• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shipping a Firearm

M

mattwestm

I have a few questions about shipping a firearm. I recently bought another 1911 and the seller, an FFL dealer in Nashville shipped it via USPS. I was under the impression that only long guns are allowed to be shipped via USPS and everything else had to be shipped via UPS/Fedex.

The last time I shipped a rifle, I just used UPS and didn't have any problems. Are there any exceptions for FFL holders? Can they ship firearms via USPS?

BTW: I love my new 1911 and I installed some WWII era GI grips and an arched mainspring housing with lanyard loop. I'll probably install a widespur hammer soon to make it look as authentic as possible.

Dreamer

I have a few questions about shipping a firearm. I recently bought another 1911 and the seller, an FFL dealer in Nashville shipped it via USPS. I was under the impression that only long guns are allowed to be shipped via USPS and everything else had to be shipped via UPS/Fedex.

First off, I'm wondering how you even know who it was shipped, since it is illegal to have a newly=purchased handgun shipped directly to you from out of state. It should have been shipped to your local NC FFL, who would then run the NICS check before letting you take possession of it...

Anyway, USPS does not accept handguns for shipment in their offices, you are correct. But perhaps he has an account, and has a "pickup service" where he packages and applies postage himself (like with a postal meter) and the USPS carrier picks up the packages at his business--which would sort of get around the prohibition against individuals bringing firearms onto postal property.

I don't know--it sounds like that FFL is asking for trouble, using USPS. Plus, I wouldn't trust anything more expensive (or breakable) than a box of bricks to USPS. I use FedEx for almost ALL my bulk shipping, guns and everything else...

M

mattwestm

Sorry for the misunderstanding, it was shipped to an FFL. I only know how it was shipped because they provided tracking number was from USPS and the box is a USPS box. Also, their tracking pretty much sucks. I had the gun before the tracking updated to "delivered".