• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield 1911 Range Officer... My first 1911!!

Johnsmith1521

So I did it! I finally got my first 1911!!!:monkey It took me a while to figure out what I was going to get... I've always been a springfield fan so I went with them... So once I'm don't breaking it in, this will be my new carry gun... I carry a XD45 4", So one of my questions about 1911's is, what is the best way to carry it? cock n' locked, or hammer down, without a round in the chamber? I figured cock n' locked, but I'm a little nervous considering I've never carried a single action pistol... so any help would be nice... Thanks guys... btw, I got it at Bullseye, man I love that place!:monkey

.45ACPaddy

Cocked, locked and ready to rock is the way to go. That's how 1911's were designed to be carried. Hammer down can be dangerous, if anything.

I carry a Springfield Amory XD .45 as well, and believe it or not, you're currently carrying a single action pistol! WITH NO SAFETY! (well mine has one, don't know about yours!) The striker his held in the cocked position, that's why that little doohickey sticks out of the back of the slide. When you pull the trigger, the sear drops into the frame and releases the striker.

Carry with confidence. About every 2000 rounds, or every couple years, drop the slide with nothing in the chamber and make sure the hammer doesn't follow. Don't do it more often than that, you'll get peening on the hood of the chamber.

o2ryan

Cocked, locked and ready to rock is the way to go. That's how 1911's were designed to be carried. Hammer down can be dangerous, if anything.

I carry a Springfield Amory XD .45 as well, and believe it or not, you're currently carrying a single action pistol! WITH NO SAFETY! (well mine has one, don't know about yours!) The striker his held in the cocked position, that's why that little doohickey sticks out of the back of the slide. When you pull the trigger, the sear drops into the frame and releases the striker.

Carry with confidence. About every 2000 rounds, or every couple years, drop the slide with nothing in the chamber and make sure the hammer doesn't follow. Don't do it more often than that, you'll get peening on the hood of the chamber.

What he said, + congratulations!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Batousaii

1911 - WooT

Congratzz !
- I have a Colt 1911 Combat Commander as my winter gun, i absolutely love it.
- 80's series 1911 can be hammer down, but it is a "B" to thumb back, and true fact, Cocked and Locked is by design the way to carry it. Never Never Never carry a 70 series or earlier hammer down, they can discharge if dropped - 80's series have a firing pin block that prevents this ... For brands other than Colt, you'd need to know if it has a true firing pin block (80-S style) before deciding on a hammer down 1911.
- I used to carry Hammer down with my (80 series) 1911, but after a little uncomfortable situation changed to standard, more traditional (and correct) Cocked and Locked. Thumbing a hammer back when stressed can be.. well.. stressful...
- Another alternative is empty chamber and practice those Israeli slide racking drills. All in all it is about knowing (or learning) the mechanics of your firearm, and doing what is comfortable within it's mechanical safety features.

Congrats on a great gun, 1911 is a damn sexy beast.

Bat

Ruby

Congratulations! Cocked and locked is definitely the way to go. I have a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander and that's how I carry mine. I was nervous at first, but as I learned more about my gun, I became very comfortable carrying it that way. 1911s are great guns, at least the ones I have shot have been.

BigIrish

Great info

Congratzz !
- I have a Colt 1911 Combat Commander as my winter gun, i absolutely love it.
- 80's series 1911 can be hammer down, but it is a "B" to thumb back, and true fact, Cocked and Locked is by design the way to carry it. Never Never Never carry a 70 series or earlier hammer down, they can discharge if dropped - 80's series have a firing pin block that prevents this ... For brands other than Colt, you'd need to know if it has a true firing pin block (80-S style) before deciding on a hammer down 1911.
- I used to carry Hammer down with my (80 series) 1911, but after a little uncomfortable situation changed to standard, more traditional (and correct) Cocked and Locked. Thumbing a hammer back when stressed can be.. well.. stressful...
- Another alternative is empty chamber and practice those Israeli slide racking drills. All in all it is about knowing (or learning) the mechanics of your firearm, and doing what is comfortable within it's mechanical safety features.

Congrats on a great gun, 1911 is a damn sexy beast.

Bat

Im in the market for a 1911, and had the same question lol...
Any sugestions on a reasonable priced 1911?

Johnsmith1521

Thanks guys! I did feel like a little kid when I got it... So since I'm new to the 1911, what is the proper way to start shooting out of the box? sure I field strip it and oil it up before shooting? didn't really have to do that with my XD, until the first cleaning... but i know they are miles apart...

tony d tiger

Im in the market for a 1911, and had the same question lol...
Any sugestions on a reasonable priced 1911?

Held a Remington R1 today - pretty nice for the price (~$600 IIRC). Had some of the improvements I had to pay a smithy for, to make my Series 80 Colt work right... just before that terrible boating accident. ;)

BigIrish

Good price...

I'll look up some reviews.

Has anyone shot the Rock Island GI ($450+/-)
In doing resherch and reading reviews it has top markimg ect.. Even better than the base line Pera Ordinance
And another question is; what about night sights??

aktion

The OP did say hammer down without a round in the chamber, which is perfectly safe. Not necessary, but for someone who hasn't carried a traditional single action, not an unwise decision. The ideal, as others have mentioned, is cocked and locked. Perhaps consider carrying the XD for a while longer until you become more confident and proficient in the design and function of your 1911.

Great choice, I carry a Springfield 1911 as well, and am very pleased with it.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
+1 to all of the above

However...... Get use to the folks asking... "You know your hammer is cocked?"

Also... This thread USELESS without pics.... Gunny does not approve !

18410You_forgot_to_post_pictures_of_your_new_weapon_son_.gif

Johnsmith1521

there is one thing that i'm too sure about... The sights... i've never really used adjustable sights, my xd still has the factory sights and are fixed... does it really matter? I'm leaning towards the wilson combat snag free sights, those should fit on my springer RO? any info would be appreciated... but I do love this gun, won't be my last one, but will always be my first... :banana:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'll look up some reviews.

Has anyone shot the Rock Island GI ($450+/-)
In doing resherch and reading reviews it has top markimg ect.. Even better than the base line Pera Ordinance
And another question is; what about night sights??

I have both an RIA GI and an RIA Tactical. The Tactical I've modified extensively.

Both are great shooters and were worth every penny. I shoot them better than my XD, or any plastic gun I've fired. Especially the Tactical. My favorite gun to shoot, ever.

Kryteon

So I did it! I finally got my first 1911!!!:monkey It took me a while to figure out what I was going to get... I've always been a springfield fan so I went with them... So once I'm don't breaking it in, this will be my new carry gun... I carry a XD45 4", So one of my questions about 1911's is, what is the best way to carry it? cock n' locked, or hammer down, without a round in the chamber? I figured cock n' locked, but I'm a little nervous considering I've never carried a single action pistol... so any help would be nice... Thanks guys... btw, I got it at Bullseye, man I love that place!:monkey

I carry a SA 1911 Milspec cocked and locked. Buy some snapcaps and carry in condition one around the house until you feel comfortable. Be sure to follow all safety procedures.

I like the Range Officer. I have my eye on one too.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Kryteon

SpyderTattoo

Check out Ameriglo for night sights, specifically the "Hackathorn" setup. Do dome research on night sights before purchasing. I have a set of the "Hackathorn" sights on both my glocks and really like them.

The first LE encounter I had, several years ago, I was carrying a Kimber in condition 1. The officer made a smarmy comment about open carrying not legal and "especially with the hammer back like that..." as he points to it. :banghead:

BigIrish

+5

I have both an RIA GI and an RIA Tactical. The Tactical I've modified extensively.

Both are great shooters and were worth every penny. I shoot them better than my XD, or any plastic gun I've fired. Especially the Tactical. My favorite gun to shoot, ever.

thanks. i wish i could say money wasn't an issue....but as most people know....it is....blah blah blah
i do really like the RIA Tac,

i went to Sam's in Everett and tried out a couple pee shooters, i shot remarkably better with all the 1911's than i did with the XDM and S&W m&p.

Last edited:

Ruby

Thanks guys! I did feel like a little kid when I got it... So since I'm new to the 1911, what is the proper way to start shooting out of the box? sure I field strip it and oil it up before shooting? didn't really have to do that with my XD, until the first cleaning... but i know they are miles apart...

I'm not familiar with your particular 1911, but it can't hurt to strip it and lubricate it, especially if the tolerances are tight. They (the gun store) should have advised you on that.

Trigger Dr

BigIrish,
Go to the "1911 forum" anad check out the section on manufacturers.
Also Google these places.. Armscor, Advanced tactical, Rock Island Arms. I have the RIA GI in 38 super. I have added better adjustable sights, combat hammer, Wilson Combat grip safety, Did a polish and buff, (Be very careful if you polish the feed ramp) with 2000 grit wet or dry. The RIA guns like to be run wet, not dripping with oil, but well lubed. I shot this group at 15 yds, in COLD weather. Can do better when warm no shivering.

013.jpg