Thread: AP - Oklahoma set to become Gold Star Open Carry State

Moderator / Administrator

AP - Oklahoma set to become Gold Star Open Carry State

This will be quite a move - direct from banning open carry generally, to allowing open carry without a permit at age 18!

http://www.necn.com/02/06/11/With-ga...6068999ee0974b

SNIP

Bills already have been filed to allow any Oklahoman 18 years or older to openly carry a firearm and to allow individuals with a concealed carry permit to bring weapons onto college campuses.

Democratic Gov. Brad Henry vetoed the open carry bill last year, but Fallin has said she supports the concept.

And just after that:

And while she has yet to see any specific bill, Fallin expressed some reservations Friday about a proposal to allow students to bring guns onto college and university campuses. She said law enforcement officials and college presidents have opposed the idea.

"I'm concerned that they've expressed concerns about having students on campuses with guns," Fallin said. "My No. 1 concern is safety on campuses."

---

I don't see open carry being allowed to 18+ w/out permit... and I have an even harder time seeing firearms allowed on campuses. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's too far of a jump from where we are right now, to what some bills are proposing.

Open carry with 18+ I'm okay with, but with a permit... or at the very least a gun safety course.

I'd love to see open carry for CCW permit holders. Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow!

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirge View Post
    And just after that:

I don't see open carry being allowed to 18+ w/out permit... and I have an even harder time seeing firearms allowed on campuses. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's too far of a jump from where we are right now, to what some bills are proposing.

Open carry with 18+ I'm okay with, but with a permit... or at the very least a gun safety course.
    So you believe Oklahoma residents are LESS trustworthy than the residents of MOST states which allow open carry at age 18 without permit?? Any facts to back this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    So you believe Oklahoma residents are LESS trustworthy than the residents of MOST states which allow open carry at age 18 without permit?? Any facts to back this up?
    Don't get your panties in a bunch. All I said was that it was too far of a leap forward and I don't see it passing. And FACTS? On whether people are less trustworthy or not? Nah.. I'll pass on being trolled. Thanks.

And FWIW, I *live* in Oklahoma... not Virginia.
    Last edited by Mirge; 02-06-2011 at 03:44 PM.

I sure hope we can get the open carry bill passed and the college carry bill passed. Im all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MM_45 View Post
    I sure hope we can get the open carry bill passed and the college carry bill passed. Im all for it.
    Absolutely, me too. Wife isn't so much for carrying on campuses, but I just don't see why not.

Absolutely, me too. Wife isn't so much for carrying on campuses, but I just don't see why not.
    Yeah I dont see why not either. The less gun free zones we have the better since the criminals wont be the only people with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by MM_45 View Post
    Yeah I dont see why not either. The less gun free zones we have the better since the criminals wont be the only people with guns.
    Couldn't agree more!

contact your legislators

It is good to spend time on line keeping up with what is going on, but you need to branch out and actually contact your legislators. Call or email, but contact them. Keep it brief, to the point, polite, and specific.
    http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/
    This is the link to the legislatures home page. You can find your representative, get contact information, track bills and voting records, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oklaccer View Post
    It is good to spend time on line keeping up with what is going on, but you need to branch out and actually contact your legislators. Call or email, but contact them. Keep it brief, to the point, polite, and specific.
    http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/
    This is the link to the legislatures home page. You can find your representative, get contact information, track bills and voting records, etc.
    Not only this, but if your legislators are not part of the committee hearing the bill, feel free to contact the members of the committee as well and let them know how you feel.

If a bill fails to pass committee it will never be brought to the floor for your legislators to vote on.

Open/Campus Carry

Couldn't agree more!
    I support you guys and hope the legislation passess; perhaps it will move across the States (as laws normally do). In Ohio, we're still fighting for parking lot carry.

We'll keep an eye out. KUDOS!!

I've already contacted several reps plus I've had detailed talks with every gun hugger I work with and they all intend to send an email or call. Its nice as I do work with some hard core gun huggers. OC is the biggest thing I miss about not living in VA anymore.

bull frog is jumping

Liberty has been stolen from Oklahomans by the govt in 1971 with a firearms act that banned the bearing of arms. We know freedom of speech is under attack. The way to boil a bullfrog is slowly turning up the heat 1 degree at a time until it is too late and the frog dies. This is exactly how our rights have been eroded away. If we allow big brother to steal any portion of our guaranteed Rights which were God granted, founder approved and confirmed by the US Supreme Court then govt will surely, as day follows night,find a way to repeal or deny us our other rights. They might then come back and tax. Us in order to restore those same rights. How about Amendment XV? Who would like to pay for the right to vote. Who would like the 4th to go away and big brother just break into anyones home without cause without a warrant? What about the 5th amendment? How about one day when there are enough elected muslins for them to attack freedom of religion? Right is right no matter who says otherwise. We either support the Constitution in total or we trash it. I took an oath many times in my life to support and defend the US Constitution. We must must fight now to restore all lost rights and send a very clear message that we Americans won't put up with this nonsense anymore. For if we allow them to take away our 2nd amendment rights we will surely lose the rest of them much faster
    Last edited by AmericanBob; 03-16-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: mispellings