• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BB Gun bill passed in the Senate

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Good stuff, but now on to the House and signature. Where I imagine this will have trouble is the implementation of the "reasonable care" portion to be defined differently in each county and city.

USNA69

I admit that I have not been paying much attention to this, but I have a question.

The Bill states quite clearly:

E. As used in this section, "pneumatic gun" means any implement, designed as a gun, that will expel a BB or a pellet by action of pneumatic pressure. "Pneumatic gun" includes a paintball gun that expels by action of pneumatic pressure plastic balls filled with paint for the purpose of marking the point of impact.

However, my Daisy Model 111 lever action carbine BB gun is NOT pneumatic. It expels the BB with a spring plunger.
Daisy%20model%20111-40%20V1%20brass%20bands.jpg

My boyhood Daisy was a pump action. Same concept: compress a spring, release a spring, expel the BB.

957712955f858ecb04c5d2ffb89c7260.jpg

It would seem that these types of BB guns are not addressed in this bill.

Was that by design or by oversight?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I admit that I have not been paying much attention to this, but I have a question.

The Bill states quite clearly:

E. As used in this section, "pneumatic gun" means any implement, designed as a gun, that will expel a BB or a pellet by action of pneumatic pressure. "Pneumatic gun" includes a paintball gun that expels by action of pneumatic pressure plastic balls filled with paint for the purpose of marking the point of impact.

However, my Daisy Model 111 lever action carbine BB gun is NOT pneumatic. It expels the BB with a spring plunger.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question649.htm

My boyhood Daisy was a pump action. Same concept: compress a spring, release a spring, expel the BB.

It would seem that these types of BB guns are not addressed in this bill.

Was that by design or by oversight?

Addressed very specifically.

The type of BB gun you reference is still a pneumatic or as we used to say, an air gun.

The spring loaded piston is located inside an air tube. The piston does NOT expel the BB by striking it, but rather by forcing a column of air against the BB.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question649.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_the_model_99_daisy_bb_gun_work

USNA69

My Face Is red

Addressed very specifically.

The type of BB gun you reference is still a pneumatic or as we used to say, an air gun.

The spring loaded piston is located inside an air tube. The piston does NOT expel the BB by striking it, but rather by forcing a column of air against the BB.

Dang!! It took me nearly 60 years to learn that.

Just goes to show ya ....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Dang!! It took me nearly 60 years to learn that.

Just goes to show ya ....

I'll let you in on another secret.
Spring loaded is more powerful (Energy to expel vs Energy to expel) than pumpup pneumatics.

That's why you see the most expensive and powerful pellet guns are single cock models.

The power in those guns come from the piston superheating the column of air due to friction and why you don't oil the piston. It causes dieseling.
This is in the small bores. In the large bores, .45,.50,.62...they need to be pump up (including dive tank fill) because of the massive amount of air needed.

Lewis and Clark had a .50 pump up (Used a bellows to fill) that they used on Deer sized game.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The power in those guns come from the piston superheating the column of air due to friction and why you don't oil the piston.

Ya, but a couple of drops of 3-in-1 oil down tube of the old Daisy made the coolest "smoke"

Lewis and Clark had a .50 pump up (Used a bellows to fill) that they used on Deer sized game.

Fringe benefits: they didn't require keeping powder dry and were much quieter.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And when the homeowners start submitting insurance claims for broken windows, the "reasonable care" concept will come under fire.:(

If anyone is stupid enough to shoot out the neighbors windows...
A. They're too dumb to own any type of gun.
B. They are going to be charged with shooting into an occupied building.
C. They didn't take the time to set up a cardboard box full of newspapers with a carpet backstop.

Shooting a pellet gun safely ain't rocket science.

2a4all

C. They didn't take the time to set up a cardboard box full of newspapers with a carpet backstop.

It may be simple, but that doesn't ensure compliance. Shooting at paper targets is far less interesting than seeing if you can hit the stray cat on top of the privacy fence, or a squirrel in a tree. The kid who owns the gun will likely get some safety training, but when he invites his friends over, fun will trump safety. Eager kids won't be too concerned about where the bb goes if they miss the cat.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It may be simple, but that doesn't ensure compliance. Shooting at paper targets is far less interesting than seeing if you can hit the stray cat on top of the privacy fence, or a squirrel in a tree. The kid who owns the gun will likely get some safety training, but when he invites his friends over, fun will trump safety. Eager kids won't be too concerned about where the bb goes if they miss the cat.

Going by your philosophy, the antis had a good argument. That was one of them. No supervision.

Rules are important. Supervision is important. The fear of being grounded for the next 99 years is important.
If Johnny can't be trusted to follow range rules in the back yard, Johnny may have to take up video games instead of hunting.

nuc65

Activist Member
Going by your philosophy, the antis had a good argument. That was one of them. No supervision.

Rules are important. Supervision is important. The fear of being grounded for the next 99 years is important.
If Johnny can't be trusted to follow range rules in the back yard, Johnny may have to take up video games instead of hunting.

There is already a law, passed last year, that makes it a crime to 'shoot' into a persons house. I will try to find the statute so that I can show the cite, but I remember this. I remember thinking that a kid playing baseball accidentally breaks a neighbors window and becomes a felon, how sad.

§ 18.2-279. Discharging firearms or missiles within or at building or dwelling house; penalty.

If any person maliciously discharges a firearm within any building when occupied by one or more persons in such a manner as to endanger the life or lives of such person or persons, or maliciously shoots at, or maliciously throws any missile at or against any dwelling house or other building when occupied by one or more persons, whereby the life or lives of any such person or persons may be put in peril, the person so offending is guilty of a Class 4 felony. In the event of the death of any person, resulting from such malicious shooting or throwing, the person so offending is guilty of murder in the second degree. However, if the homicide is willful, deliberate and premeditated, he is guilty of murder in the first degree.

If any such act be done unlawfully, but not maliciously, the person so offending is guilty of a Class 6 felony; and, in the event of the death of any person resulting from such unlawful shooting or throwing, the person so offending is guilty of involuntary manslaughter. If any person willfully discharges a firearm within or shoots at any school building whether occupied or not, he is guilty of a Class 4 felony.

(Code 1950, §§ 18.1-66, 18.1-152; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1992, c. 738; 2005, c. 143.)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There is already a law, passed last year, that makes it a crime to 'shoot' into a persons house. I will try to find the statute so that I can show the cite, but I remember this. I remember thinking that a kid playing baseball accidentally breaks a neighbors window and becomes a felon, how sad.

I already said that Nuc:

nuc65

Activist Member
I already said that Nuc:

I agree that you said it, I only enhanced the cite a little and offered an enhancement of my opinion a little bit.

I remember spending a lot of time shooting some little metal cutouts in my friends basement, he had a target air gun (very high end) and a target metal box with metal cutouts that we spent many hours in the evening having competitions.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

§ 18.2-279. Discharging firearms or missiles within or at building or dwelling house; penalty.

If any person maliciously discharges a firearm within any building when occupied by one or more persons in such a manner as to endanger the life or lives of such person or persons, or maliciously shoots at, or maliciously throws any missile at or against any dwelling house or other building when occupied by one or more persons, whereby the life or lives of any such person or persons may be put in peril, the person so offending is guilty of a Class 4 felony. In the event of the death of any person, resulting from such malicious shooting or throwing, the person so offending is guilty of murder in the second degree. However, if the homicide is willful, deliberate and premeditated, he is guilty of murder in the first degree.

I think the kid playing baseball with his buddies is in little danger of becoming a felon from accidentally breaking the neighbor's window pane. First, he would have to be tried an an adult; second, the prosecutor would have to show "malicious" intent.

Even in the case of the adult, local hoodlum deliberately/maliciously breaking your picture window with a BB gun or thrown rock while you slept upstairs would be a stretch for this law - the other necessary criteria are not present.

BTW - this is the Code that is frequently used when someone is charged for having fired a gun while inside a building (within) or as an add-on charge when premeditated murder occurs therein.

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
I think the kid playing baseball with his buddies is in little danger of becoming a felon from accidentally breaking the neighbor's window pane. First, he would have to be tried an an adult; second, the prosecutor would have to show "malicious" intent.

But, from the next paragraph:

"If any such act be done unlawfully, but not maliciously, the person so offending is guilty of a Class 6 felony; and, in the event of the death of any person resulting from such unlawful shooting or throwing, the person so offending is guilty of involuntary manslaughter. If any person willfully discharges a firearm within or shoots at any school building whether occupied or not, he is guilty of a Class 4 felony. "

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But, from the next paragraph:

"If any such act be done unlawfully, but not maliciously, the person so offending is guilty of a Class 6 felony; and, in the event of the death of any person resulting from such unlawful shooting or throwing, the person so offending is guilty of involuntary manslaughter. If any person willfully discharges a firearm within or shoots at any school building whether occupied or not, he is guilty of a Class 4 felony. "

Still see it as an extreme stretch - the "kid" would still have to be tried an as an adult + playing baseball is not in and of itself "unlawful". That said, prosecutors can do pretty much whatever they want to do - see Skidmark's Surry debacle.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Still see it as an extreme stretch - the "kid" would still have to be tried an as an adult + playing baseball is not in and of itself "unlawful". That said, prosecutors can do pretty much whatever they want to do - see Skidmark's Surry debacle.

Yeah, but it's not too hard to define breaking a neighbors window as "unlawful" ...

The whole thing with Skidmark is a disgrace....

Roscoe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah, but it's not too hard to define breaking a neighbors window as "unlawful" ...

The whole thing with Skidmark is a disgrace....

Roscoe

That is precisely my point. Attempting to make a kid a felon for a non-malicious act (playing baseball and breaking a window) would be "disgraceful," misapplication of the law, and abuse of power - all my opinion.

Also recognize we are on the same side of the fence and just talking about technical unlikelihoods .......... unless your first name is Skid. :uhoh: