Thread: 171.7 pc

171.7 pc

New California law for 2011.

P.C. 171.7 (New): Weapons in Public Transit Facilities:
    Knowingly possessing a specified weapon within a sterile area of a public transit facility, if the sterile area has a
    posted sign that provides reasonable notice.
    Misdemeanor: Six months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.
    The section applies to the following weapons: Firearms; imitation firearms; BB, pellet, or air pressure guns; military
    practice hand grenades; replica hand grenades; unauthorized tear gas weapons; and undetectable knives. Exempts
    peace officers, retired peace officers, specified law enforcement officers, and persons responsible for public transit
    security.
    Public transit includes buses, streetcars, light rail systems, rapid transit systems, subways, trains, and motor vehicles.
    This new section does not prevent prosecution under any other provision of law.

Quote Originally Posted by ConsideringOC View Post
    Public transit includes buses, streetcars, light rail systems, rapid transit systems, subways, trains, and motor vehicles
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

So if you have a CCW, you can't go to a bus station?

Knowingly possessing a specified weapon within a sterile area of a public transit facility, if the sterile area has a
    The section applies to the following weapons: Firearms; imitation firearms; BB, pellet, or air pressure guns; military
    practice hand grenades; replica hand grenades; unauthorized tear gas weapons; and undetectable knives. Exempts
    peace officers, retired peace officers, specified law enforcement officers, and persons responsible for public transit
    security.
    Public transit includes buses, streetcars, light rail systems, rapid transit systems, subways, trains, and motor vehicles.
    I believe this pertains to areas "sterile" as in limited access thru checkpoint/scanner and clearly marked/delineated (such as an airport terminal area). Although if they designate an area sterile that one can drive their personal Automobile into im not sure if this would apply, but it sure is very gray.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    This sounds like AB 2324 from last year. Both the NRA and the CRPA supported that bill.

ETA: It's PC 171.7 if anybody cares.
    Last edited by bigtoe416; 02-02-2011 at 04:15 PM.

I think it has a huge target on its back for being 'unconstitutionally vague'

It has two huge holes in it that I see.

(2) "Sterile area" means any portion of a public transit facility
    that is generally controlled in a manner consistent with the public
    transit authority's security plan.

the other is

(g) This section shall be interpreted so as to be consistent with
    Section 926A of Title 18 of the United States Code.

if I remember correctly, the two clauses greatly disagree with each other.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    I think it has a huge target on its back for being 'unconstitutionally vague'

It has two huge holes in it that I see.

(2) "Sterile area" means any portion of a public transit facility
    that is generally controlled in a manner consistent with the public
    transit authority's security plan.

the other is

(g) This section shall be interpreted so as to be consistent with
    Section 926A of Title 18 of the United States Code.

if I remember correctly, the two clauses greatly disagree with each other.
    Great points. 926A deals with interstate travel with a firearm:

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
    who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
    transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
    the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.
    So if I wish to travel from SF to Colorado by train, I'd need to first take a subway line to BART then take a bus to get on Amtrak. This would be considered part of my interstate travels, and thus I should be able to carry a firearm in accordance with 926A, but I'd be violating 171.7. Consistent? No.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    So if I wish to travel from SF to Colorado by train, I'd need to first take a subway line to BART then take a bus to get on Amtrak. This would be considered part of my interstate travels, and thus I should be able to carry a firearm in accordance with 926A, but I'd be violating 171.7. Consistent? No.
    Well, you deal in "logic" and "reason". That's your problem right there....

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    Great points. 926A deals with interstate travel with a firearm:

I have used all of those forms of transit and never passed through a sterile area... only at the airport do I pass through a sterile area. Is this going to be changing?

the kicker is that if they make an area "sterile" by definition allowing Privately Owned Vehicles to access the area without a full search of the vehicle would make the area "unsterile"

Pretty sure that falls under the whole "constitutionally vague" thing too....
    Last edited by devildoc5; 02-14-2011 at 05:31 AM.
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

are they going to be making sterile places of public transit?

Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post
    are they going to be making sterile places of public transit?
    There are people who are under the belief that the "restricting" (read not letting us have/use them when we need them) of our firearms is just one step along a long and winding road.

There are also those that will tell you that the Rhineland boasted about their gun control laws and their mandatory registration (sound familiar?)

Those same people will tell you that these measures were put into place just before a bunch of random "checkpoints" started popping up. These checkpoints were "to ensure continued safety"

Sounds kinda like a sterile area to me....

Remember those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it....

But then again I am just an overly paranoid neo-nazi skinhead thighrig wearing bluberring fool (joke from WA forums)
    Last edited by devildoc5; 02-15-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Red face

I find it interesting that the law seems to prohibit "fake" grenades, but not real grenades.

I don't have a car and I take the bus, so does that mean I wont be able to have my weapon in a locked case either? Or does this law apply for Open Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Syst3m Ov3rrid3 View Post
    I don't have a car and I take the bus, so does that mean I wont be able to have my weapon in a locked case either? Or does this law apply for Open Carry?
    The law specifically states "possessing". So I an pretty sure that is all forms of possessing.

However it also clarifies "sterile areas" and "clearly marked". My guess would be no sign, no valid law.... YMMV.

Called Attorney Chuck Michel for some info pertaining P.C. 171.7 to find out in regards to carrying unloaded in a locked container on a bus. Waiting for a call back.

security.
    Oh, geez, and for geezem pete, can't they CA adminstrators get it right?

Here's a viable alternative:

1. All citizens of the United States of America may freely carry, either openly or concealed, firearms of any and all types unless:
    1.a. They have been convicted of a felony.
    1.b. They have been adjudicated by three distinct and wholly and separable competant medical authorities, at the state's expense, that they are unworthy of firearms possession IAW DSM IV or subsequent equivalent.
    1.b.1. Should any competant medical authority recognized under the same standards as given above render the individual competant to carry a firearm, said individual will be restored his/her full rights without pause or cause.
    1.b.2. Should said individual further engage in actions deemed unlawful, the issues will be considered at the 1.0 level as given above.

Is it THAT TOO FRICKING DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO GET THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS?

Sheesh, folks, and to think I was 3/4 of my way towards a degree in physics before I spent a "whopping" 11-1/2 minutes putting this to text.

California lawmakers, YOU SUCK.

Go back to slehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xN9r0bWe78ep... Yes, they were messed up, but compared to what you're messing up 1,000 ways to Sunday today... You're still way messed up.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.