• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please do what you can to help!

Tucker6900

Please, if you have a chance, send a message to the below listed emails. This is for our Right to Bear Arms amendment to the Iowa Constitution. I have added a sample letter below, use as needed. Any and all support is appreciated! Thanks for the help!!!

NRA/Iowa Firearms Coalition's State Constitutional Provision Under Attack in the Public Safety Committee:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6191

clel.baudler@legis.state.ia.us<clel.baudler@legis.state.ia.us>

Tom.Shaw@legis.state.ia.us<Tom.Shaw@legis.state.ia.us>

bob.kressig@legis.state.ia.us<bob.kressig@legis.state.ia.us>

dwayne.alons@legis.state.ia.us<dwayne.alons@legis.state.ia.us>

mark.brandenburg@legis.state.ia.us<mark.brandenburg@legis.state.ia.us>

joel.fry@legis.state.ia.us<joel.fry@legis.state.ia.us>

chris.hagenow@legis.state.ia.us<chris.hagenow@legis.state.ia.us>

jarad.klein@legis.state.ia.us<jarad.klein@legis.state.ia.us>

steven.olson@legis.state.ia.us<steven.olson@legis.state.ia.us>

henry.rayhons@legis.state.ia.us<henry.rayhons@legis.state.ia.us>

thomas.sands@legis.state.ia.us<thomas.sands@legis.state.ia.us>

kurt.swaim@legis.state.ia.us<kurt.swaim@legis.state.ia.us>

david.tjepkes@legis.state.ia.us<david.tjepkes@legis.state.ia.us>

Matt.windschitl@legis.state.ia.us<Matt.windschitl@legis.state.ia.us>

gary.worthan@legis.state.ia.us<gary.worthan@legis.state.ia.us

Representative Clel Baudler, et al,

I am writing to you to urge you to keep HSB 17 as it is currently worded. The proposed removal of the word "carry" from HSB 17 will neuter its effectiveness, and fly in the face of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. As presented, to "bear" arms means to "carry" arms. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms has been guaranteed as an individual right by two separate Supreme Court decisions. In other words, all individuals have the right to possess and carry arms.

If HSB eventually becomes law Iowa would be the 45th state in the country to have a similar constitutional amendment guarding and clarifying the intent of the legislature to protect the citizen's full second amendment rights. The bill of rights states "keep and bear" with bear implying carry, posses, etc. It is incredibly important to have in our own constitution reflect this as well! Without it, we are at risk of loosing our rights based on the outcomes of elections and appointments of future Supreme Court Justices.

Right now before you there is an opportunity to follow the precedent of 44 other states that have a constitutional amendment protecting citizen's rights from being undercut by federal legislation or precedent. Please do the right thing for the state of Iowa be leaving HSB 17 intact in its' current form.

Do NOT remove the word "carry" from HSB 17!

Sincerely,

My name, addr, tn here.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Please, if you have a chance, send a message to the below listed emails. This is for our Right to Bear Arms amendment to the Iowa Constitution. I have added a sample letter below, use as needed. Any and all support is appreciated! Thanks for the help!!!

Nit-picking, but form, spelling and grammar are important when making an impression:

2nd paragraph: Should be "HSB 17" not just "HSB"
2nd paragraph: it's "possess", not "posses"
2nd paragraph: it's "losing" not "loosing"
3rd paragraph: it's "citizens' " not "citizen's" (because you are speaking of all, not one.)
3rd paragraph: it's "its" not "its' "

Otherwise, a great letter. Good luck with it.