Thread: Upcoming Potential Hit Piece - WAVY 10 - 02-02-2011

Question Upcoming Potential Hit Piece - WAVY 10 - 02-02-2011

WAVY 10 is running a story tomorrow (Thursday) night about conceal permits and getting the requisite "training" online.

Of course they make it sound like permit carry is the ONLY way to carry, so it implies that anyone who takes an online course is not qualified - nor should they be able to carry.

I am interested to see which way they run with it, but I can't imagine it is going to be "bias free".

The reason this applies to OC is that they are arguing the part about online training, which implies that certain training should be required to carry.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    link?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I don't think there is a link yet, just a 30 second commercial from WAVY saying they have a story.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

"02-02-2011
    WAVY 10 is running a story tomorrow (Thursday) night about conceal...."

02-02-2011 is a not a thursday.

I will watch it.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 02-02-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Thumbs down

I did not put the date in my original post. One of the Mods must have done that.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I just watched the video. The reporter says that you can take an online course and get your "concealed weapons permit" without firing a gun.

Wonder if she knows that proficiency is not a requirement, no matter what training course you take. I'd email her a clue, but I couldn't find email addy's on WAVY's site.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Exclamation Try This

Based on their typical convention (Andy Fox is "andy.fox@wavy.com") you could try:

lindsey.morone@wavy.com

And then copy someone at the newsdesk. Here is there main list of "personalities" (their word, not mine)

http://www2.wavy.com/subindex/about_us/personalities

true...but...

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    "02-02-2011
    WAVY 10 is running a story tomorrow (Thursday) night about conceal...."

02-02-2011 is a not a thursday.

I will watch it.
    If a post on 2/2/11 says something is happening 'tomorrow'...then the tomorrow TO 2/2/11 actually IS a thursday.

either way, in the Demokratik Republik of Northern Virginia, I won't see it. Let me know how it turns out.
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vt800c View Post
    either way, in the Demokratik Republik of Northern Virginia, I won't see it. Let me know how it turns out.
    Once it airs you will be able to watch it on www.wavy.com in the "news" archives.

James, I sent an email and BCC'ed your "media" email from your site.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Once it airs you will be able to watch it on www.wavy.com in the "news" archives.

James, I sent an email and BCC'ed your "media" email from your site.
    Just saw that...thank you.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Thumbs down

Just saw this garbage. Classic media smear job on VA gun laws. The story suggested:

a) You need a permit to carry a gun on your hip.

b) You need (or should need) a permit and training to purchase a gun.

And most insidiously of all:

c) There is somehow a connection between the recent wave of armed robberies in Va Beach and people getting permits using online training.

Plus the Portsmouth sheriff exposed himself as an ignorant ******.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...ts-backfire%3F

I'm speechless.
    Last edited by Virginian683; 02-04-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Link added

I got my .02 in on the web page.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

It was a typical media piece on firearms. It appears at best that they don't understand the purpose of the class. It is a requirement to get a CHP, and there is more of a focus on the legal aspect such as basic self defense scenarios and where a CHP allows someone to carry a firearm. I spent more time in the classroom and only fired 12 rounds from approximately 7 feet away when I went through the course. That hardly demonstrates "proficiency" with a handgun.

I couldn't help but notice they steered clear of OC that requires neither permits or training. It is incumbent upon the carrier to train and become proficient in using their firearm in self defense situations.

The slope is slippery with more regulation. If you regulate that someone has to shoot X amount of rounds to be "proficient" then it is easy to require that it becomes an annual qualification which gives ground to require any concealed weapon that is carried must be qualified with on a yearly basis.

Anyone who carries a firearm should want to practice and be proficient with it. There will always be a few that don't want to be self initiating, but another regulation will once again just affect the law abiding citizen, and the average criminal will still defy it.

I was disappointed but did expect it to be as lopsided as it was based on the clips they were advertising prior to the segment.

Angry

I hate being right all the time.

Saw the promos for the piece but missed it due to work schedule. After having now seen it - yawn. As is typically the case, this "story" is just that - a story - and is a sensationalized revelation of a non-existent problem.

Portsmouth police officers - yes, I'm talking TO you LT Cherry - should stick to solving crimes. If you weren't so busy sharing your opinion from a desk, maybe Portsmouth could have an additional officer patrolling the streets of their crime-free city. Personally, I avoid Portsmouth like the plague for a reason. Bet he can't guess why.

WAVY should stick to reporting news instead of making it up as it goes along.

The Inside Story

I know somebody who knows somebody inside WAVY-TV. I learned this evening that the "reporter" who did this piece is not a member of the regular reporting staff, but a news room functionary. As a result, the piece contained factual inaccuracies which were obviously not fact-checked. The "real" reporting staff were appalled by the piece and the slip-shod reporting.

After the piece aired, the "reporter" was chastised by the general manager for the inaccuracies and the failure to fact check with sources. In addition, the GM resolved to personally review all future news features.

Sadly, there is no way to unring the bell, and the misinformation is now out there. On the plus side, it seems that WAVY-TV will be more careful in the future.

Sadly, there is no way to unring the bell, and the misinformation is now out there. On the plus side, it seems that WAVY-TV will be more careful in the future.
    Actually there IS, they could run ANOTHER story with the correct facts, but good luck getting that out of them.

The same thing was done at WRIC in Richmond. To me it ended up being a good plug for Dominion Shooting Range.