Thread: NY and Audio/Video recorders

NY and Audio/Video recorders

I'm planning a road trip to NH. On the trip I plan to transport under 18 USC 926A.

I will keep my driving clean, if stopped not answer any questions nor consent to any searches. My question is this:

I'd want to video/audio record the stop on my iPhone with Qik. The audio and video would be uploaded live in real time to the Internet, where it can't be deleted from the phone.

What's the legality of recording interactions with Police in upstate New York?

Thank you for helping a person from out of State understand your laws (fascist like though some of them are).
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I'm planning a road trip to NH. On the trip I plan to transport under 18 USC 926A.

I will keep my driving clean, if stopped not answer any questions nor consent to any searches. My question is this:

I'd want to video/audio record the stop on my iPhone with Qik. The audio and video would be uploaded live in real time to the Internet, where it can't be deleted from the phone.

What's the legality of recording interactions with Police in upstate New York?

Thank you for helping a person from out of State understand your laws (fascist like though some of them are).
    At least one party being recorded, must be aware of the recording, for it to be legal. That one party is you, therefore you can record all you like and you do not need to announce that you are doing it. During a stop, most people will put their phone on record and place it in the cup holder with the camera lens facing the window. Police are well aware of it and will not question you for doing it if they happen to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmanci View Post
    At least one party being recorded, must be aware of the recording, for it to be legal. That one party is you, therefore you can record all you like and you do not need to announce that you are doing it. During a stop, most people will put their phone on record and place it in the cup holder with the camera lens facing the window. Police are well aware of it and will not question you for doing it if they happen to notice.
    Agreed. Each state may be different.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"