• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Onalaska Wisconsin Police telling lies,

JJC

Attended a Brithday party for my granddaughter last night. ( was held at a local bowling alley). Being "law abiding" I called and inquired about being allowed to OC. The Manager stated "they didn't have a sign against it but they didn't think it would be a good thing". I responded not a problem.

Thinking that I would talk to the manager when I got there, I proceeded to attend the party.

I walked in the door and sat down with the party group. Shortly after I sat down, I was approched by the manager who asked if I was the one that called. (replied, yes I was the one that called).

"Manager" thanked me for calling saying that they never had anybody make a request like that before. "manager" said that after my call they called the Onalaska police to inquire if my request was legal. Onalaska police stated to "manager" that OC'ing in the bowling alley was against the law due to their Class B liquor license.

I asked the "manager" if they had a little time to discuss this situation. Said Yes. I informed "manager" that OCing is in fact legal with the "managers" permission, and that the Onalaska police didn't tell the truth. I had a good talk with the "Manager" about OC'ing, and carrying in general and that in the near future Wisconsin will be passing a law allowing people to carry for "self defense" if they so choose.

"Manager" thanked me for explaining all this, and welcomed me back anytime.

With that I gave "Manager" one of my cards and invited her to take one of my Firearm classes at no charge.
(I was out of OC pamplets - having given them all away at my last class).

Other than Onalaska Police lies, the night was pleasant and informative for all involved.

JJC

anmut

I dont think id accuse them of 'lieing'...maybe the manager didnt hear part of it..or maybe the LEO didnt tell him all of it...'lieing' implies intent of the individual.

I'd say that if the police left out a part of the law as they explained it to further their agenda of power, then it's a lie.

JJC

The "Manager" told me that the Police were called to inquire if the carrying of a weapon at the Bowling alley was legal. The "Manager" wasn't sure of the LAW, but the POLICE should be.

I was raised to tell the "whole" truth. Leaving out part of the answer is deception.

"Lieing" is the only way to explain the police message to the manager. I talked with the "Manager" in length, and the message that came through (from the police) was OC'ing was not allowed because the state law forbid it due to the sale of "Liquor" at the establishment. The Manager was quite positive that was the "police" message and repeated it to me several times. The manager thanked me for making the whole thing clear.

The way I feel the encounter went, Is misinformation by the Onalaska Police was brought out into the light of day. It was not a good day for the Onalaska Police in the eyes of the NOW informed public.

I guess the only thing clear here is: The Onalaska Police department have their own agenda.

After all, if you can't trust the police..... who can one trust.

JJC

Last edited:

Serpent

I OC frequently in Onalaska at a place where I just have the manager on duty sign off on one of the "permission slips" from the WCI website. Never have had any issues. Of course I never drink when I OC there.

MKEgal

police & city contact info

Chief Jeffrey Trotnic
Police Dep't.
415 Main St.
Onalaska, WI
Phone: (608) 781-9550
Administrative Offices: (608) 781-9529
Fax: (608) 781-9556
email: jtrotnic@cityofonalaska.com

City Hall is the same address
Phone: 608-781-9530
Fax: 608-781-9534

Mayor Mike Giese
1206 Greenridge Dr
Onalaska, WI 54650
City: (608) 781-9530
Home: (608) 781-8195
mgiese@cityofonalaska.com

Suggest that if the Police don't know the laws, they shouldn't be providing legal advice... or trying to enforce them! And, oh by the way, here's a link to the actual law, and here's what it really says, so they'll know better next time.

ETA:
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/Stat0941.pdf

941.237(2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class B... license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to any of the following:
(g) the posession or use of a handgun on the premises if authorized for a specific event of limited duration by the owner or manager of the premises who is issued the Class B... license or permit...

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Attended a Brithday party for my granddaughter last night. ( was held at a local bowling alley). Being "law abiding" I called and inquired about being allowed to OC. The Manager stated "they didn't have a sign against it but they didn't think it would be a good thing". I responded not a problem.

Thinking that I would talk to the manager when I got there, I proceeded to attend the party.

I walked in the door and sat down with the party group. Shortly after I sat down, I was approched by the manager who asked if I was the one that called. (replied, yes I was the one that called).

"Manager" thanked me for calling saying that they never had anybody make a request like that before. "manager" said that after my call they called the Onalaska police to inquire if my request was legal. Onalaska police stated to "manager" that OC'ing in the bowling alley was against the law due to their Class B liquor license.

I asked the "manager" if they had a little time to discuss this situation. Said Yes. I informed "manager" that OCing is in fact legal with the "managers" permission, and that the Onalaska police didn't tell the truth. I had a good talk with the "Manager" about OC'ing, and carrying in general and that in the near future Wisconsin will be passing a law allowing people to carry for "self defense" if they so choose.

"Manager" thanked me for explaining all this, and welcomed me back anytime.

With that I gave "Manager" one of my cards and invited her to take one of my Firearm classes at no charge.
(I was out of OC pamplets - having given them all away at my last class).

Other than Onalaska Police lies, the night was pleasant and informative for all involved.

JJC

I have found that people seem to forget to read the exceptions. Same exact thing happened in Elkhorn. I worked with the to change their local ordinances to comply with state law. They got most of it right except their ordinance doesn't give the class-b establishment the 'right' to grant permission. I kept pointing it out but they passed it anyway. I still can't get the city attorney to agree with me. He keeps saying their ordinance meets state law.

So... If an Elkhorn bartender asked the Elkhorn PD and the Elkhorn PD quoted Elkhorn ordinance, they wouldn't be lying, they would all be mis-informed.

hardballer

I'd say that if the police left out a part of the law as they explained it to further their agenda of power, then it's a lie.
Without question!!!

The "Manager" told me that the Police were called to inquire if the carrying of a weapon at the Bowling alley was legal. The "Manager" wasn't sure of the LAW, but the POLICE should be.

I was raised to tell the "whole" truth. Leaving out part of the answer is deception.

"Lieing" is the only way to explain the police message to the manager. I talked with the "Manager" in length, and the message that came through (from the police) was OC'ing was not allowed because the state law forbid it due to the sale of "Liquor" at the establishment. The Manager was quite positive that was the "police" message and repeated it to me several times. The manager thanked me for making the whole thing clear.

The way I feel the encounter went, Is misinformation by the Onalaska Police was brought out into the light of day. It was not a good day for the Onalaska Police in the eyes of the NOW informed public.

I guess the only thing clear here is: The Onalaska Police department have their own agenda.

After all, if you can't trust the police..... who can one trust.

JJC
Again they lied!!!

the police are idiots.............don't talk to the cops!
EVER!

JJC - Hats off to you once again.
+1

From my own perspective, I have had the misfortune experiencing what I perceive to be dishonest cops in the Buffalo County Sheriff's Dept. and the Fountain City Police Dept. Liars. A police report by me but the words were not spoken by me and in the other case, a complete deviation from what really happened. There is more but not for publication.

Before this happened to me, I thought that 'they' were just trying to do their job. Thought I could actually trust them. Not true. Not anymore. It only took 40 some years for me to realize they are not to be trusted. Prejudice against Open Carriers is not unusual but the norm in many places. If an opportunity to screw with you arises, you can bet they will take full advantage... In Wisconsin, they are the 'Us & Them' group.

This permeates the system. A judge, while sitting on the bench, told me that my open carry (the mere fact that I open carry) caused an individual to verbally assault me and threaten my life. In the same judgement, he told me that a verbal threat to harm or kill me was protected under the first amendment. I guess it didn't fall under the terroristic threats law...

This is not going to change until someone wins a huge lawsuit and makes it clear that this can not continue. They must respect our right to bear arms. They are not our friends.

Last edited:

JJC

without question!!!

Again they lied!!!

Ever!

+1

from my own perspective, i have had the misfortune experiencing what i perceive to be dishonest cops in the buffalo county sheriff's dept. And the fountain city police dept. Liars. A police report by me but the words were not spoken by me and in the other case, a complete deviation from what really happened. There is more but not for publication.

Before this happened to me, i thought that 'they' were just trying to do their job. Thought i could actually trust them. Not true. Not anymore. It only took 40 some years for me to realize they are not to be trusted. Prejudice against open carriers is not unusual but the norm in many places. If an opportunity to screw with you arises, you can bet they will take full advantage... In wisconsin, they are the 'us & them' group.

This permeates the system. A judge, while sitting on the bench, told me that my open carry (the mere fact that i open carry) caused an individual to verbally assault me and threaten my life. In the same judgement, he told me that a verbal threat to harm or kill me was protected under the first amendment. I guess it didn't fall under the terroristic threats law...

This is not going to change until someone wins a huge lawsuit and makes it clear that this can not continue. They must respect our right to bear arms. They are not our friends.

+1000

jjc

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
It only took 40 some years for me to realize they are not to be trusted.

It only took 40 some years for me to realize they are not to be trusted. Prejudice against Open Carriers is not unusual but the norm in many places. If an opportunity to screw with you arises, you can bet they will take full advantage... In Wisconsin, they are the 'Us & Them' group.

I feel for you, Luckily I learned at a very young age to question all authoritative figures. With the advent of small relatively affordable digital recording devices, the truth is being told on news reports more and more around the world.

Lets look at one of the first things Egypt did when civil protests started, they shut down the Internet and all lines of communication. I recording device is the 2nd biggest enemy of tyrannical governments. We already know what the first items is!

A few of my most favored quotes from one of our founding fathers;
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson

hardballer

I feel for you, Luckily I learned at a very young age to question all authoritative figures. With the advent of small relatively affordable digital recording devices, the truth is being told on news reports more and more around the world.

Lets look at one of the first things Egypt did when civil protests started, they shut down the Internet and all lines of communication. I recording device is the 2nd biggest enemy of tyrannical governments. We already know what the first items is!

A few of my most favored quotes from one of our founding fathers;
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson

Yup!

MKEgal

Just sent an email to the Mayor & Chief, politely suggesting that perhaps a little training is needed, esp. since the laws regarding carriage of firearms by citizens will be changing & it's important to keep up to date.

We'll see if anything comes of it.