• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry @DMV on Eisenhower Ave, Alexandria

XD Owner

Complain to DMV

If my experience from 2008 is still valid, he violated VA DMV policy.

From http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?35183-OC-in-Alexandria-VA/page4

I received a letter of apology from the Virginia Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles, D.B. Smit.

The relevant paragraphs of the letter read as follows:

"If an individual is observed carrying a firearm in a DMV Office and is acting in a non-threatening manner, it is DMV policy to notify the security officer on duty at that time. The security officer and DMV personnel are to observe the individual, but no action is to be taken.

Neither DMV personnel nor the security officer are to approach the individual or contact local law enforcement without first contacting DMV Law Enforcement Services. Unfortunately, the manager of the Alexandria officer and the security officer on duty failed to follow established procedures, and contacted local law enforcement instead. I apologize for this but can assure you they took this action only because they were concerned about the potential safety of our employees and customers. Please be assured that we have taken steps to ensure that all security officers and DMV personnel are aware of the procedures to follows in situations such as yours."

unrequited

Sitting here right now, was just stopped and asked to return my firearm back to my car because it was against management's rules and state law to carry in a public building. I said no, it's not unless it's a courthouse and asked him to confirm with his manager. He never returned to me, so 15 minutes later I walked up to him and asked if he got that settled correctly, and he said yes, he now knows the law.

TFred

Sitting here right now, was just stopped and asked to return my firearm back to my car because it was against management's rules and state law to carry in a public building. I said no, it's not unless it's a courthouse and asked him to confirm with his manager. He never returned to me, so 15 minutes later I walked up to him and asked if he got that settled correctly, and he said yes, he now knows the law.
This just kills me. Here is what I infer from your description of the actions taken:

1. Rent-a-Cop has no clue what the policies or laws are, but decides they want you to not have a gun.

2. RAC asks you to take gun to car, blames management and law. You say no, please check with management.

3. RAC confirms with management that you are OK, and there is no policy or law against having gun.

Conclusion: RAC has been telling bold-faced LIES to who knows how many people up until now!!

TFred

Last edited: