand...

wrightme

I am glad my daughter goes to a common sense school. Her recent science project was a study to determine if an electronic red-dot sight v. iron sights improved accuracy on a Ruger .22 MKIII pistol and why. Her end of the year controversial subject paper is going to be on 2nd Amendment rights and the failure of gun control laws! (Eighth grade, BTW).

At least two of her teachers are vietnam vets. I was invited to re-enlist a Sailor at their veteran's day assembly.

Can it also enter in the NRA YES program?

Last edited:

MilitaryMike

I was being sarcastic about the .22 and deadly weapon comment.

I just think it is ******** that out society doesn't reward honesty and throws a honest citizen in jail for it. That must promote faith in the system.. Hell, it makes you want to be dishonest.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
Even if not "dishonest" at least "not forthcoming". Many of the CCW folks I know will NEVER tell a police officer they're carrying ever again. There are too many examples of a law abiding citizen giving an officer an honest heads-up about the presence of a weapon and any number of things happening -- being put in handcuffs, harassed for not having a blue card, yelled at for not telling him sooner, etc. It's just not worth it.

So yeah, I agree, completely backwards system that penalizes honesty.

vroom_vroom

AND GETS ARRESTED!

Please tell me your not serious my 22lr will blow quarter size chunks out of the back of a piece of plywood at 100 yard **** yes it's deadly

aadvark

Posted to Everyone on Nevada Thread:

Nevada Revised Code 202.265(2) Enumerates this Crime as a Gross Misdemeanor.

At Worse..., Mr. Patella could be Facing a Gross Misdemeanor Charge, NOT a Felony.

Secondly, even if Convicted, He does NOT Lose His Right to Keep and Bear Arms under Nevada Revised Code 193.140 as such Crime is Punishable ONLY by Imprisonment in The County Jail for NOT more than 1 Year and a Fine of NOT more than $2,000.

Since this Misdemenaor is a State Misdemeanor that Carries a Penalty of Less than 2 Years in Jail, Mr. Patella is NOT a Person Rendered Statutorily Inelgible for Firearms Possesion under either Nevada Law 202.360 OR Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(1).

aadvark

Last edited:

aadvark

Still though, a Misdemeanor Conviction, although Undesirable, is NOT as Severe as a Felony Disposition.

Needless to say though..., Possession of a Firearm in a School Zone Charge looks Bad on anyone, in Todays' World, with ALL of The Anti-Gun Publicity and Firearm-related Issues in 21st Century America.

Nevada Revised Statute 179.245 would Provide a Remedy as for Sealing His Records, should He be Adjudicated for this Criminal Accusation, to be withheld from The Public. However, under Nevada Revised Statute 179.245(7) such Favorable Disposition would not be Availiable to Him for 7 Years, or Approximately until The Year 2018.

Hopefully, The Clark County District Attorneys' Office will File for a Dismissal of The Warrant Issued, Post His Arrest, under Nevada Revised Statute 178.554.

In either Instance, though, certainly a Reasoanble Prosecutor, Judge, or Jury would DEFINATELY find Acts of Honesty in this Situation as Mitigating, Albeit being Unable to Locate a Mitigating Factor Nevada Revised Statute Code Section.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Mistakes Happen, I took a trip last week to a less friendly state. I had packed a few clothes in a small bag for my trip. When I got home I was unpacking my bag, and discovered in one of the pockets was a 18 round capacity magazine that I forgot to take out when I got back from shooting. It was 100% a mistake as I have never carried the gun that it belongs to, and was shocked to find it. The moral of this story is DO NOT CONSENT TO SEARCHES.

Nevada carrier

Mistakes Happen, I took a trip last week to a less friendly state. I had packed a few clothes in a small bag for my trip. When I got home I was unpacking my bag, and discovered in one of the pockets was a 18 round capacity magazine that I forgot to take out when I got back from shooting. It was 100% a mistake as I have never carried the gun that it belongs to, and was shocked to find it. The moral of this story is DO NOT CONSENT TO SEARCHES.

Also, for a warrant to be legal, they ave to be able to articulate to a judge what they are looking for, where the expect to find it, and what makes them believe they will find it there. They can only look in places where the item they are looking for could be. For instance, just as an example, if they come to your house looking for an elephant, they can't reasonable expect to find it inside a breadbox. so if they find a stash of some contraband inside a breadbox when their warrant stated that they were searching for an elephant, the evidence must be excluded.

Last edited: