• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Post, coming to Richmond soon

Andrew Wyler-David

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
hey guys, ive been browsing this forum for weeks and finally decided to register. seems like there is a great wealth of information on here, and i appreciate everyone standing up for second amendment rights the way you are!

i am from PA, living in philly for now and have not received my LTCF (CCW) yet. my girlfriend goes to school at VCU in Richmond and i am going to visit her next weekend right before valentines day. obviously i cannot carry in the school buildings, but where should i watch out for open carrying in the VCU/Carytown area? i keep an eye out for signs but i would like to know any red flags before hand.

also i am staying at the doubletree on w. franklin street and have not heard anything about a policy there, am i correct in assuming its an abide by local law thing there?

thanks in advance guys and gals

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You are probably going to get grief anywhere on VCU property.

Nearly everywhere else in Richmond except the prohibited parts (Courthouse, certain state buildings and businesses that forbid weapons). is OK.

Bring a recorder as insurance.

If you come on a Saturday, there is nearly always a breakfast happening.

Andrew Wyler-David

thanks for the responses guys. crap from the PD i can deal with, i always carry a voice recorder and am studying to be a lawyer so i am very respectful and professional when dealing with LEOs. i am also a clean cut looking guy, i do not look like a threat or a sketchy peson, even though i know that doesnt really matter, it doesnt hurt.

i will be here on a saturday, a breakfast would be very cool. you guys sure have a great state, i hope to move there one day

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
thanks for the responses guys. crap from the PD i can deal with, i always carry a voice recorder and am studying to be a lawyer so i am very respectful and professional when dealing with LEOs. i am also a clean cut looking guy, i do not look like a threat or a sketchy peson, even though i know that doesnt really matter, it doesnt hurt.

i will be here on a saturday, a breakfast would be very cool. you guys sure have a great state, i hope to move there one day

You have a jump start on being a lawyer with a name like that. :D

I am of the opinion that the recent GMU case actually helped somewhat with guns on campus (not in buildings) at VCU, but I don't see any volunteers to be the test case either.

Andrew Wyler-David

havent heard that one before :lol:

well i will be all around the campus (outside of buildings) so i guess im the test case. richmond seems like a seedy city and the times i was here previously without my USP made me pretty nervous. i vowed never to not carry again. i wish my LTCF would come through! i like open carry anyway but firearms credentials help for document dump purposes

All American Nightmare

well i will be all around the campus (outside of buildings) so i guess im the test case. richmond seems like a seedy city and the times i was here previously without my USP made me pretty nervous. i vowed never to not carry again. i wish my LTCF would come through! i like open carry anyway but firearms credentials help for document dump purposes
Here are some links that might help
http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/code-virginia-firearms-laws-t2.html http://law.justia.com/virginia/index.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

As I recall, VCU draws their argument from the Administrative Code of Virginia that they claim they can forbid guns anywhere on their property. Past discussions have yielded that they can indeed so restrict enrolled students through threat of expulsion and employees through dismissal, but nothing was found to indicate any actual penalty for other legally carrying citizens. IMHO - they cannot, but my opinion will not be of any benefit in the defense of someone testing these waters. IANAL

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
opinion duly noted. am i correct that the streets and sidewalks that go around and through campus are public property and thus subject to state and local laws?

Those streets and sidewalks around each block are city property. Those sidewalks that run through the block, between buildings, are VCU property - concrete campuses are difficult to define as there is no clear linear demarcation.

Streets that have been closed to vehicular traffic (pedestrian only) are a question I cannot answer, but I am of the opinion that they are probably still city property.

Monroe Park, though maintained by VCU, is city property.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I'm going to be in town tomorrow Andrew and I'm pretty sure we will have a breakfast. Look for a breakfast thread today!