• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tribal Lands OC

Freedom First

I was doing a little research here in Washington and I was wondering about other OCer's experiences OCing on "the Rez." Regardless of your State or carry method...

I travel through many in the course of some days and I didn't think about it until yesterday. Thanks! Be safe.

sudden valley gunner

I was doing a little research here in Washington and I was wondering about other OCer's experiences OCing on "the Rez." Regardless of your State or carry method...

I travel through many in the course of some days and I didn't think about it until yesterday. Thanks! Be safe.

I have had no problems on Lummi or Tulalip or Swinomish or Nooksack, but of course my great grandfather was the last surving chief of the Salish Lummi nation. :lol: You can see his great beautiful totems in Pioneer square, Court house of Bellingham and in our sister city and around the world including Japan. But looking mostly white most native folks don't know this when they meet me. Although I probably don't "act" like most white guys.

I have stated this many times before, but it is about respect and familiarity, get to know the tribe show respect and you probably won't have problems, I have found most tribal members I meet and know have great respect for our second amendment and other rights, many which were inherit to the free people of this land before the European conquest.

eye95

Is there a USC that covers this? I would think that a reservation (federally protected land, I think) is not the same as federal land (ACOE, USDA, Dept of Interior, US Parks Dept), and any other federal "reservation".

Reservations generally are sovereign nations, entitled to make their own laws.

bikemutt

I OC on Coleville quite often and have never had an issue. The guy I usually travel with, his family homesteaded those parts before it was a reservation, he knows most of the tribal members, at least the important ones, I'm sure that doesn't hurt my case.

When we haul to other areas on the reservation it's always preceded by a phone call to a tribal member in order to ask permission to explore their lands.

Of all the times we have come in contact with tribal members on the reservation no one seems to even notice we are OC'ing, it's just the way of life in those parts.

Treating all landowner's with respect goes a long way.

sudden valley gunner

Is there a USC that covers this? I would think that a reservation (federally protected land, I think) is not the same as federal land (ACOE, USDA, Dept of Interior, US Parks Dept), and any other federal "reservation".

Eye covered it but would like to add that most reservations do not have the authority to arrest you but can "trespass" you from their property for any reason whatsoever and then you can face arrest from Sheriff.

Some of this is changing though some of the tribes in my area are working at and it looks like they are going to get the power to arrest and try you in their courts.

Freedom First

Nez Perce

Called the Nez Perce Police and they "Follow Idaho law" as their guideline regarding OC/CC. I get to Grangeville sometimes but I've not been since I started OCing.

Kinda wonder about the Yakima Nation. Their reservation/nation is in the middle of a drug gang war zone.

CalicoJack10

+1

The Menominee, Ojibwa, and Oneida rez's that I live near have their own laws. While the state says yes, they all say no. The only have to answer to federal agencies, unless a white is being charged wihth a crime and then it is usually sent to a state jourstiction. But then again, Wisconsin is all Funked up.