• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A place to help us all write better

eye95

If we point out errors in threads where they occur, the thread can be sidetracked. Worse, justified or not, pointing out the error could be seen as nitpicking and as an unreasonable attempt to discredit a posters POV with something irrelevant to that POV.

Yet (I hope) we all want to write well. So...what to do?

How about we point out common errors when we spot them, but in some place other than the threads where they occur, where they would be a distraction? Say, here?

For example, several folks use "definately" for "definitely." One way to remember the correct spelling is to remember that both "definitely" and "finite" come from the same Latin root that means having a limit or an end--as does the French word "fin," which means "end."

Just in case someone thinks that the purpose of this thread is to be hypercritical, let me invite folks to point out errors in my writing too. I don't mind learning to write better.

Of course, this thread will be useful only if we don't call out specific posters. If we focus on the error and the correction, we all can improve our writing without having to be petty with each other.

epilogue

Derek Zoolander: So join now, 'cause at the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than just being really, really, really good looking. Right kids?

It just fit in my mind. :p

Last edited:

Freedom First

Thank you epliogue!

I've been waiting for someone to work a Zoolander quote into OC for over a year of watching. Ahhh, the relief...

:banana::banana::banana:

sharkey

Thanks, I kept wanting to say definitely but kept writing defiantly so just took that word out of my vocabulary. I wasn't trying to be defiant, now I can use it.:D

William Fisher

I'm bad with the I before e except after c spellings. The following is usually used.

i before e except after c
or when sounded like a
as in neighbor and weigh

There are exceptions though, such as neither, height, leisure, their and weird.

I seem to always have trouble with their (get in too much of a hurry). A big problem I have is with the correct use of commas.

eye95

...I seem to always have trouble with their (get in too much of a hurry). A big problem I have is with the correct use of commas.

Think about "their" being a variant of "they," with the "i" taking the place of the "y," as it does in so many variants of so many other words, such as "variant."

On the commas, I have been working on not over-using them. Apparently the Framers had trouble with them too--as in the 2A.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Think about "their" being a variant of "they," with the "i" taking the place of the "y," as it does in so many variants of so many other words, such as "variant."

On the commas, I have been working on not over-using them. Apparently the Framers had trouble with them too--as in the 2A.

All of the variants of the word that sounds like "there" start with "the"

Their
There
They're

Remember that, and you'll never misspell "their" again. Now, which "there" is which -- we were taught "their" was the person who could be the heir. And "they're" is a contraction of "they are". Process of elimination leaves "there" for a place.

The other trick I remember from elementary school (a looooooooonnnnnnnnnng time ago): I smell a rat in separate.

Gunslinger

No matter how articulate/well educated/experienced (old) we are, there are always words that catch us. Committee is mine. Comittee is mine. Commitee is mine....see what I mean:>

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Unfortunately, due to eye95 placing me on his ignore list, he has not been privy to a couple of recent corrections I made of his usage/spelling. :p

I generally use private messages for this, though. Especially folks I like... I send 'em a quick PM whenever I see a mistake the correction of which I think might benefit their arguments.

Last edited:

sharkey

That's just weird.

Darn, I just saw you already had that one listed.

I'm bad with the I before e except after c spellings. The following is usually used.

i before e except after c
or when sounded like a
as in neighbor and weigh

There are exceptions though, such as neither, height, leisure, their and weird.

I seem to always have trouble with their (get in too much of a hurry). A big problem I have is with the correct use of commas.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

You don't have a spell check in your browser?

Any way, wen sum use spell Czech, it does knot ketch awl they're spelling miss steaks.

i like to use lotsa commas.
i just recently learned how spell checker worked, but sometimes my word is so botched
that the returns are not the right word, so i have to misspell my word all over again
in the attempt to illicit the correct spelling of the right word.
i am getting better, i just spelled that whole paragraph without spell checker stopping me!

years ago, when i was taught I before E, i thought learning that one rule would be enough.
little did I know that their are more exceptions than rules, and their are more
exceptions to the exceptions!

sudden valley gunner

The framers did not have trouble with them. It was on purpose to distinguish, that the people's (not just in the militia sense) right to bear arms shall not be infringed.

1245A Defender

and,,,

I am sick and tired, of Cs acting like Ss, and Ss acting like Zs!!!
Just who in HEII invented this dumb spelling thing anyway??
if i have to damn, and comb, climb, or knife,,, where do all these
silent letters go to die?

END_THE_FED

Someone already posted a funny link about this common mistake, however not everyone clicks on all the links so it might be worth pointing out again.

The phrase "a lot" is two separate words. There is no such word as "alot".

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

Through v. Threw.

Tommy threw his ball and it went right through the open window and landed on the table.
When Jane was through with her test she went to the library.

Hey v. hay.

Jane forgot the rancher's name and said, hey mister can I feed your horse some hay?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I am sick and tired, of Cs acting like Ss, and Ss acting like Zs!!!
Just who in HEII invented this dumb spelling thing anyway??
if i have to damn, and comb, climb, or knife,,, where do all these
silent letters go to die?

I agree! It would have only taken 47 letters for a complete phoenemic alphabet, instead of the measely 26.

Last edited: