• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cpl and a vehicle search

Onnie

I believe I know the answer but I need a cite which I can't find.

Situation: A person with a CPL is stopped for a traffic violation. During the stop, for no probable cause the officer demands to search your vehicle.

I believe you do not loose your rights to a search of a search of a vehicle

A buddy of mine ,a cpl holder is absolutely certain that once you are issued your CPL you LOOSE your right to refuse a search of your vehicle.

I believe he is incorrect, but I am trying to find the legal requirements one must DO with a CPL when involved in traffic stop

he says his instructor about a year ago, a Shiawassee county sheriff beat this into their head, if stopped you do not have the right to refuse a search of your vehicle

again I know this to be a case of disinformation, but I need to prove it to him

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Situation: A person with a CPL is stopped for a traffic violation. During the stop, for no probable cause the officer demands to search your vehicle.

A buddy of mine ,a cpl holder is absolutely certain that once you are issued your CPL you LOOSE your right to refuse a search of your vehicle.

I believe he is incorrect, but I am trying to find the legal requirements one must DO with a CPL when involved in traffic stop

he says his instructor about a year ago, a Shiawassee county sheriff beat this into their head, if stopped you do not have the right to refuse a search of your vehicle

He was misinformed by an agent of the government. Need we say more. The onus is on your buddy or better yet the LEO to show the cite to support his version of the statute

sprinklerguy28

Wow from a Sheriff!! I find that hard to believe.... :uhoh:

Mike

Site Co-Founder

No - there must be probable cause of some crime to search a vehicle unless consent is given.

WARCHILD

Wow from a Sheriff!! I find that hard to believe.... :uhoh:

Not really...there are a few "old school" shi deputies around that don't like it. I've never been challenged by any of them; but have had a couple conversations with deputies that have "told" me about the "old guys" and how THEY feel about this open carry stupidity. insert all the dumb excuses here...manhood, shot first, conceal it..yadda, yadda.

TheQ

Regardless of if there is cause or a right to search, you say this:

I do not consent to searches.

If he searches anyways, calmly repeat.

...after that, as the cops say, let the lawyers sort it out.

TheGrabber

I do have a question about this.

If a officer needs probable cause to search a vehicle, but doesn't have any. So he asked you if he can search with your permission. When you refuse the search, does the officer NOW have probable cause?

MKEgal

MichRRConductor said:
An officer needs probable cause to search a vehicle, but doesn't have any. So he asks you if he can search with your permission. When you refuse the search, does the officer NOW have probable cause?
Nope.
Exercising a civil right is not RAS of a crime.
(Never mind which civil right it is: you're going to church, meeting with friends, blogging, writing your Congresscritter, voting, remaining silent, bearing arms, refusing an unwarranted search, refusing to testify against yourself, requiring the presence of a lawyer, ...
None of which, BTW, require training, a tax, or a gov't permit to do.)

There's a ruling by the WI Supreme Court something to the effect of: keeping your mouth shut is your right and no cop can read anything into it other than that you're choosing to exercise your right to remain silent.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You can voluntarily give up your 4th Amend rights by consenting ........ if you really want to do that.

If stopped, I will give what is required by law i.e. driving license, registration, proof of insurance, and my permit - whatever is in accordance with the laws of that state.

If asked to search my vehicle, I will respond, " I do not waive my 4th Amendment right."

If asked to step out of the vehicle, I will and will lock the keys inside.

RenegadeMarine

I think maybe your buddy is confusing himself with the fact that when carrying a concealed pistol under the authority of a CPL, you lose your right to refuse a breathalyzer test.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think maybe your buddy is confusing himself with the fact that when carrying a concealed pistol under the authority of a CPL, you lose your right to refuse a breathalyzer test.

IMHO that would be quite a stretch confusing those two.

Educate me please - do you have a cite for the bold type above?

yowilhelm

absolutely............not..........

If pulled over and asked for consent to search, your answer should always be "Officer, please articulate your probable cause." At this point he should back off, but he could also give you the sales pitches " If you don't have anything you shouldn't then you don't have anything to worry about", or " Officer safety" or my favorite, " If you don't consent, I will have to impound your car, get a warrant, and when we find something, we won't be able to help you". This is my personal favorite. Your answer is always a resounding NO. For the last one, assuming you haven't done anything too grievous, look him straight in the eye and state "Let me know how that works out for you". Judges do not give warrants to LEOs for traffic stops without very good reasons (ie on going felony investigation and report that you were involved with a crime. If you have a CPL, you have already passed a stringent backround check so it is highly unlikely that the officer could articulate reasonable suspicion or probable cause for speeding. Also keep in mind that officers ask questions but articulate them as orders making people believe that they have to comply. If you do let them search your car base on a statement like "Please step out of the car, I need to check inside ok" you gave up the right. No is the only answer.

THere are alot of resources on the web especially youtube on this very subject.

Onnie

All

Thanks for all the reply's, I was sure I was correct in the fact that we do not give up our 4th amendment right just because we have a cpl

he has some other "facts" he was telling me about he was taught, one was that if you "Accidentally" display your weapon, say you coat open up and your weapon becomes visible to a citizen and they call the police, you can be charged with Brandishing.....I think we all know that is mis-information, also given by the same CPL instructor (sheriff), I was trying to explain brandishing to him, im not sure he understood. I realize that some over zealous officer of the law may try to make that charge stick but as we all know its a bogus charge and if that ever happened the defendant should be able to win in court hands down. I told him if any charge was going to be administered it would most likely be Disorderly conduct, which as we also know is another bogus charge.

also was informed by the same CPL instructor that if involved in a "legal" shooting your weapon would be confiscated and never returned, while I have heard this one before, I would think he might have a case against the agency that failed to return his property after the shooter was found to have been involved in a legal shooting.

He does not open carry but I have asked him to visit this site and MiOpenCarry.org to help him get the correct facts pulled out of all the bullxxxx he was taught.

My instructor was a retired Roseville cop who with the exception of OC so far I feel was right on the ball, This is the second person with a cpl who has been given some real sorry information from there so called instructors

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate it - don't like it and have to wonder whether it would stand THE test.

I was thinking along the lines of a constitutional question. Having to give up one right (5th Amend, self-incrimination) to enjoy another right (2nd Amend, RKBA) w/o any RAS or PC that a crime was being committed. No odor of alcohol, no slurred words - just applying for a permit and forced to give up that protection. That really bothers me.