• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD, M&P, 24/7, SR-9 or other?

BlueFireIce

Ok, so, kinda new here (howdy), and I am looking to pick up my first carry gun, I have looked around a bit, read allot online and on the forums and the guns listed in the title seem to be the ones that have stood out. Today I went shopping around at some local stores to get a feel for the guns and felt a bit odd after reading some comments on this or that one being "bulky", as I found none of them to be such. However, that might have to do with my size, as I am a bit "bulky" also at 6'4" and about 230, with a hand span of 9.5".

Out of the 3 I had the chance to handle, the 24/7 and the XD felt best in my hands, the M&P I didn't really like the feel, as part of the grip contacted the bone in my thumb in an odd way, nothing bad mind you, but I am a shooter and this gun will see allot of rounds, which had me thinking that after a few clips it might start to get uncomfortable. I did not have the chance to find a SR-9 local, and will be heading back out Monday to hunt one down. And no, sadly I do not have access to be able to fire any of these, so hand fit is about all I get to go off of.

Thoughts on these guns for a first time carry? Or any other suggestions? Over all, I liked these because they are in the 3-400ish range, though if need be I would be willing to stretch to 500ish, if the gun was worth the extra. Also, since I do plan on shooting this gun allot, I would like to have it chambered in 9mm for ammo costs.

The 24/7 was very tempting, from some of the sales I have seen online (270 shipped), but have heard mixed feelings about it.

XDFDE45

Just out of curiosity was it the regular XD or the XDm? I have a XD45 (as you can see by my name :p) and I carry it on a regular basis. Took a little bit to get used to the weight but after awhile you don't think about. The XDm in 9mm has a 19+1 capacity with the interchangeable back straps. I'm looking at the XDm with the 3.8" barrel for carry as well due to ammo cost. But I've found my XD to be a natural point and shoot gun.

BlueFireIce

It was the normal XD, the shop I am going to Monday seems like it will have a far larger selection of guns than the first few small shops I went to, which is why I am open to other suggestions as well, so I will know what I should try on while I am there. I thought the XD did feel natural also in my hand, though so did the 24/7 and as far as feel, I would say were even.

XDFDE45

I know there are others who own and carry Taurus guns so I'm sure they well chime in soon. I was at the gun shop one day and someone was looking at a Taurus, don't remember the model, and he commented that it had a lifetime warranty. Then the clerk said "You're going to need it." That had me a little worried. Now it may have been just that particular model the clerk was talking about but I can't say for sure. My personal feeling and I am little biased here but go for the XD.

Last edited:

irish52084

I'll throw in a vote for the XD. I have had 2 and they are excellent firearms. If you can get and XDm, then I'd say go for it. The XDm has higher capacity and interchangeable back straps.

Michigander

With your size, no ifs ands or buts, if I was you, I would carry a Glock 20 C, and use a drop in .40 barrel for cheap practice. Again, if I was you.

The power of 10mm, price of right around 500 if you shop around, decent placement of controls, and reliability in my opinion over ride all the other reasons why you may want another brand. No other gun on the market reasonably competes with this one.

rotorhead

Ok, so, kinda new here (howdy), and I am looking to pick up my first carry gun, I have looked around a bit, read allot online and on the forums and the guns listed in the title seem to be the ones that have stood out. Today I went shopping around at some local stores to get a feel for the guns and felt a bit odd after reading some comments on this or that one being "bulky", as I found none of them to be such. However, that might have to do with my size, as I am a bit "bulky" also at 6'4" and about 230, with a hand span of 9.5".

Out of the 3 I had the chance to handle, the 24/7 and the XD felt best in my hands, the M&P I didn't really like the feel, as part of the grip contacted the bone in my thumb in an odd way, nothing bad mind you, but I am a shooter and this gun will see allot of rounds, which had me thinking that after a few clips it might start to get uncomfortable. I did not have the chance to find a SR-9 local, and will be heading back out Monday to hunt one down. And no, sadly I do not have access to be able to fire any of these, so hand fit is about all I get to go off of.

Thoughts on these guns for a first time carry? Or any other suggestions? Over all, I liked these because they are in the 3-400ish range, though if need be I would be willing to stretch to 500ish, if the gun was worth the extra. Also, since I do plan on shooting this gun allot, I would like to have it chambered in 9mm for ammo costs.

The 24/7 was very tempting, from some of the sales I have seen online (270 shipped), but have heard mixed feelings about it.

Did you get a chance to change out the backstraps on the M&P at the store? It comes with three different sizes (sm, med, lrg) and you can change them to accommodate the differences in hand sizes.

BlueFireIce

With your size, no ifs ands or buts, if I was you, I would carry a Glock 20 C, and use a drop in .40 barrel for cheap practice. Again, if I was you.

The power of 10mm, price of right around 500 if you shop around, decent placement of controls, and reliability in my opinion over ride all the other reasons why you may want another brand. No other gun on the market reasonably competes with this one.

I had the chance to handle and fire a Glock before (do not recall the model) and it just did not "feel" right in my hands, I was also told that the Glock grip is pretty consistent across its gun lines, is this true? As it's one of the reasons I passed over looking at them.

Did you get a chance to change out the backstraps on the M&P at the store? It comes with three different sizes (sm, med, lrg) and you can change them to accommodate the differences in hand sizes.

No, the store was quite busy and the sales person seemed to kind of ignore me as I do look "young" and I don't think he believed I was going to buy anything. However, I will ask this at the stores I check out Monday if they have them there, thanks for the tip.

Michigander

Gen 4 Glocks have interchangeable back straps. All others can have the stupidly hulking backstraps filled in with a polymer resin type of thing, then sanded to the desired size and shape. You can get directions online to do this yourself rather cheaply, or companies such as Robar can do it for you.

sultan62

Personal experience with the XD and 24/7 and like them both. I own and carry the XD, and my Dad owns the 24/7. There are different things I like about each, and I would be comfortable carrying either.

Heard good things about the M&P, but no personal experience. I don't really know anything at all about the SR-9.

Bottom line, any of them are probably good, so handle them, shoot them if you can, see what you like.

rotorhead

I had the chance to handle and fire a Glock before (do not recall the model) and it just did not "feel" right in my hands, I was also told that the Glock grip is pretty consistent across its gun lines, is this true? As it's one of the reasons I passed over looking at them.

No, the store was quite busy and the sales person seemed to kind of ignore me as I do look "young" and I don't think he believed I was going to buy anything. However, I will ask this at the stores I check out Monday if they have them there, thanks for the tip.

Any dealer should definitely have the extra straps in the case, as all new M&Ps come with them. With a used one it's anyone's guess- depends on how they bought it and in what conditions.

But if it's new, they will have the extra straps, probably in the case.

BlueFireIce

Anyone have anything "bad" to say about the 24/7? Some of the shops I went to today, a few had some really nice deals, and some good enough that I could get two 24/7's for the price of one of the other guns. Which is tempting as my fathers birthday will be coming up soon and I am thinking picking up two and giving him one, as it would be a nice gift.

BlueFireIce

Well...I went for the better deal, under $450 for two guns, kinda hard to beat. After shooting them I feel happy with it, I like the way it shoots and feels right in my hand, already put 200+ rounds (in one day) through my 24/7 without a hitch, dead on at 10 yards or so. Good buy I think, now just to find a holster.

f317e284.jpg

gunman

I wish I had known about that three weeks agothat's less than I paid for my glock 23.guess I better take more time shopping around next time,don't get me wrong I love my glock.

rotorhead

Well...I went for the better deal, under $450 for two guns, kinda hard to beat. After shooting them I feel happy with it, I like the way it shoots and feels right in my hand, already put 200+ rounds (in one day) through my 24/7 without a hitch, dead on at 10 yards or so. Good buy I think, now just to find a holster.

f317e284.jpg

Cool deal, grats.

Have fun killing all that paper!

BTW- Milk jugs have been laughing at you too. I wouldn't take that kind of junk from no milk jug. Make them pay!

Last edited:

BlueFireIce

Cool deal, grats.

Have fun killing all that paper!

BTW- Milk jugs have been laughing at you too. I wouldn't take that kind of junk from no milk jug. Make them pay!

I am sure I will, putting together a shooting day with some friends, getting some targets set up and picked up about 500 rounds of the white box Winchester ammo, its about the best priced cheap plinking stuff I can get local. Now just to find a good defensive round to use...

rotorhead

I am sure I will, putting together a shooting day with some friends, getting some targets set up and picked up about 500 rounds of the white box Winchester ammo, its about the best priced cheap plinking stuff I can get local. Now just to find a good defensive round to use...

I'm sure you'll come to understand just how big the can of worms is you've opened with that last comment in due time lol, but for me I use Winchester's Supreme Elite series Bonded PDX1 in .40 cal. A sweet round, for sure.

Also, pick up some of them fancy targets that Walmart has called Dirty Bird Splatter Targets. You'll love the effect. That's what's in my avatar there, btw.

BlueFireIce

I'm sure you'll come to understand just how big the can of worms is you've opened with that last comment in due time lol, but for me I use Winchester's Supreme Elite series Bonded PDX1 in .40 cal. A sweet round, for sure.

Also, pick up some of them fancy targets that Walmart has called Dirty Bird Splatter Targets. You'll love the effect. That's what's in my avatar there, btw.

Oh, I do, it's the same with rifle rounds or home defense shotshells, everyone knows the ones they use are the "best". Sadly, the ONLY option is seems for me are the PDX1 rounds, as far as premium rounds go, that's about all I see local that's not 40 bucks for 20 rounds. For me, I hold that most of the premium jacketed hollow points are "close enough" I am sure there is a "best" out there, but I doubt if you asked the bad guy which one was which after you shot him he would not be able to tell you. For me, I am looking for a round that will function reliability in the gun. So far though, the gun shows no signs of being picky.

I will also check the targets out at walmart, though most of my hunting supplies are bought online (other than ammo).

BlueFireIce

Ok...Maybe it's just me being anal...But for a round I am supposed to depend my life on and pay over a buck a round for, these rounds are really dirty, all kinda crap around the primer, some of them had so much that it protruded past the base of the case, it sure does not inspire confidence. Note that I do not have a macro lens, and as such does not show fully and looks far worse in person.

rotorhead, do your PDX1's look like this? For a "premium" round, I expected better QC.

3852f105.jpg

dfe660a1.jpg

BlueFireIce

And the plot thickens...I am now fully sure I will not be using this round as a carry round, as the QC seems to be atrocious. After thinking about how dirty the rounds were, I thought I would inspect for any other "small" defects, well, I found defects, but surely not small. anyone have the contact info or e-mail address for Winchester ammo? Their site gives me a 404 for the contact page.

IMG_7849.jpg

Last edited: