• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at home? You should.

MedicineMan

I always have a gun and a big dog within arms reach.

me too.
I don't "carry" at home.
Kinda hard when I wear t-shirt and boxers 99.999% of the time i am in house.

I'm also WELL KNOWN to own guns.... and to be ARMED.
Never try to conceal firearms when coming or going from the house.

Thieves aren't really stupid, so they leave my place alone.

OC'ing and people knowing you have firearms is a lot like cop cars sitting outside a convenience store.
It PREVENTS robberies.

j4l

24/7/365 inside,outside,around the home @ all times from now on. Once bitten, as the saying goes.. Never again.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I don't carry at home, either, but it's always within reach.

The article got me thinking, though, and from now on, while taking a shower, I'm locking the bathroom door and storing my firearm in the closet, right next to the shower, and accessible only through the bathroom.

I never unlock the door unless I either know the individual or I'm carrying. Twice in a year and a half I've told strangers, "Go away - I'm not interested."

OC is a great way to intimidate census takers, too. :)

Red Dawg

If it's always there, it's always there....I wore it around the house and yard to get used to it before I ventured out. It felt like something was there for awhile, but, now, I don't even notice it, but unconciously move it to sit certain ways, or do certain things. It's also a good feeling when you are getting ready to answer the door, and you can left hand door knob, eyes out the window, and right hand near a comforting tool that you hope is never needed.

OldCurlyWolf

A man I know had an experience last year that convinced him to have a firearm at hand 24/7.

It seems some persons tried to do a Home Invasion on him in the wee hours one night. He was able to deflect them, but he wasn't quite prepared. His attitude now is:Never Again.

:cool:

XDFDE45

Another good case of carrying at home is the Dartmouth college professors. The killers had attempted it before they got the professors about 6 months earlier and were scared off by a man who was carrying a Glock in the house. I remember reading the story about it in a magazine some years ago. Can read about it here .

j4l

My own situation is a little bit different than the "norm". Because of it-I've learned the hard lesson that anything can happen-anywhere/anytime.
I live in a semi-rural area. Very quiet,little to no crime to speak of, for the most part.
However, one knucklehead down the road-4 houses down- has, in recent months, gone on a spree of break-ins,and home-invasions in the area.
Everyone in the area is aware of him and the situation-yet no one has enough "proof" yet, for him to be arrested or charged with anything. A frustrating situation both for us residents, and for the cops.

So, in the meantime,all of us are faced with a constant, on-going, threat against which we must take our own measures to defend. Typical LEO response time to our area-even for an active "shots-fired" call, has averaged 45-50 minutes. By which time, he has retreated back to his home, and stashed any firearms he has been using,etc.

He's already attempted my place once-and in the process shot and killed one of my dogs-who was barking to alert us to his approach. The night this occured, I had nothing on my person, and, had I not gone inside a moment to get a message, would likely have been shot along with the dog.
So, ever since-its OPEN carry 24/7 inside/outside/around the home. CCW every waking moment every where else.
I've made a point of being very visibly armed either with sidearm or shotgun or both, everytime that -or any other- neighbor can see me. Thus far, that deterrent has had it's effect. Should that deterrent fail, or overcome his "common-sense", I'll at least be in some way equipped to better handle the situation next time.

Freedom First

Strange, 100% of home invasions happen in the home...

I was having a discussion with a CCer on another forum about home carry and he thought it was nuts. Especially with kids in the house. It never occurred to him that a bad guy might visit him at home...

My view is that the safest place for my firearm is in a nice level 2 retention holster strapped to Papa's hip 24/7/365. Hard for a kid to find and play with it there and it's always ready for the bad guys or a quick trip out of the house. Also I don't need a trigger lock or a safe for it. At night it sleeps in it's holster on my nightstand next to my flashlight.

The other guns in the house are locked up or with Mama as needed. Half of my kids are gun safe but the latest additions, at 3.5 and 1.5 years old are not. Things might change as time passes. Dunno.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I carry at home. I think it is more important in the summer time when many of us have our windows and screen doors open thus making our homes more accessible.

CarryHard

My own situation is a little bit different than the "norm". Because of it-I've learned the hard lesson that anything can happen-anywhere/anytime.
I live in a semi-rural area. Very quiet,little to no crime to speak of, for the most part.
However, one knucklehead down the road-4 houses down- has, in recent months, gone on a spree of break-ins,and home-invasions in the area.
Everyone in the area is aware of him and the situation-yet no one has enough "proof" yet, for him to be arrested or charged with anything. A frustrating situation both for us residents, and for the cops.

So, in the meantime,all of us are faced with a constant, on-going, threat against which we must take our own measures to defend. Typical LEO response time to our area-even for an active "shots-fired" call, has averaged 45-50 minutes. By which time, he has retreated back to his home, and stashed any firearms he has been using,etc.

He's already attempted my place once-and in the process shot and killed one of my dogs-who was barking to alert us to his approach. The night this occured, I had nothing on my person, and, had I not gone inside a moment to get a message, would likely have been shot along with the dog.
So, ever since-its OPEN carry 24/7 inside/outside/around the home. CCW every waking moment every where else.
I've made a point of being very visibly armed either with sidearm or shotgun or both, everytime that -or any other- neighbor can see me. Thus far, that deterrent has had it's effect. Should that deterrent fail, or overcome his "common-sense", I'll at least be in some way equipped to better handle the situation next time.

If i knew for a fact it was him and he shot my dog he'd me a walking dead man

My dog is my best friend and I'll be damned if anyone is killing him.
He guards my house for me and would alert me of a intruder in the night

And I also have many many arms to protect myself :D

Edid: and yes i carry my pistol all over my house
even the bathroom and shower

2 people dead within 100 yards of me from home invasion
im not taking ANY CHANCES

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

This kind of rash talk has no place on OCDO, per Rule #15:
WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

There is a good chance that the above statement will be brought up in court if the poster is ever involved in a self defense shooting incident, and used against them as "proof" of their desire to shoot someone.

I understand you affection towards your dog. As much as you may love your dog it is not justifiable/excusable to kill someone because they shot your dog.

We are almost always going to be behind the curve when it comes to self defense. That's the price we pay for being law-abiding citizens.

stay safe.

CarryHard

This kind of rash talk has no place on OCDO, per Rule #15:

There is a good chance that the above statement will be brought up in court if the poster is ever involved in a self defense shooting incident, and used against them as "proof" of their desire to shoot someone.

I understand you affection towards your dog. As much as you may love your dog it is not justifiable/excusable to kill someone because they shot your dog.

We are almost always going to be behind the curve when it comes to self defense. That's the price we pay for being law-abiding citizens.

stay safe.

yes it is my right to shoot them
they come on my property (posted no trespassing)
break inside my house
and shoot my dog

then they will be either injured or dead.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
break inside my house
and shoot my dog

So, you add a new dimension to the scenario in order to justify your previous comment. Are you looking for cover or just trying to add drama?

stay safe.

PS - Please send me a picture of you, so I'll know who to stay away from. It's part of my "avoid stupid places, avoid stupid people" program.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
break inside my house
and shoot my dog

Not looking to get into any sort of discussion as you have your thoughts about this. I would only suggest to you that you familiarize yourself with your state's laws regarding the use of deadly force. Take a class or seminar, heck take several, before you do something that could cause you untold hearache and ruin for the rest of your life.

Please consider this for what it is: a recommendation that if taken by you could save your future.

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Well done old fella !!

I do and this guy was lucky that he opened his door with a firearm in his hand...

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crime/homeowner-shoots-3-would-be-robbers

Just as a note, it's pretty obvious why the thugs chose him, note the bling he was carrying at 1:45 in the report... OC of a sort, I guess.
Much respect old fella.....should have got all three of them let that serve as a warning to all the criminals out there, america is "locked and loaded" hope you recover from your wounds soon

eye95

Thank you skidmark and SouthernBoy. We can only hope that your words will temper the thinking of the addressed poster. Likely they won't. However, rest assured that you have surely reached someone else who is reading this thread and whose thinking has rationalized a bit as a result of your gentle reminders.

tcmech

I know how most people feel about their dogs but you go after someone who is running around terrorizing your neighborhood with a gun in your hand you risk ending up like this guy.

http://www.10news.com/news/3948807/detail.html

No matter how justified he may have been, he still spent 9 years in prison.