Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open carry @DMV on Eisenhower Ave, Alexandria

Open carry @DMV on Eisenhower Ave, Alexandria

So I walked in got my customer number and sat down. Security guard came and tapped me from behind. He said "hey sir I know you have rights to carry just don't touch your handgun or make any flaunting gestures. But I'm sure you already understand. What are you carrying?" Told him I carrying a G22 Gen4. He started mentioning how he likes his G19 and all. But all in all I'm impressed with his professionalism and knowledge of our rights.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I guess it could have been worse, he could have told you not to be touching your droid !
    The best case should have been, he just left you alone ,
    or when you came in he said "hello" or good day and that should have been enough, and or included nice equipment !
    I never come up behind anyone to talk to them thats just rude, unless i am trying to have an advantage on them !

Personally, it seemed like he was bored and wanted to start a conversation. Before I left we talked for about 30 minutes about guns.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenreal View Post
    just don't touch your handgun
    I was one ins there and I had an itch.. and the security guard was like.. "sir.. please don't touch yer junk"
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

The real sad point is, he was probably too focused on you vs the riff raff that frequents the DMV. Seriously, was it necessary for him to say anything? Does he remind people when they leave to buckle up and not drink and drive?

I probably would've told him not to worry about law abiding citizens and singling them out but rather do his job and focus on the full picture.

Or told him to shut up/ignored him.
    Last edited by Curtis; 02-05-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Thumbs down

Indeed the most useless "security" services are those who latch on to law-abiding citizens and concentrate attention towards them instead of potential REAL threats.

Same applies to taxpayer subsidized law "enforcement".
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

He said "hey sir I know you have rights to carry just don't touch your handgun or make any flaunting gestures. But I'm sure you already understand...
    My response: "No I don't understand...please educate me."
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    So I walked in got my customer number and sat down. Security guard came and tapped me from behind. He said "hey sir I know you have rights to carry just don't touch your handgun or make any flaunting gestures. But I'm sure you already understand. What are you carrying?" Told him I carrying a G22 Gen4. He started mentioning how he likes his G19 and all. But all in all I'm impressed with his professionalism and knowledge of our rights.

Sounds to me like you did just fine, friend. And welcome aboard... we're pleased to have you with us.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I think that I would haver busted out laughing if I heard him say "flaunting gestures"
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    My response: "No I don't understand...please educate me."
    No kidding. Flaunting gestures?

"hey sir I know you have rights to carry just don't touch your handgun or make any flaunting gestures."
    It's not ME you have to worry about you Jackhole. And what if someone DID touch their handgun, like perhaps it was positioned improperly and digging into their side and they "re-arranged" things to be more comfy.... What are YOU gonna do about it? Even though the conversation went "OK" this sounds like a mall cop pimping his "authoritah".

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP just don't touch your handgun or make any flaunting gestures.
    Well, there goes Grapeshot's chance at wearing tight cut-offs and low-cut blouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Well, there goes Grapeshot's chance at wearing tight cut-offs and low-cut blouse.
    Thanks. Now I gotta get that image out of my head

I've OC'd thee numerous times with no interactions with DMV security.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1967 View Post
    I've OC'd thee numerous times with no interactions with DMV security.
    You must not have made any 'flaunting gestures'.... lol

The original poster probably happened upon a new/rookie security guard...

Having worked for the company that employs the VA DMV Armed Guards, I'm quite surprised at what seems to be at least a little professionalism.

You see, back when I worked for them (New Horizon Security Services), the riff raff were the guards themselves. It was a crappy company with crappy management and employees. I used them to get my security certifications and got the hell out. I was their best guard for a good three months though.

Now I've moved on to a different crappy security company but at least the money is good. But that's a different story.

Side note: apparently I was wrong, but I thought that the DMV was a GFZ. Learn something new every day.

Pete

I would have been tempted to just stared at him until he walked over to another area, then made eye contact with him and scratched my stomach, then my knee, then scratched my ass alternately while repeating "I'm not not touching it, I'm not touching it" like the kid in the back of a car going down the road "not touching" his sister while almost toughing her after she compliand to her mom that he was touching her.
    Last edited by mobeewan; 02-09-2011 at 03:47 AM.

He was BORED!

He was BORED out of his mind and wanted someone to talk to.

I couldn't imagine a more boring job!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    I would have asked him to define "flaunting gestures".
    Las Vegas Metro refers to this as a "furtive move" and can then kill you.

Complain to DMV

If my experience from 2008 is still valid, he violated VA DMV policy.

From http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ndria-VA/page4

I received a letter of apology from the Virginia Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles, D.B. Smit.

The relevant paragraphs of the letter read as follows:

"If an individual is observed carrying a firearm in a DMV Office and is acting in a non-threatening manner, it is DMV policy to notify the security officer on duty at that time. The security officer and DMV personnel are to observe the individual, but no action is to be taken.

Neither DMV personnel nor the security officer are to approach the individual or contact local law enforcement without first contacting DMV Law Enforcement Services. Unfortunately, the manager of the Alexandria officer and the security officer on duty failed to follow established procedures, and contacted local law enforcement instead. I apologize for this but can assure you they took this action only because they were concerned about the potential safety of our employees and customers. Please be assured that we have taken steps to ensure that all security officers and DMV personnel are aware of the procedures to follows in situations such as yours."

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Thanks. Now I gotta get that image out of my head
    Good Luck!
    I've been thinking about therapy since I saw a neked pitcher of Janet Reno anyway.

Sitting here right now, was just stopped and asked to return my firearm back to my car because it was against management's rules and state law to carry in a public building. I said no, it's not unless it's a courthouse and asked him to confirm with his manager. He never returned to me, so 15 minutes later I walked up to him and asked if he got that settled correctly, and he said yes, he now knows the law.

Karma has been restored, an off duty security guard just asked me what's involved in open carrying, and if she could do that while waiting for her concealed in the mail. yay.

happensI'm sitting at the dmv in spotsylvania right now, we'll see if anything happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast