• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone else going to the Militia, Police & Public Safety meeting this eve 2-3-11

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Is anyone else going to the Militia, Police & Public Safety meeting this eve 2-3-11

These bills are coming up and I have a conflict of committees again today...but these are important, especially constitutional carry, so I'm going to try to be there.

If you are coming, I'd like to save someone a chair in the second row, left hand side to put a small mic in. There will be plenty of room for you.

The following bills are coming up on Thursday, Feb. 3rd, at 5 PM in the Militia, Police and Public Safety. Click on the links to send emails on these bills:

Pro-gun bills:

HB 1732 - Delegate Carrico - the CHPs from all states would be recognized in Virginia - VCDL Strongly Supports:

http://tinyurl.com/4grtxu6

HB 2069 - Delegate Athey - Constitutional Carry bills (a person doesn't need to have a permit to carry concealed, but can get one if they want one) - there are some serious drafting errors in this bill. We expect the drafting errors to get fixed and the bill to be improved in subcommittee, but are in wait-and-see mode right now. Stay tuned.

A single email for these 3 anti-gun bills:

HB 1669 - Delegate McClellan - so called "Gun show loophole" bill - VCDL Strongly Opposes:

HB 2524 - Delegate Carr - makes it illegal to sell, barter, or transfer a magazine that will hold 20 or more rounds. Another silly "feel-good" measure - VCDL Strongly Opposes

HB 3454 - Delegate Morrissey - makes it illegal for anyone who is carrying openly, or concealed with a concealed handgun permit, to be intoxicated. Police, Commonwealth Attorneys, Harbormaster of Hopewell, and others can be as drunk as they want without repercussion - VCDL Strongly Opposes

http://tinyurl.com/4l5wp6b

Last edited:

curtiswr

I'm not, obviously, but hopefully someone is there to help you. I wish I could make it to some of these.

Last edited:

curtiswr

what happened last night ??

VA-ALERT: Legislative Update 2/3/11
http://www.vcdl.org

Good News!

Yesterday Senator Reynold's pneumatic gun bill, SB 757, passed the Senate and heads to the House, where it starts working its way through the committee structure all over again.

The following anti-gun bills were KILLED, er, actually, CRUSHED, tonight in the House Militia, Police and Public Safety subcommittee #1:

HB 1699 - Delegate McClellan's "gun show loophole" bill died by a vote of 4 to 1 (Delegate Keam voted for the bill).

HB 2343 - Delegate Morrissey's bill to criminalize the consumption of an alcoholic beverage in a restaurant by someone who is openly carrying a handgun died **unanimously.** A Richmond police officer in UNIFORM came to speak for all the gun control bills, including this one. That was awfully rich from someone who is allowed by the law to carry a concealed handgun and drink. What a hypocrite.

HB 2524 - Delegate Carr's bill to ban the sale, barter or transfer of magazines that hold 20 or more rounds died **unanimously.**

And Some Bad News

HB 1732 - Delegate Carrico's full recognition of out-of-state permits was withdrawn without comment

HB 2069 - Delegate Athey's Constitutional Carry bill (no CHP required) was withdrawn. Athey stated that he had drawn up the bill himself and didn't use Legislative Services. The bill is fatally flawed, he said, and could not be fixed unless it is reintroduced with a different description and all the technical mistakes fixed. That, he vowed to do next year.

Fetus

I'm not really familiar with the process with passing these bills -- but above on the VCDL alert it says that the mag ban bill has been killed but I looked at the status of the bill and it says this

02/03/11 House: Subcommittee recommends laying on the table (5-Y 0-N)

Doesn't " laying on the table " mean that it will just come back up at a later time?

can someone explain to me what this means

thanks

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Doesn't " laying on the table " mean that it will just come back up at a later time?

can someone explain to me what this means

thanks

Yes and no. It is for all purposes, dead for this year.