• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry at barnes and nobles citadel colorado springs

Cofi

i felt a little weird looking for battle hymm of the tiger mom wearing my gun but it went super well didnt even catch any weird stares then stopped by falcon walmart where if your not wearing a gun you get looked at funny :) all in all a very pleasant day OCing in colorado

Cofi

thanks i posted this up because i saw a lot of people were feeling uncomfortable OCing around here i felt weird the first 20 or so times i went out now i dont even think about it

strife1013

thanks i posted this up because i saw a lot of people were feeling uncomfortable OCing around here i felt weird the first 20 or so times i went out now i dont even think about it

It took me around that many times to 'feel comfortable' and still than there are some places I don't want to open carry and would feel better conceal carrying, like the mall for one. Just guess it depends on my mood really, but I just got my CCW permit today so now I can open and conceal carry... which is great because it's hard to open carry in weather like this! lol....

bogidu

I'm pretty sure the malls in Springs are both posted no concealed carry.

It took me around that many times to 'feel comfortable' and still than there are some places I don't want to open carry and would feel better conceal carrying, like the mall for one. Just guess it depends on my mood really, but I just got my CCW permit today so now I can open and conceal carry... which is great because it's hard to open carry in weather like this! lol....

ZackL

Bogidu - They are both posted no carry, but they cannot control CC as it is preempted under Colorado law and they don't have security using electronic detection, nor do they have metal detectors.

I avoid the malls because I don't support business that doesn't support 2A rights. Just my opinion.

On to the OP, I love that B&N I've been in there about five times since I started carrying and I have never had an issue with ANYONE in there. The patrons are very polite and either don't notice, don't care or ask what you're carrying and the employees are always helpful and great people. I've even had to ask them to look up books for me (which I should have found on my own, but yeah...) and they never brought up the firearm.

JamesB

Bogidu - They are both posted no carry, but they cannot control CC as it is preempted under Colorado law and they don't have security using electronic detection, nor do they have metal detectors.

You're half right. They may not have metal detectors, but they do not have to. They are private property and the legistature allowed private property owners to have a say in it. They are NOT preempted.

bogidu

Yep, and IIRC the last time I was at the Citadel the posted sign mentioned no concealed carry either.

You're half right. They may not have metal detectors, but they do not have to. They are private property and the legistature allowed private property owners to have a say in it. They are NOT preempted.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Metal detectors only apply to government buildings. Not all entrances to either Mall are posted. I CC there everytime I go. The purpose of CC is to 'conceal,' so I don't worry about it. If for some reason they saw the pistol, all they can do is ask you to leave, which I would. No gun signs have no force of law unless posted at every possible entrance. Even then, all they can do is tell you to leave. You have no legal duty to read everything that is pasted to a door. States that give signs the force of law (which is not CO) have specific, highly detailed regulations as to the type and placement. Failing that, an affirmative defense is "what sign?"

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Barnes & Noble
Original Message From: "Mary Ausman" <MJAusman@bn.com>
To: XXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:42 PM
Subject: Barnes & Noble
Thank you for your email.
While we are unable to discuss customer situations with an uninvolved third part, to answer your question, Barnes & Noble complies with the law and, except where prohibited by law, does not prohibit its customers from carrying handguns or other firearms in a Barnes & Noble store in accordance with the laws of the state in which a store is located.
Sincerely,
Mary Ausman
Supervisor, Customer Retention
Barnes & Noble, Inc. 122 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10011
tel: (800) 422-7717 fax: (212)352.3660 www.barnesandnobleinc.com