• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Dakota may require arms purchase

DEROS72

Squeak sent me this and I think its the way it ought to be...

CCRKBA SAYS S. DAKOTA BILL TO REQUIRE GUN OWNERSHIP ‘LIKE OBAMACARE’

BELLEVUE, WA – The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms today said a proposal before the South Dakota Legislature that would require all adults in the state to buy a gun “should make perfect sense to anybody who supports Obamacare.”

CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb said legislation sponsored by five South Dakota lawmakers that would require anyone over age 21 to purchase a gun for ordinary self-defense seems reasonable.

“If you can mandate that people must buy health insurance,” Gottlieb observed, “then you can mandate that people must buy a firearm. After all, they both can keep you alive and well.”

The Sioux Falls Argus Leader reported that the requirement, if adopted, would become effective on Jan. 1, 2012. The provision exempts people who are legally prohibited from owning guns.

“Anyone who argues that such a proposal is nonsense should apply the same standard to Obamacare,” Gottlieb said. “That goes double for anyone who thinks mandatory gun ownership is unconstitutional.

“There is no place in the Constitution I can find where it mentions that having health insurance is a protected civil right,” he noted, “but the right to keep and bear arms is right there in the Bill of Rights. We know, thanks to last June’s ruling by the Supreme Court, that the Second Amendment right to have a gun applies to all citizens in every state.

“Anybody who thinks the health care mandate is constitutional, but doesn’t think the Second Amendment is an individual civil right apparently has trouble reading the Constitution and the Supreme Court rulings,” Gottlieb said. “Maybe those individuals want that government-run health care so they can get their eyes checked.”

With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is one of the nation’s premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States. The Citizens Committee can be reached by phone at (425) 454-4911 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (425) 454-4911 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, on the Internet at www.ccrkba.org or by email to InformationRequest@ccrkba.org.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
This is a state issue not federal. The states are not as limited in powers as the feds. Might be legal, as opposed to Obamacare's mandatory purchase clause.

Let out those ideologically opposed and add in permit-less carry and you've got a winner.

sudden valley gunner

This is a state issue not federal. The states are not as limited in powers as the feds. Might be legal, as opposed to Obamacare's mandatory purchase clause.

Let out those ideologically opposed and add in permit-less carry and you've got a winner.

I agree to an extent, yet State laws must still pass constitutional muster.

But the main point is to point out how ridiculous a Federal mandate to purchase something or be penalized is.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Born in South Dakota

I was born in Burke, South Dakota.

This is a real bill.

I made this argument to many friends when the health care bill was being passed. It is interesting that it is a real bill now.

In my opinion it would pass constitutional muster, although you may have to have a few exemptions and perhaps subsidize certain people or firearms....

amlevin

Back to our roots:

The great majority of colonists arriving in America during the seventeenth century had no experience as soldiers. Yet owing to the small British military presence of the time, the colonists soon found the need to establish a military force. They drew from their knowledge of the militia system in England to develop their own military forces. The resulting colonial militia laws required every able-bodied male citizen to participate and to provide his own arms. Militia control was very localized, often with individual towns having autonomous command systems. Additionally, the colonies placed relatively short training requirements upon their militiamen: as little as four days of training per year.

I would like to see the law read "and every household in the state shall have one person armed with the same basic weapon as is issued to regular National Guard and US Military person."

Since that basic weapon today is the M-16/M-4, we would then be somewhat like Switzerland. Every household would be able to provide one fully armed militiaman(person).

However, although Congress explicitly created a dual- militia system, the unorganized militias of the various states have remained largely dormant.

Seems like SD is reviving their "unorganized militia".

source document: http://academic.udayton.edu/health/syllabi/bioterrorism/8military/milita01.htm

Squeak

This was just on FOX news. I hope that every elected official sees this. But then, we're just Bible huggin' gun tottin' nuts!:banana:

oneeyeross

This was just on FOX news. I hope that every elected official sees this. But then, we're just Bible huggin' gun tottin' nuts!:banana:

Yes, we're "bitter" and clinging to our guns....

The reason that I believe this would pass Constitutional muster (once corrected to allow for religious scruples) is, as has been said, based on State v. Federal law.

Art I, sec 8 lists the powers of Congress, and the 10th Amendment states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Since mandating firearms possession is not forbidden the states, and in fact IS a public safety law, I can see it passing muster. Far better than some Federal laws that have been allowed to stand...

amlevin

Yes, we're "bitter" and clinging to our guns....

The reason that I believe this would pass Constitutional muster (once corrected to allow for religious scruples) is, as has been said, based on State v. Federal law.

Art I, sec 8 lists the powers of Congress, and the 10th Amendment states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Since mandating firearms possession is not forbidden the states, and in fact IS a public safety law, I can see it passing muster. Far better than some Federal laws that have been allowed to stand...

I would bet that there are a lot of Egyptians that right now would like the same constitutional "right to bear arms" as we have in this country. If for nothing else but to protect their homes and neighborhoods from looters.

BTW, another Federal Judge agreed this week that "Obamacare" is unconstitutional. Onward and upward in the courts now.

Last edited:

FMCDH

I would bet that there are a lot of Egyptians that right now would like the same constitutional "right to bear arms" as we have in this country. If for nothing else but to protect their homes and neighborhoods from looters.

BTW, another Federal Judge agreed this week that "Obamacare" is unconstitutional. Onward and upward in the courts now.

Well, if the following website is to be believed, they kinda do, at least to a greater extent than some of our states.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/egypt

It looks like Egypt is a licensed OC country.

Granted, the data IS somewhat dated, but its all within the reign of the current dictator.

Last edited:

bcp

Sounds almost like a rerun.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Militia Act of 1792, Passed May 8, 1792, providing federal standards for the organization of the Militia.

...That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia...

That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder;...

Last edited: