• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fowlerville reviewing open-carry prohibition

detroit_fan

snip

Officials in Fowlerville are reviewing an ordinance that currently bans the possession of weapons in public places after a complaint from a national pro-gun group, according to Village President Pro Tem Dennis Kuehn.

Kuehn said language in the ordinance is being reviewed by Village Attorney David Stoker. Kuehn added state law does not prohibit the open possession of firearms, only the discharge of those weapons.

Some communities, such as Fowlerville, have ordinances that do prohibit open carrying. The pro-gun group says Fowlerville's ordinance is not in compliance with state law, according to Kuehn.

snip

http://www.livingstondaily.com/arti...+Fowlerville+reviewing+open-carry+prohibition

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
snip

Officials in Fowlerville are reviewing an ordinance that currently bans the possession of weapons in public places after a complaint from a national pro-gun group, according to Village President Pro Tem Dennis Kuehn.

Kuehn said language in the ordinance is being reviewed by Village Attorney David Stoker. Kuehn added state law does not prohibit the open possession of firearms, only the discharge of those weapons.

Some communities, such as Fowlerville, have ordinances that do prohibit open carrying. The pro-gun group says Fowlerville's ordinance is not in compliance with state law, according to Kuehn.

snip

http://www.livingstondaily.com/arti...+Fowlerville+reviewing+open-carry+prohibition

Which national pro-gun group was it??

markm

Preemption?

Hello All,

Has the legistlature enacted a preemption law for firearms in Michigan?

Most states have banned local political subdivisions from messing with gun law.

Believe it or not, Kalifornia has a preemption law!

markm

detroit_fan

Hello All,

Has the legistlature enacted a preemption law for firearms in Michigan?

Most states have banned local political subdivisions from messing with gun law.

Believe it or not, Kalifornia has a preemption law!

markm

yes we have preemption, passed in 1990, and as far as i know fowlerville is not enforcing this, it just takes time and lots of effort to get all the old ordinances off the books.

Tucker6900

Which national pro-gun group was it??

As a previous resident, I have been hounding fowlerville for at least 4 years to get that changed. I sent them another email about 3 weeks ago, and finally got a response. Nothing in my email said I represented anyone, so maybe someone else was able to get them to comply. Here is what I sent them.

To whom it may concern,
I am writing in regards to the ordiance in the subject line above. For reference, please read it below:

City of Fowlerville
Sec. 54-161. - Discharge, possession in public place.

It shall be a violation for any person to discharge any firearm, gun, rifle, pistol, cannon, air rifle, pellet gun, BB gun, or slingshot in the village, except at established ranges approved by the chief of police, or have any such firearm, gun, rifle, pistol, cannon, air rifle, pellet gun, BB gun, or slingshot in his possession in any public place of the village unless such is securely wrapped or encased.

As you may or may not know, Open Carry and concealed carry of a firearm is legal in the state of michigan. The village cannot, under michigan law, prevent the concealed or open carry of firearms anywhere in the city, including parks.

Michigan law MCL 123.1101 and 123.1102:
123.1101 Definitions.
Sec. 1.

As used in this act:
(a) "Local unit of government" means a city, village, township, or county.
(b) "Pistol" means that term as defined in section 222 of the Michigan penal code, Act No. 328 of the Public Acts of 1931, being section 750.222 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.
A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

I suggest that the village review their illegal ordinance, and get it changed. Even if Fowlerville does not "enforce" these ordinances, the general public may see them and therefore not excersize their right to keep and bear arms. This is called "passive enforcement". To avoid costly civil lawsuits, illegal detainment of citizens, I would advise that this be amended to comply with Michigan Law within 90 days.

Please take the time to investigate this issue for yourself.

Thank you for your time.

And here is their response

I am responding to your email regarding village ordinance Sec. 54-161. I have forwarded your email to the village attorney. He is reviewing your comments and the appropriate state statute. I expect to receive an answer next week. I will update you then.

Sincerely,

Joseph Merucci

Last edited:

aadvark

Michigan ACT 319 of 1990 is CLEAR in that Fowlerville is Preempted under Michigan Law.

Tucker6900

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

I am annoyed and about to go off on a rant.......

Why is it that when a municipality changes it's ordinance to comply with State law (another way... the truthful way... to say that is the municipality got caught violating the law like any other common lawbreaker and was forced to obey the law) the media says that the municipality now "allows" people to carry guns.

It's as if, in it's magnamousness, the municipality has graciously "allowed" we the people to actually exercise what is a natural right... but a right does NOT need permission from a lawbreaking municipality to be "allowed".

I would like to see it reported plain and simple for what it is..... the municipality has been required to stop violating the law.

The really sad thing is the amazing amount of people out there who actually think that they must always ask permission for everything from government. And what is disgusting is that those folks never question why government is "allowed" to have that much authority and power over "we the people".

Heartfelt congratulations to all those who have been successful in getting municipalities to comply with State Law. And to those who are still working on illegal ordinances... please do not give up because while it might seem to be a small thing it is really the very big thing of requiring government, even local, to obey the law just the same as "we the people" have to.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonian

my parents live in fowlerville. i OC in walmart there and the hardware store (MOC sticker in front window) without problems. was going to ask a bunch of questions but looks like it got taken care of. nice job guys. thanks. seeing my parents sunday. i KNOW they will bring it up. they don't know i OC. maybe i should come out of the OC closet.

Golden Eagle

I am annoyed and about to go off on a rant.......

Why is it that when a municipality changes it's ordinance to comply with State law (another way... the truthful way... to say that is the municipality got caught violating the law like any other common lawbreaker and was forced to obey the law) the media says that the municipality now "allows" people to carry guns.

It's as if, in it's magnamousness, the municipality has graciously "allowed" we the people to actually exercise what is a natural right... but a right does NOT need permission from a lawbreaking municipality to be "allowed".

I would like to see it reported plain and simple for what it is..... the municipality has been required to stop violating the law.

The really sad thing is the amazing amount of people out there who actually think that they must always ask permission for everything from government. And what is disgusting is that those folks never question why government is "allowed" to have that much authority and power over "we the people".

Heartfelt congratulations to all those who have been successful in getting municipalities to comply with State Law. And to those who are still working on illegal ordinances... please do not give up because while it might seem to be a small thing it is really the very big thing of requiring government, even local, to obey the law just the same as "we the people" have to.

Hear hear!

TheQ

[video=youtube;quUXnko3F_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quUXnko3F_M[/video]

I did give her an MOC Tri-fold while we were there. The Interview was over-all positive. They PFZ information at the end wasn't all complete (they forgot the CPL PFZ Exemption for OC).

Danny's Pizza in Fowlerville was great. I brought up the possibility of having an gathering of 10 or 20 gun toters in his resturant at one time for a friendly dinner. To that, the owner said they would greatly appreciate the business. The pizza buffet was good and the price was very reasonable at $5 + change for a dinner buffet.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
[video=youtube;quUXnko3F_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quUXnko3F_M[/video]

I did give her an MOC Tri-fold while we were there. The Interview was over-all positive. They PFZ information at the end wasn't all complete (they forgot the CPL PFZ Exemption for OC).

Danny's Pizza in Fowlerville was great. I brought up the possibility of having an gathering of 10 or 20 gun toters in his resturant at one time for a friendly dinner. To that, the owner said they would greatly appreciate the business. The pizza buffet was good and the price was very reasonable at $5 + change for a dinner buffet.
The place I work at in Fowlerville, orders from there all the time. Their pizza is good, in my humble opinion. ;)