• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield 1911 Range Officer... My first 1911!!

BigIrish

nice shootin tex.

BigIrish,
Go to the "1911 forum" anad check out the section on manufacturers.
Also Google these places.. Armscor, Advanced tactical, Rock Island Arms. I have the RIA GI in 38 super. I have added better adjustable sights, combat hammer, Wilson Combat grip safety, Did a polish and buff, (Be very careful if you polish the feed ramp) with 2000 grit wet or dry. The RIA guns like to be run wet, not dripping with oil, but well lubed. I shot this group at 15 yds, in COLD weather. Can do better when warm no shivering.

013.jpg

good info,

Johnsmith1521

proper break in?

So how many rounds would be considered a good break in? I was thinking around 400-500, then a good cleaning and I should be good to go... right?

I would really like to thank everyone here on the WA forum, it's good to get opinions from Washingtonians! I can't wait to meet everyone at whatever next meet up coming up... I know there's one tomorrow and I might take my boy with me on this one and leave the girls at home...

BigIrish

oh ya

So how many rounds would be considered a good break in? I was thinking around 400-500, then a good cleaning and I should be good to go... right?

I would really like to thank everyone here on the WA forum, it's good to get opinions from Washingtonians! I can't wait to meet everyone at whatever next meet up coming up... I know there's one tomorrow and I might take my boy with me on this one and leave the girls at home...

Hell bring them with! I feel we here in WA are WAY ahead of the curve on OCDO
And welcome!

carracer

Welcome to Gods world of firearms! It's been said "Gods gun" "Gods caliber". I choose to follow God!

The only time I was ever asked to leave a place was at a Cowboy Fast Draw Contest. I was in the stands as a spectator and one of the contestants didn't like me carrying. Then he noticed I was condition 1 and really freaked out!

Enjoy!

FedwyCC

I'll look up some reviews.

Has anyone shot the Rock Island GI ($450+/-)
In doing resherch and reading reviews it has top markimg ect.. Even better than the base line Pera Ordinance
And another question is; what about night sights??

i carry a rock island 1911 full size every day and have put probably 1000 rounds through it and never an issue. some people talk trash about them that they're cheaply made but truth is, they are made on old colt machines with the old dies, just in the Philippines. i love the gun for the money. of course you can go and drop 1800 bucks on a nighthawk custom or a dan wesson but if your new to the 1911's you can carry a rock island and be just fine. mine is great on accuracy and i've switched out some 1911 grips and springs and other parts to it and never had an issue with fitment. so i totally recommend them.

Johnsmith1521

i carry a rock island 1911 full size every day and have put probably 1000 rounds through it and never an issue. some people talk trash about them that they're cheaply made but truth is, they are made on old colt machines with the old dies, just in the Philippines. i love the gun for the money. of course you can go and drop 1800 bucks on a nighthawk custom or a dan wesson but if your new to the 1911's you can carry a rock island and be just fine. mine is great on accuracy and i've switched out some 1911 grips and springs and other parts to it and never had an issue with fitment. so i totally recommend them.

I totally agree, I don't own a RIA but I was born and raised in the Philippines and I stand behind there work so to speak... Filipino's take pride in everything they do including making firearms... The RIA is defiantly on the list of guns to own... I just wanted my first 1911 to be a Springfield...

.45ACPaddy

If you go for aftermarket mags, Springers don't play nice with Wilson Combat mags. Chip McCormick mags are the way to go in my experience.

I miss my 1911, but I shoot better with the XD, so that's what I carry daily. When I have the money, I'll expand my collection to include a 1911.

Bo

Ah, .45ACPaddy, I find that I must respectfully disagree with you regarding your statement on magazine selection. Over the past 10 years, I've purchased (all new) one Springfield Armory parkerized Mil-Spec, one SA stainless Mil-Spec, two SA Loaded Lightweight Bi-tone MicroCompacts, one SA stainless Loaded Champion and one SA Loaded Black Stainless (full-size).

Each AND every one of these Springfield Armory 1911s has performed flawlessly with the original Wilson Combat 47s (47D for the Champ and 5-inchers, 47OX for the Micros). I've fired probably several thousand rounds through all my Springers and never, ever had a problem with Wilson Combat mags.

Strangely, my Champ and full-sized models have choked (although only a few times) on my CMC mags. I will not ever again use Pro-Mags, USA mags, Checkmate mags or Kimber mags in my SAs, but I've got some ACT mags (Novaks) and the newer Mec-Gars that so far work well. Factory SA mags are generally good, too ...

To the OP -- I think the Range Officer is a nifty piece -- SA finally producing a full-sized Loaded model with NO silly front-cocking serrations! (And adjustable target sights). Good choice for a first 1911, for sure.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

A little info about Rock Island Arms.

STI is one of the Hi Priced QUALITY 1911 manufaacturers.
The following comments were made by master pistolsmiths on the 1911forum, reguarding RIA 1911 firearms.

The MATCH is the STI's SPartan w/ the RIA emblem. Materials are from STI but marked w/ RIA. But pls don't qoute me this is per my LGS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIA makes frames and slides for STI then ships them to Texas where STI uses some other co. parts to put them together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIA makes frames and slides and other parts for the Spartan that meet STI specs - STI supplies to RIA in the P.I. the STI parts such as trigger - hammer - sear - disonnector - not sure what else.

Pistol is assembled in P.I. - shipped to STI for distribution.

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

When I had my Springer 1911 GI model, Wilson Combat mags just wouldn't feed. Round would go halfway into the chamber and stop. CMC's always did feed just fine.

Guess every gun is different.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
When I had my Springer 1911 GI model, Wilson Combat mags just wouldn't feed. Round would go halfway into the chamber and stop. CMC's always did feed just fine.

Guess every gun is different.

That's because you were using Wilson Combat mags. The failure you describe is classic for magazines which ignore the controlled feed principle. I would have guessed Wilson Combat from your description even if you hadn't specified.

Read the following (part one and part two both have subparts):

1911 Magazine Analysis

Part 2

Last edited:

onlurker

+1 more person who just got their first 1911 :banana:

I'd post pictures but don't want to unintentionally hijack the thread. The details though, it's a Kimber Pro Carry II in stainless.

JSlack

I got one too!!!

So I did it! I finally got my first 1911!!!:monkey It took me a while to figure out what I was going to get... I've always been a springfield fan so I went with them... So once I'm don't breaking it in, this will be my new carry gun... I carry a XD45 4", So one of my questions about 1911's is, what is the best way to carry it? cock n' locked, or hammer down, without a round in the chamber? I figured cock n' locked, but I'm a little nervous considering I've never carried a single action pistol... so any help would be nice... Thanks guys... btw, I got it at Bullseye, man I love that place!:monkey

I picked up a Range Officer for my Christmas present last year. I happened to get one that was marked "1 of 500", came with a certificate and what not. Pretty cool deal. I carry a XDm40, so was drawn to Springfield for my first 1911 as well. So far I have not been disappointed at all!!
Since day one of owning both pistols(8 months of ever day carry for the XDm) I have carried round in the chamber, never an issue. It was the way these pistols were designed to be used, and I have every confidence in their function and handling.

Johnsmith1521

I picked up a Range Officer for my Christmas present last year. I happened to get one that was marked "1 of 500", came with a certificate and what not. Pretty cool deal. I carry a XDm40, so was drawn to Springfield for my first 1911 as well. So far I have not been disappointed at all!!
Since day one of owning both pistols(8 months of ever day carry for the XDm) I have carried round in the chamber, never an issue. It was the way these pistols were designed to be used, and I have every confidence in their function and handling.

Nice!!! I've been carrying my XD45 for a couple of years now, but have always wanted a 1911... I know it's suppose to be a entry level comp pistol, I'm not an expert just what I've read in a lot of articles... I going to put some XS standard dots on it, I figure with a supposed "match pistol" and good defensive sights, it'd be a good EDC...

But this 1911 is awesome! I'm getting some grips in sometime this week so once those go on, the sights next (when I get paid):lol: I think my RO would be a good EDC gun...