• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Castle Doctrine May Be Ammended

Northerner

Nobody picked up on it yet or is talking about it....so FYI

If I read this correctly, the NC General Assembly is looking to discuss/vote(?) (Monday 2/7/11) on the NC Castle Doctrine, ammending it to add immunity from criminal and civil action for justifiable use of force. It would take affect December 1, 2011.

PS. Sorry about the title of this thread. Should read may be ammended....

Attachments

• 2011 Castle Doctrine.pdf
    67.8 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

TrailRunner

Seems reasonable to me. I especially like that tents and porches are included in the law, which provides coverage for campers that defend themselves from attack.

sultan62

A little bit of redundancy regarding LEOs, but overall a pretty good looking bill.

Does it look like it will get passed?

Northerner

Thank you OCDO Moderator for updating the title to this thread. Maybe we will be able to change it back come this time next week.

elixin77

Dec 1st is a long way away, if this becomes law. I'd rather have it take effect the moment the ink is dry from the governor's signature, honestly

chiefjason

Thanks for the post. I'm going to get it on a couple sites I frequent. I have not checked the schedule in a few days and look what I miss.

chiefjason

I just had this exchange with Senator Daniels, my rep. If you have a Senator on the Judiciary II committee, tell them we want this effective immediately. Let's get this done.

Sen. Daniel,

I see that the Castle Doctrine bill has been referred to Jud. II, which you co-chair. Is it a possibility to arrange the law so that it is effective immediately upon signing? Since this change requires no changes in procedure, time to plan for it, or any real affect on a state agency it would not seem to be a problem making it effective immediately. Thank you again for your support of this legislation and your service to our Burke County and the state of North Carolina.

Sincerely,

Jason
=======================
I think that this is a valid point and will bring it up with my colleagues.

Senator Warren T. Daniel

You can check the members of Senate Judiciary II here.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Comm...ewCommittee&sActionDetails=Senate Standing_71

Also a companion House bill was introduced today. Time to email your House Reps too.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=H52

Northerner

Don't get too excited over these bills. They are not what we want. Needs to be some tweeking done.

Not getting sued by the family or t*hug that tries to assualt me or brought up on charges of manslaughter for justified deadly force, sounds good to me, if it passes

chiefjason

Don't get too excited over these bills. They are not what we want. Needs to be some tweeking done.

Well, the current law is garbage. So what's the problem with this one? And it tends to be easier to revise a law than to generate an entirely new one. Why is it a problem to strengthen the laws now and tweak any problems at a later date? Sometimes this is exactly why we never get anything done, "all or nothing." So far we have ended up with nothing. We did not loose these rights at one time, and the chance of getting them back at one time are slim to none. Would it be nice if we did, sure. But it's going to be a dog fight to get some of them back and there is no sense holding up popular legislation to wait for the harder fought legislation to pass.

Unless I am missing something here, I don't see the problem with supporting this.