• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone Know About The Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact?

gunman

I had the bersa thunder ultra compact 45 and if the 40 is anything like the 45 its not so compact,it was really heavy,I didn't like carrying it at all so I traded it in on my 1911

j4l

Was considering a .45 UC prior to deciding upon an 845 (deciding factor ended up mostly being grip-size,I had difficulty with my sized hands getting a proper grip on the UC). Very very nice pistols.
The .40 however (apart from the chambering being a complete waste of time and $ compared to .45) -there was almost nothing "compact" about it, oddly enough.

Check out the .40UC side-by-side with the .45. The .40 is quiet a bit larger,overall.
Great pistols tho. Ambi controls,great sights, etc.

HvyMtl

I have an UC 45. It is easy. Easy to draw, easy to aim, easy to shoot, easy to clean.

My copy is quite accurate (more so than a friends high dollar Caspian 1911)

27 OZ unloaded is not heavy.

More like a 3/4 size pistol, particularly due to the Kahrs and others out there. And, it is a double stack magazine...

Ambidextrous out of the box, with slide release and safety on both sides ( a plus for me, as I am Ambidextrous, and I know the hand that gets to the gun 1st will be the one shooting it...)

Can be sensitive to ammo. (Do not recommend Winchester White Box) Does like the basic Remington 230 grain Jacketed hollow point.

It is a simple design, based on the Browning barrel locking system.
http://www.bersa.com.ar/thunder45ulpro_en.htm

Do I like it? Yes. Reliable? Yes. Easy to use and own? Yes. Comfortable in the hand? Yes. Fun to shoot? Oh H*** yeah! (The "mere" sound of it firing alone will make you smile...)

But...
The Finish is not the best. Get Matte. The prices for them now are pushing them towards more recognized brands. (They are more expensive now than a few years ago...) 7+1 shots. Just like a 1911. And, due to Philippine manufacturers, you can get a compact 1911 for around the same price. Which makes the issue of "Why not a 1911?" a valid thought. If you have big hands, you may find the grip a bit too small.

Ok, have you ever picked up a 40s&w and it felt like the manufacturer took their 9mm pistol and "up sized" it to handle the bigger caliber? And it makes you wonder? I feel like this with the UC 45. Although, Bersa has redone the UC45, now the Pro - with a different barrel (polygonal) a round in chamber indicator and a one slot picatinny rail.
It may now be a bit beefier. Extra magazines are expensive, as the knock offs are not very compatible...

Oh, it comes with 2 magazines. If you get only one, you are being shorted, or buying very old non-pro stock...

OP- The 40 I have not shot. The 9 and the 45 I have. The nine was the better of the two by miles.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Bahooah!

"The Judge?"

"Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact?"

Marketing hoopla. Visit your ranges. Find out what works and why. Get to know it and let it become your second wind.

j4l

Actually, the Bersas are quiet good pistols. Marketing aside, they actually function well, are designed well, and offer features for the $$ that smoke some of the competition..

As for the Judges, they work quiet well also-I fully intend to get one for around here-but primarily for use against some of the more dangerous critters that frequent my area-snakes, coyote, the occasional bear..I keep a .410 handy for snake duty when out in my yard, and have dispatched many a rattler and copperhead- the Judge would be a lot more handy than toting around a full-blown shotty.

bmbaker2k5

I carry the BERSA Thunder .380 Concealed Carry model. It's a great gun and very reliable. Compact and easy to carry.
I actually found one of the coolest holsters at a gun show the other day.
Minutemansecurityinc.com
They sell the holster. It's charging how the gun literally disappears but is there when you need it.

Posted from my Samsung EPIC 4G on Nationwide Sprint Network using Tapatalk Pro