Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry at home? You should.

Carry at home? You should.

I do and this guy was lucky that he opened his door with a firearm in his hand...

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crim...uld-be-robbers

Just as a note, it's pretty obvious why the thugs chose him, note the bling he was carrying at 1:45 in the report... OC of a sort, I guess.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

I always have a gun and a big dog within arms reach.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Good for him, always glad to hear things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    I always have a gun and a big dog within arms reach.
    me too.
    I don't "carry" at home.
    Kinda hard when I wear t-shirt and boxers 99.999% of the time i am in house.

I'm also WELL KNOWN to own guns.... and to be ARMED.
    Never try to conceal firearms when coming or going from the house.

Thieves aren't really stupid, so they leave my place alone.

OC'ing and people knowing you have firearms is a lot like cop cars sitting outside a convenience store.
    It PREVENTS robberies.
    What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand ???

James: Ain't this a little showy, Pa? I mean with the guns out an' all?

Big Jake: James, don't be fooled. They all know what's in this box, and they all want it. what we're doin' with this audacious DISplay is tellin' 'em they can't have it. Who knows, we may be savin' some poor miscreant soul's life this way.

www.dixieleather.com - www.dixiepreparedness.org

24/7/365 inside,outside,around the home @ all times from now on. Once bitten, as the saying goes.. Never again.

I don't carry at home, either, but it's always within reach.

The article got me thinking, though, and from now on, while taking a shower, I'm locking the bathroom door and storing my firearm in the closet, right next to the shower, and accessible only through the bathroom.

I never unlock the door unless I either know the individual or I'm carrying. Twice in a year and a half I've told strangers, "Go away - I'm not interested."

OC is a great way to intimidate census takers, too.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

If it's always there, it's always there....I wore it around the house and yard to get used to it before I ventured out. It felt like something was there for awhile, but, now, I don't even notice it, but unconciously move it to sit certain ways, or do certain things. It's also a good feeling when you are getting ready to answer the door, and you can left hand door knob, eyes out the window, and right hand near a comforting tool that you hope is never needed.
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

A man I know had an experience last year that convinced him to have a firearm at hand 24/7.

It seems some persons tried to do a Home Invasion on him in the wee hours one night. He was able to deflect them, but he wasn't quite prepared. His attitude now is:Never Again.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Another good case of carrying at home is the Dartmouth college professors. The killers had attempted it before they got the professors about 6 months earlier and were scared off by a man who was carrying a Glock in the house. I remember reading the story about it in a magazine some years ago. Can read about it here .
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

My own situation is a little bit different than the "norm". Because of it-I've learned the hard lesson that anything can happen-anywhere/anytime.
    I live in a semi-rural area. Very quiet,little to no crime to speak of, for the most part.
    However, one knucklehead down the road-4 houses down- has, in recent months, gone on a spree of break-ins,and home-invasions in the area.
    Everyone in the area is aware of him and the situation-yet no one has enough "proof" yet, for him to be arrested or charged with anything. A frustrating situation both for us residents, and for the cops.

So, in the meantime,all of us are faced with a constant, on-going, threat against which we must take our own measures to defend. Typical LEO response time to our area-even for an active "shots-fired" call, has averaged 45-50 minutes. By which time, he has retreated back to his home, and stashed any firearms he has been using,etc.

He's already attempted my place once-and in the process shot and killed one of my dogs-who was barking to alert us to his approach. The night this occured, I had nothing on my person, and, had I not gone inside a moment to get a message, would likely have been shot along with the dog.
    So, ever since-its OPEN carry 24/7 inside/outside/around the home. CCW every waking moment every where else.
    I've made a point of being very visibly armed either with sidearm or shotgun or both, everytime that -or any other- neighbor can see me. Thus far, that deterrent has had it's effect. Should that deterrent fail, or overcome his "common-sense", I'll at least be in some way equipped to better handle the situation next time.

Strange, 100% of home invasions happen in the home...

I was having a discussion with a CCer on another forum about home carry and he thought it was nuts. Especially with kids in the house. It never occurred to him that a bad guy might visit him at home...

My view is that the safest place for my firearm is in a nice level 2 retention holster strapped to Papa's hip 24/7/365. Hard for a kid to find and play with it there and it's always ready for the bad guys or a quick trip out of the house. Also I don't need a trigger lock or a safe for it. At night it sleeps in it's holster on my nightstand next to my flashlight.

The other guns in the house are locked up or with Mama as needed. Half of my kids are gun safe but the latest additions, at 3.5 and 1.5 years old are not. Things might change as time passes. Dunno.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

I carry at home. I think it is more important in the summer time when many of us have our windows and screen doors open thus making our homes more accessible.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    My own situation is a little bit different than the "norm". Because of it-I've learned the hard lesson that anything can happen-anywhere/anytime.
    I live in a semi-rural area. Very quiet,little to no crime to speak of, for the most part.
    However, one knucklehead down the road-4 houses down- has, in recent months, gone on a spree of break-ins,and home-invasions in the area.
    Everyone in the area is aware of him and the situation-yet no one has enough "proof" yet, for him to be arrested or charged with anything. A frustrating situation both for us residents, and for the cops.

So, in the meantime,all of us are faced with a constant, on-going, threat against which we must take our own measures to defend. Typical LEO response time to our area-even for an active "shots-fired" call, has averaged 45-50 minutes. By which time, he has retreated back to his home, and stashed any firearms he has been using,etc.

He's already attempted my place once-and in the process shot and killed one of my dogs-who was barking to alert us to his approach. The night this occured, I had nothing on my person, and, had I not gone inside a moment to get a message, would likely have been shot along with the dog.
    So, ever since-its OPEN carry 24/7 inside/outside/around the home. CCW every waking moment every where else.
    I've made a point of being very visibly armed either with sidearm or shotgun or both, everytime that -or any other- neighbor can see me. Thus far, that deterrent has had it's effect. Should that deterrent fail, or overcome his "common-sense", I'll at least be in some way equipped to better handle the situation next time.

If i knew for a fact it was him and he shot my dog he'd me a walking dead man

My dog is my best friend and I'll be damned if anyone is killing him.
    He guards my house for me and would alert me of a intruder in the night

And I also have many many arms to protect myself

Edid: and yes i carry my pistol all over my house
    even the bathroom and shower

2 people dead within 100 yards of me from home invasion
    im not taking ANY CHANCES
    Last edited by CarryHard; 04-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarryHard View Post

This kind of rash talk has no place on OCDO, per Rule #15:
    WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
    There is a good chance that the above statement will be brought up in court if the poster is ever involved in a self defense shooting incident, and used against them as "proof" of their desire to shoot someone.

I understand you affection towards your dog. As much as you may love your dog it is not justifiable/excusable to kill someone because they shot your dog.

We are almost always going to be behind the curve when it comes to self defense. That's the price we pay for being law-abiding citizens.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    This kind of rash talk has no place on OCDO, per Rule #15:

There is a good chance that the above statement will be brought up in court if the poster is ever involved in a self defense shooting incident, and used against them as "proof" of their desire to shoot someone.

I understand you affection towards your dog. As much as you may love your dog it is not justifiable/excusable to kill someone because they shot your dog.

We are almost always going to be behind the curve when it comes to self defense. That's the price we pay for being law-abiding citizens.

stay safe.
    yes it is my right to shoot them
    they come on my property (posted no trespassing)
    break inside my house
    and shoot my dog

then they will be either injured or dead.
    Last edited by CarryHard; 04-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.

break inside my house
    and shoot my dog

So, you add a new dimension to the scenario in order to justify your previous comment. Are you looking for cover or just trying to add drama?

stay safe.

PS - Please send me a picture of you, so I'll know who to stay away from. It's part of my "avoid stupid places, avoid stupid people" program.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    break inside my house
    and shoot my dog

Not looking to get into any sort of discussion as you have your thoughts about this. I would only suggest to you that you familiarize yourself with your state's laws regarding the use of deadly force. Take a class or seminar, heck take several, before you do something that could cause you untold hearache and ruin for the rest of your life.

Please consider this for what it is: a recommendation that if taken by you could save your future.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 04-09-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Well done old fella !!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    I do and this guy was lucky that he opened his door with a firearm in his hand...

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crim...uld-be-robbers

Just as a note, it's pretty obvious why the thugs chose him, note the bling he was carrying at 1:45 in the report... OC of a sort, I guess.
    Much respect old fella.....should have got all three of them let that serve as a warning to all the criminals out there, america is "locked and loaded" hope you recover from your wounds soon
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Banned
    Thank you skidmark and SouthernBoy. We can only hope that your words will temper the thinking of the addressed poster. Likely they won't. However, rest assured that you have surely reached someone else who is reading this thread and whose thinking has rationalized a bit as a result of your gentle reminders.

I know how most people feel about their dogs but you go after someone who is running around terrorizing your neighborhood with a gun in your hand you risk ending up like this guy.

http://www.10news.com/news/3948807/detail.html

No matter how justified he may have been, he still spent 9 years in prison.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    I know how most people feel about their dogs but you go after someone who is running around terrorizing your neighborhood with a gun in your hand you risk ending up like this guy.

http://www.10news.com/news/3948807/detail.html

No matter how justified he may have been, he still spent 9 years in prison.
    Agreed, but in that case out of all the documented reports of that dirt bag nearly killing too many people. The so called justice system failed that man, and i feel zero pity for that dirt bag."Neighbors documented more than 150 incidents affecting 42 victims."John Harper had driven at me in his car. He used his car to assault my son. He threw rocks at my daughter," neighbor Barbara Bunderson said." Yet the police did nothing, how that man was found guilty of protecting his family when the so called justice system did nothing is just plain wrong. If this happened to my family and I got the same response for help from law enforcement I cant say I wouldn't do the same. What that man did is justice. Expecting justice from our laws or the laws of any nation on earth is a fool's errand. "It isn’t going to happen." The only justice that happens is when laws are not involved. You can obtain justice on a small village level, maybe, but nowhere else in the world is it likely. Under most systems of laws it is not even an objective.
    Last edited by zack991; 04-09-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Locale: Open Range (uber-rural) within about 30 miles from the Mexican border. I carry 'something' at all times at home as much as is practical or have something handy-by 24/7. I open carry off-site at all other times.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    I was having a discussion with a CCer on another forum about home carry and he thought it was nuts. Especially with kids in the house. It never occurred to him that a bad guy might visit him at home...
    Did he say how the perp would "shoot you first since you're the one with a gun."? Does he CC only when no kids are around??
    Last edited by Mo; 04-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.

"I understand you affection towards your dog. As much as you may love your dog it is not justifiable/excusable to kill someone because they shot your dog."

Not to re-ignite another dispute,but.. this one call's for a comment or two.

No,you dont even begin to understand unless/until it happens to you. For some of you out there,a dog is just a dog or whatever. An attitude I've encountered with folks in enfuriating numbers since my incident.
    My dog, as is the case for many dog owners, was as much a member of my family as any kid I might have. As far as I'm concerned, the dog was pretty much my kid,and her murder is just as serious a matter to me as if they had come down and killed a kid of mine. If that sounds "nuts" to you, then do your kids and/or pets a favor, and put them up for adoption, they do not deserve you,nor the harm you will likely bring upon them someday.

Futher, an attack on my home and upon anyone residing at or visiting my home, is still an attack on my home. Any further such attacks will indeed be met with lethal force ,if needed. I no longer can, nor will I, assume that any such attempt would be limited to "just" my dogs.

Local LE have been made 100% aware of this fact -and my intentions,local law supports this fact, the prime suspect in my case has most certainly been made fully aware of this fact-both by myself and local LE. There's been no room made for any doubts on this matter, I can assure you.

Further, the particulars of this case bring in some points not often considered or discussed- that yes, while the dog was shot ON my property, the shooter was not himself On the property. He fired a shotgun from approx: 30-40 meters from off-property to on property.
    Does this make the situation any less of an attack? There can very well be a situation in which one may have to take action to defend themselves from an armed, lethal threat at a greater than usual distance, or off-property. One cannot always rely on the law,so to speak, to wait for the target to come on-property or whatever..

Factor in also, that in the same area, LEO response times to shots-fired calls have averaged 45-50 minutes, at least. There are no "time-outs" in combat. There is no "chivalry" or "sporting behavior" when one is taking incomming. And 9 times out of 10, when one comes under attack, there is little to no oppty to retreat to safety or cover,and that attack rarely/if ever, will take place when/where YOU choose to have it happen. You have to deal with/return fire from wherever you happen to be, and return it TO wherever the target happens to be.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    No,you dont even begin to understand unless/until it happens to you.
    It wouldn't matter if your dog was your entire extended family's best friend for life, had picked the winning $200 Million Powerball lottery numbers for you, and saved all the kids from drowning. If you shoot another human being only because they shot your dog, it remains murder in the eyes of the law.

On the other hand, if someone shoots my dog and keeps their firearm out, they've demonstrated harmful intent and remain a clear and present danger. Being in immediate fear of life or life, I'd be fully justified under Colorado State Law to defend myself against this immediate threat.

The circumstances between murder and justified self-defence occasionally boil down to a mere nuance. As has been previously suggested, know your local, county, and state regs cold.

We just had an officer involved shooting here in Colorado Springs, after which the news covered the ongoing training undertaken by local LEOs, as well as the decision-making process wherein a shooting might be justified. From what I understand, the perp was firing at other houses, began firing at officers when they showed, and refused to stop when challenged. I don't think things get much clearer than that.

Returning fire after some jerk shot my dog? By comparison, that's about as muddy as it can get.

The point made was stay out of jail! If you think it's right to avenge the death of your best furry friend and are prepared to pull a decade or three in prison, I'm with skidmark in that I don't know what to think of you decision-making skills or thought processes except that they sound foreign to my law-abiding tendancies.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast