• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'er discharges weapon in Tatoo shop

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have only recently been OCing in Bellingham, the "City of Subdued Excitement". Yesterday an OCer went into a Tatoo shop here. The owner asked him to empty the weapon and he complied by giving the magazine to the owner. The owner returned the mag, the OCer inserted it in the weapon, pulled the trigger and discharged the weapon. It was an "accident" , noone was injured, the owner called 911, AND THE OCer RAN AWAY. The words, training, complacent, tired, not paying attention, come to mind.

OrangeIsTrouble

Someone needs to be smacked, who the hell slaps in a magazine and even thinks about pulling the trigger?

I can understand if he wanted to be sneaky sneaky and have one round in the chamber but damn how do you forget?

I'll wait for a link to an article before I take this seriously however.

OrangeIsTrouble

Shouldn't be a problem finding the guy if he's gone there several times. Easier spotted with tattoos. Dude needs to own up, he made it much worse by running.

But that's a new one, no "live" firearms. Maybe the artist is known for making tattoos real painful. :D

Superlite27

In this tatoo shop, we require absolute SAFETY!

Instead of leaving your firearm untouched, and in its holster like you would in other dangerous tatoo studios, we require you to remove yours and handle it as much as possible while loading and unloading it.....

....all in the name of SAFETY!

skiingislife725

Shouldn't be a problem finding the guy if he's gone there several times. Easier spotted with tattoos. Dude needs to own up, he made it much worse by running.

But that's a new one, no "live" firearms. Maybe the artist is known for making tattoos real painful. :D

Yah, my guess is the guy wasn't supposed to be carrying a gun in the first place, which is why he ran.

The no live firearms thing was goofy. Little did they know, that f-in around with a firearm when it's safely secured in its holster made the situation even worse.

As for the tattoo place, when I was looking into getting one...didn't even come up on my radar. Didn't hear anything spectacular about the place, and in the comments section people are talking about how sketchy the owner is. Not that that has to do with the dimwit firing off a round while putting a magazine back in his gun.

amlevin

Police officers could learn a thing or two from this incident. Maybe it's just better to leave a firearm in the holster than to handle it while "clearing"., Somehow or another, I can't see a holstered firearm discharging itself.

These "accidents" always seem to happen when someone's unnecessarily handling the weapon.

It does make one wonder if the person really is qualified to be carrying a firearm is he's dumb enough to pull the trigger after replacing the mag. Maybe he's dyslexic and thought he was clearing it before putting it in storage.(_?_)

shad0wfax

The shop owner's name is Chucho Garcia.

The article states that, "The man had gotten tattoos at the shop before and was getting lettering done on his shoulder Wednesday."

Any bets on any of the following:
  • "Mexican Carry" (no pun intended) EDIT: Oops, I was (partially?) wrong on this one! He did have a holster.
  • Unlawful possession of firearm by prohibited person
  • wants and warrants for customer
  • stolen firearm
  • firearm associated with another crime

I realize that I'm making some assumptions here but based on what little information we have, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one, if not two or three of the above are applicable. Ah, the power of profiling.

Last edited:

FMCDH

NOT an "accident"

Unless there was a mechanical failure that could not have been prevented by the carrier, it was NOT an "accident", it was negligence pure and simple. People need to own their idiocy and stop trying to lighten the blame in these stupid situations.

There was plenty of blame to go around on this one too, from the "handle your firearm as much as possible" policy of the store owner, to the absent mindedness of this guy while handling the gun, and not initially counter proposing to remove the firearm WHILE in the holster, then storing it in a drawer or someplace else nearby and out of site.

I have had a few jittery barbers ask me to unload or put it in my car before I sat down I their chair. None have ever refused that counter proposal. :)

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I heard this on the news today it was reported as accidental discharge and so does this latest link. Is it clear he pulled the trigger? And none I saw reported it as an OC'er.

I think it's a good time to reflect that more and more people are getting guns, that the likely hood of stupid things and stupid people and "accidents" will happen. We need to stay ever vigilant to fight against those who will portray these incidences as a rationalization to restrict our rights.

.45ACPaddy

Everyone keeps talking about him removing the magazine and reinserting it. What about the round in the chamber? I'll bet his booger hook was on the bang switch when he put the mag back in.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I'm confused...

Why ask to have the firearm handled at all? That is the lesson, do not remove the firearm from the holster, do not handle the magazine, do not unload the round, do not load the magazine. DO NOT HANDLE A FIREARM unless on the range or in the act of self defense.

Both the client and the tattoo parlor should be ashamed of their behavior and ignorance of firarms.

sudden valley gunner

My guess is the Tattoo shop wants to put forth this "bad ass" image but really are just clueless.

Or maybe they all still have criminal traits and a gun on a person makes them uncomfortable.

But you are right nick, there was no need to handle the firearm if it was in a holster.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
That's why there is a simple safety maxim - do not handle firearms in public. In fact that is our argument to minmise restrictions on carry - governmental or private rules forcing people to handle, unload, re-load their firearms creates unnecesary risk.

If the owner/agent demand you unload or hand over the firearm, refuse!

If told to leave, Leave!

Safety first, file a complaint later.