• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY and Audio/Video recorders

TheQ

I'm planning a road trip to NH. On the trip I plan to transport under 18 USC 926A.

I will keep my driving clean, if stopped not answer any questions nor consent to any searches. My question is this:

I'd want to video/audio record the stop on my iPhone with Qik. The audio and video would be uploaded live in real time to the Internet, where it can't be deleted from the phone.

What's the legality of recording interactions with Police in upstate New York?

Thank you for helping a person from out of State understand your laws (fascist like though some of them are).

ronmanci

I'm planning a road trip to NH. On the trip I plan to transport under 18 USC 926A.

I will keep my driving clean, if stopped not answer any questions nor consent to any searches. My question is this:

I'd want to video/audio record the stop on my iPhone with Qik. The audio and video would be uploaded live in real time to the Internet, where it can't be deleted from the phone.

What's the legality of recording interactions with Police in upstate New York?

Thank you for helping a person from out of State understand your laws (fascist like though some of them are).

At least one party being recorded, must be aware of the recording, for it to be legal. That one party is you, therefore you can record all you like and you do not need to announce that you are doing it. During a stop, most people will put their phone on record and place it in the cup holder with the camera lens facing the window. Police are well aware of it and will not question you for doing it if they happen to notice.

emsjeep

At least one party being recorded, must be aware of the recording, for it to be legal. That one party is you, therefore you can record all you like and you do not need to announce that you are doing it. During a stop, most people will put their phone on record and place it in the cup holder with the camera lens facing the window. Police are well aware of it and will not question you for doing it if they happen to notice.

Agreed. Each state may be different.