• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mount Airy Gated-Community Plan Stalled

TaborCity

I read this this morning and i thought that it would be a sorts reminder of how stupid things can be

http://www.wxii12.com/news/26742713/detail.html

This is the same thing that happened to my wifes brother if FLORIDA inside a gated community.

These HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATIONS make all sorts of dumb rule to go by and then something stupid happens.

While nothing has happened here but there are references that some of the owners wish do not want to be included in a GATED COMMUNITY.
I know some of these GATED COMMUNITYS are fine and all that, but most have rules concerning firearms that are realy in the grey area of the law.

sultan62

I've never been involved in a HOA situation, but we've all heard stories.

Bottom line, what happens if you refuse to make the changes they require, refuse to pay fines, etc.? I would imagine that if you moved into a gated community, that would be covered in a contract, though I'm still not sure what the action taken by the HOA would include. However, there is discussion of converting a non-gated community to a gated community, so how might it work in that situation?

elixin77

HOAs are like unions - their usefulness has long been expired, but they are still in power, and are growing stronger and stronger every day.

I for one absolutely refuse to live in any development that is operated by an HOA - I don't want to be told what kind of grass I must have, how often I'm to do something, and I especially don't want to get any approval for what I want to do to MY house. If I want to paint it sky blue with hot pink shutters, so be it (not that I would, just saying is all).

Coniferous

I have heard so many horror stories about HOAs. I'll admit they have their uses, and as contracts go many would agree with most of what they stipulate... but as for me, I will never, ever sign one. Some of them state that you can't even have a gun in your house.

The article's point is hard to determine, but it seems that the citizens of the are aren't sure they want a gated community, especially if it means converting a non-gated community to a gated one.

papa bear

hey everybody. i was kind of surprised to see this on here. i just found out about it this morning. when i took my grandkids to McDs. after reading more about it, i am proud of the fact that there are council members not wanting to force citizens into this situation and saying if there are people wanting to live in these kind of communities so be it. i have dealt some with the gated around the Piedmont and some of the restricted "resort" communities along the mountains. and i would not want to live there. there are quite a few areas in Mt Airy that have very strict home owners regulations now (historic districts) . i know in NC there is the forced annexation laws, but i don't know how that would apply in this situation.
i recently met a couple who are very much 2ndA supporters, that bought into a community and one of their complaints was they couldn't do any shooting around their mountain home

TaborCity

Gated community

I have a freind that stays next to that area, he says that most of the people that stay their dont want to become residents of that GATED COMMUNITY because some of the laws on firearms, mostly open carry, are in the grey area of the law.
This COMMUNITY and the HOA's rules that they would try to inforce has some rules that might be construed as civil rights violations.

1. While living in the COMUNNITY, no FIRE-ARMS in open
2. While living in the COMMUNITY, some restrictions adopted by the HOA'S rules most be obayed at all times.
3. No FIRE-ARMS on GATED PROPERTY allowed.
I lived in a GATED-COMMUNITY about 10 years ago in ROCKINGHAM county, rule 10, paragragh 3, sub section 3.1 stated [ UNDER NO CONDITION ARE FIRE-ARMS allowed on GATED-PROPERTY.
I just thinking that if you paid $265,000.00 for home and land there, you should be able to at least have fire arms in home, but the wording of most of the rules that they have forbid FIRE-ARMS on the PROPERTY that you use to get to your house

SIGguy229

There is no way I would live in a place with a HOA with any firearms provisions, much less, living in a place with a HOA to begin with. I've passed on several houses while in the market for a house....and the HOA is the deal-breaker. While they do serve a purpose, it's the small tyrants that ruin it--and I don't have the time and energy to deal with them--except in a expeditious and kinetic way. If the HOA isn't making my mortgage payment, they do not decide what I can or cannot own, or what I can or cannot do on my property.

Now, don't misconstrue what I am saying. I'm not saying it's ok to put a car up on blocks in the front yard or spread trash all over the street--that isn't why HOAs have a bad name....it's small, petty tyrants who go measure your grass and start sending nasty-grams to build a record of "non-compliance" instead of being neighborly...you know, talking to your neighbors and learn about them? Instead, I end up reading about HOAs who move to assess fines towards foreclosure of the house....yeah, I hate HOAs

rotorhead

I can't figure out why anyone with a shred of common sense about them could ever agree to move into a housing area that had any sort of rules like the ones described in the OP.

I was at a friends house a few months ago and he lives in one of them places. We went shooting in an area behind his house in a cleared out space that was actually not part of the housing area. We had permission from the owner and was shooting into a high walled pit so there was no chance that a round could have escaped unless it was on purpose.

After maybe 30 minutes some dude came through the woods and talked with us about how we weren't supposed to be shooting guns there and that the housing area had rules against it and blah blah blah...he mentioned that he had received at least six calls from the neighbors and they were demanding that he find out who was shooting and to do something about it.

My friend explained to him that we weren't actually in the housing area, that we had permission from the owner, and that he was actually trespassing at the moment as he did not have permission to be there. He then informed us that if we kept shooting he would have "no choice" but to call the Sheriff. By then I had grown bored with him and told him he had every right to call anyone he wanted, but I was through listening to him. I didn't give him another chance to say anything as I started shooting again to drown him out. He gave up and left to do whatever it was he does in life.

No Sheriff ever came out and we were there for another 45 mins or so.

The gall of these "leaders" irks me. How anyone could hand over their rights to live as they choose over to someone like that is beyond my comprehension. I can't see paying $250,000- $500,000 to be enslaved in your domicile.