Thread: Visible shotgun on motorcycle.

Banned

Visible shotgun on motorcycle.

so what's the law with this i searched for about 10 hours and it seems kinda grey. carry a shotgun in a saddle bag with 3/4 to 1/2 of it showing. assuming your able to own it, has a trigger lock, lock secures it in place, unloaded. i live in illinois btw.

Banned
    suprised none of you gun nuts know, oh well.

Banned
    Well, if you are looking for an answer, may I make two suggestions?

First, post your question in the Illinois forum. The States are listed in alphabetical order at the bottom of the main index.

Second, it usually does not pay to be snarky to the folks you are asking for help.

well, well, well,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by buckcr250r View Post
    suprised none of you gun nuts know, oh well.
    he can afford to be snarky!!
    he probably wont even be back!
    we have seen plenty of new posters start right off with a crappy attitude.
    he is probably 16 yrs old, and doesnt even own a motorcycle, or a shotgun!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Banned

Smile

i'm here to stay and i do own a few guns and two motorcycles. sorry if i came off as rude. consider myself as a gun nut, ps3 nut, motocross nut, ect. no hard feelings. it just seemed dead in the illinois section so i asked here. btw i turned 21 a few weeks ago.

just trying to learn my rights that's all.
    Last edited by buckcr250r; 02-02-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I think you will find that it needs to be fully encased.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

well,,,,

grape was posting while i was doing your research

How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?

Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms- the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act. Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that are not immediately accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal Code. The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any vehicle be unloaded and in a case. Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be transported:
    1. Unloaded and,
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
    Source: Illinois State Police titled “Transport Your Gun Legally” – Commonly asked questions on transporting firearms. George H. Ryan, Governor; Illinois State Police, Sam W. Nolen, Director; Dept. of Natural Resources, Brent Manning, Director.
    (Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois, ISP Central Printing Section, ISP 1-154 [8-00] 70M).
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    grape was posting while i was doing your research
    Two different divergent locations, aiming at a common target, is oft referred to as "triangulation." It is very effective, especially when both are on target.

Yours is more specific and a dead center shot.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    i posted exactly what i'm about to say in like 4 forums...what is considered enclosed? most of it showing, half of it showing, leather flap covering the top of it? i like to get to it easily IF needed.

i posted exactly what i'm about to say in like 4 forums...what is considered enclosed? most of it showing, half of it showing, leather flap covering the top of it? i like to get to it easily IF needed.
    Enclosed does NOT been partly visible - that much is common sense.

Enclosed generally means in a container that restricts access and unloaded being another cited requirement, fairly well precludes getting to it easily. In fact, I am sure that is the intention - transportation being allowed, but quick access not.

Suggest you run this by legal council or get involved and learn to research.
    Illinois statutes and municipal ordinances are a nightmare of cross application - city and county ordinances may effect you too. Good luck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Enclosed does NOT been partly visible - that much is common sense.
    so where does it say it has to be in a full case? if it's locked in place out in the open with a key doesn't that restrict access?

well,,,,

enclosed - definition of enclosed by the Free Online Dictionary ...

en·close ( n-kl z ) also in·close ( n-). tr.v. en·closed also in·closed, en·clos·ing also in·clos·ing, en·clos·es also in·clos·es ...
    www.thefreedictionary.com/enclosed - Cached - Similar

you strike me as one lazy guy

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Well he is just 21.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

so where does it say it has to be in a full case? if it's locked in place out in the open with a key doesn't that restrict access?
    1. Unloaded and,
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
    Unless specifically exempted from UUW, a person commits a Class 4 Felony if he or she violates the UUW law
    in the Criminal Code (i.e., unlawfully carries on their person or illegally transports a firearm in a vehicle) AND
    one or more of the following aggravating factors apply:
    (1) The firearm possessed was uncased, loaded, and immediately accessible at the time of the offense;
    (2) The firearm possessed was uncased, unloaded, and the ammunition for the weapon was immediately
    accessible at the time of the offense;
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

If those cites aren't good enough for you or if you purely want to be argumentative, then I suggest that you do what you will and ride around Chicago for a couple of days and let us know how that works out for you - otherwise the question has been asked and answered.

Banned
    so by definition if this had a flap on top and a locking system to keep the gun in, it would be ok? i'm not going to drive 8 hours to chicago btw.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KnrjEyD9y2...compressed.jpg
    Last edited by buckcr250r; 02-03-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Centurion
    UNLESS Illinois codes say differently, a soft sided zippered rifle case would fit for "enclosed." Unloaded and FOID card would be up to you. How you secure the stuff to your bike or saddlebags is entirely up to you....

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    enclosed - definition of enclosed by the Free Online Dictionary ...

en·close ( n-kl z ) also in·close ( n-). tr.v. en·closed also in·closed, en·clos·ing also in·clos·ing, en·clos·es also in·clos·es ...
    www.thefreedictionary.com/enclosed - Cached - Similar
    When dealing with Law and Statutes it's wise to use Legal definitions, not dictionary. There can be and IS very different meanings to simple terms. Using the wrong word, can have very drastic complications in a system built on words.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    When dealing with Law and Statutes it's wise to use Legal definitions, not dictionary. There can be and IS very different meanings to simple terms. Using the wrong word, can have very drastic complications in a system built on words.
    OK, so what is the legal definition in Illinois? Because, absent one, the courts will use the commonly accepted definition, usually found in a dictionary.

Heads up, this guy is a troll. See other posts.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Heads up, this guy is a troll. See other posts.
    Ya I know, that's why I was showing a little attitude. He won't be here long I don't expect.

Banned
    im still here

im still here
    Yes, I know. But where are your inflammatory posts?
    Last edited by sultan62; 02-04-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    OK, so what is the legal definition in Illinois? Because, absent one, the courts will use the commonly accepted definition, usually found in a dictionary.
    I don't have a Law Dictionary on hand, without going to the Library. So at this point, it's not important enough to warrant a special trip. But I will, if it's important. I was just simply warning to be careful about giving out definitions in a legal discussion. It can lead someone astray easily.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info