• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate Bill 2469

4angrybadgers

Veeerryyy interesting.

Here were some changes I noticed on a quick reading of the amended text:

• Removed the prohibition against CC in churches
  • Reduced the college/jr college/university CC ban to the "secured areas"
  • Removed the prohibition against CC in establishments primarily serving alcohol, unless the owner posts it as off-limits
There's more, those are just the ones I noticed first and that would probably affect most people, most often.

Q-Tip

While certainly not as much as we would like to see, campus carry is a pretty big step. I do wish, however, that public universities were prohibited from making anti-firearm policies. It will be interesting to see how those are dealt with if this bill makes it all the way. Removing the prohibition against church carry is also something many carriers would find advantageous.

DCKilla

I've read through the bill again. 45-9-53, as amended in this bill, looks pretty good. I wish there was full preemption, but better than nothing. On the other hand, 97-37-17 and 45-9-101, as amended, might be in conflict over students who have permits carrying on college/university campuses. I'm thinking students with permits would be barred from carrying on their campus. Also, "any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms" will still be in 45-9-101's prohibited places. So, there is still plenty of stuff to work on even if this is signed into law.

Daylen

I thought it was a fine fix for CC. Just need three words taken out of 97-37 to help out OC almost as much.

DCKilla

SB2469 removed and clarified instead of adding and complicating things like HB506. IMO, SB2469 was far superior. Don't get me wrong, HB506 is ok, but in the wrong courtroom you're screwed.

Daylen

The worst part about the house bill that passed is it doesn't do anything for those of us from out of state. In the end though it really just means effort needs to be put forth to return the carrying of arms, with the exception of concealed arms, back to unlicensed and unlimited by the state.

MSRebel54

SB2469 removed and clarified instead of adding and complicating things like HB506. IMO, SB2469 was far superior. Don't get me wrong, HB506 is ok, but in the wrong courtroom you're screwed.

I was reading the bill, SB2469, and I am still am not completely clear on what constitutes "the secured area", had the bill passed. For example, where I live the schools have actual city police officers in the school during school hours. Would that mean that the ENTIRE school would be considered a "secure area"? Or would it mean that the cop(s) would have to be "screening" each individual that entered the school? I tend to think the latter would be the usual interpretation, but I'd like a second opinion.

DCKilla

If you look at the security at airports, there a two sections. One is secured and the other is not. Guess which one is secured. Of course, it's the one where they screen everyone. I think your definition of "secured area" is correct.

Daylen

Unless it was drastically changed from the last time I read it, the secured area is where each person is searched by passive or active means to ensure they are not carrying any prohibited items.