• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In a tough spot..

Gunslinger

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone.

I don't have a paypal account, but my wife does. I've contacted several agencies, and some have been known to help out, but most of them said they are all booked for this month, and that I'll have to check back in the beginning of March. Hell, even something like $100.00 would greatly help. I just can't stand the fact that I'm so far behind on my Puget Sound Energy bill that I'm always getting the "letter of disconnection" prior to me making a payment for the furthest-back due amount.

Still waiting to hear back from a few local non profit organizations and churches.

I'm not sure about WA, but most states will not allow utilities to shut off in the winter. This would be gas and electric, not phones, trash, etc. Suggest you talk to them ASAP.

Aaron1124

Puget Sound Energy only has an emergency medical waiver that you can file. It might not sound like a lot, but I'm really only about $200-$300 behind on my primary utilities. I'm paying the furthest back to avoid disconnection, but I'm constantly getting notices.

Ruby

Aaron, I don't know how to use paypal or if I have to set up an account to send money to yours, but I will find out tomorrow. I can't send much, but I can help a little. And I don't want it back; just pay it forward and help someone else when you are in a better situation.

Ruby

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone.

I don't have a paypal account, but my wife does. I've contacted several agencies, and some have been known to help out, but most of them said they are all booked for this month, and that I'll have to check back in the beginning of March. Hell, even something like $100.00 would greatly help. I just can't stand the fact that I'm so far behind on my Puget Sound Energy bill that I'm always getting the "letter of disconnection" prior to me making a payment for the furthest-back due amount.

Still waiting to hear back from a few local non profit organizations and churches.

Yes, it's tougher than ever for the charities as well. Fewer donations and many more people to help.

If I didn't have my house cleaning business I would have NO income at all, and it's not enough now. I believe I will find another part time job and that will make things much easier. Long term, I think the economy will get better, but I don't think it will ever go back to where it was before the financial crisis. Short term, I think this is the new "normal." But it also has a beneficial side, if you will, as long as people are not having to go without the necessities. With less money to spend for entertainment, meals out, etc. families can spend more time together as families instead of everyone going their separate ways. They can eat at home, together. They can watch movies, play games, etc. at home, together as a family. I'm not saying people don't do that now, but with less to spend, more time together would be possible. Tough times tend to bring out our values and character. Hang in there, and God bless.

4armed Architect

My wife's paypal email address is Evergreengliders@hotmail.com

Any donations are greatly appreciated, and I can eventually pay everyone back for any donations sent.

Very small gift sent. No payback needed. Times are very tough.

Try supplementing your income by selling things on Ebay/Craigslist. Go to garage sales, swap meets, rummage sales, estate sales. Research the value of things sold on Ebay/Craiglist. Armed with accurate resell valuations, seek out great deals and then resell for some profit. You won't get rich, but, if you are careful in your purchases, you can make a few dollars.

I have found church rummage sales and estate sales to be the best places to get good buys. If you have special knowledge in something (car parts, vintage signs, musical instruments, glassware, etc.) it helps - buy/resell things you have some knowledge about. Also, like a treasure hunt, it is fun.

Sometimes you get lucky. Picked up a Cool-O-Matic 1940's evaporative car cooler at a garage sale for $10 - sold it on Ebay for over $400. Found a Rogers Blue Oynx bass drum by the side of the road out with someone's trash. Picked it up, sold it for over $150. Keep your eyes peeled when people are moving. They often leave behind, in the trash, some items which can be re-sold.

Good luck.

Aaron1124

Very small gift sent. No payback needed. Times are very tough.

Try supplementing your income by selling things on Ebay/Craigslist. Go to garage sales, swap meets, rummage sales, estate sales. Research the value of things sold on Ebay/Craiglist. Armed with accurate resell valuations, seek out great deals and then resell for some profit. You won't get rich, but, if you are careful in your purchases, you can make a few dollars.

I have found church rummage sales and estate sales to be the best places to get good buys. If you have special knowledge in something (car parts, vintage signs, musical instruments, glassware, etc.) it helps - buy/resell things you have some knowledge about. Also, like a treasure hunt, it is fun.

Sometimes you get lucky. Picked up a Cool-O-Matic 1940's evaporative car cooler at a garage sale for $10 - sold it on Ebay for over $400. Found a Rogers Blue Oynx bass drum by the side of the road out with someone's trash. Picked it up, sold it for over $150. Keep your eyes peeled when people are moving. They often leave behind, in the trash, some items which can be re-sold.

Good luck.

When I made this thread, I was honestly not expecting or even anticipating in my mind, any donations. I greatly appreciate your help and advice. I currently have a few items listed in Craigslist right now. Unfortunately, when I started my new job, it was just a little too late, but to be honest, there's nothing truly unfortunate about it. I am fortunate to have even found the job. That's the best way to look at it. That can help me have some peace of mind knowing that I will not continue to fall even further behind than I already am. My wife is a stay at home mom, so the extra pressure is there to insure that they're well taken care of.

Thanks again for your help.

Aaron1124

Yes, it's tougher than ever for the charities as well. Fewer donations and many more people to help.

If I didn't have my house cleaning business I would have NO income at all, and it's not enough now. I believe I will find another part time job and that will make things much easier. Long term, I think the economy will get better, but I don't think it will ever go back to where it was before the financial crisis. Short term, I think this is the new "normal." But it also has a beneficial side, if you will, as long as people are not having to go without the necessities. With less money to spend for entertainment, meals out, etc. families can spend more time together as families instead of everyone going their separate ways. They can eat at home, together. They can watch movies, play games, etc. at home, together as a family. I'm not saying people don't do that now, but with less to spend, more time together would be possible. Tough times tend to bring out our values and character. Hang in there, and God bless.

I definitely agree. This economy surely feels to be the new "normal". It's quite amazing what an extra, supplemental part time job can really do. Even if for 10-15 hours a week. I have considered finding a temporary part-time job as well. Considering my current job is a Monday-Friday, 8:30-5:00 PM job, it shouldn't be too difficult. I also need to balance out my work time with time spent at home, considering my wife is a stay at home mom, and babysits three other kids throughout the day, so she's kept on her feet.

I definitely don't express the stress of the financial problems. Like many have said, I understand this is a temporary set-back, and will not be a permanent. I refuse to show any signs of stress or sorrow. Reason being: it doesn't help. It makes things worse. I simply sit back and remember the last time I was around someone in such a sad, sorrow and stressed out state of mind. He was completely unnerving to be around, and the atmosphere of the environment completely set the mood for a feeling of dread. That certainly didn't help HIM feel any better, nor improve his situation, and it sunk everyone in his presence down with him.

I can tell ya, the mind is certainly a powerful tool. If projected in the right direction, with the right sense of positivity, you'll find yourself in a better situation much faster.

Again, thanks for the words of support.

HeroHog

We just found out we ARE getting my Social Security Disability!!! Looks like our tough spot is finally easing up! Now maybe I can help you out a little!

MKEgal

Here are 2 sites which discuss heating assistance (LIHEAP - low income home energy assistance program). With the economy, lots of people are getting help so the amount they give is lower than in past years, but it's still something! And especially if you're getting shutoff notices, they will help.

http://www.liheapwa.org/
Includes things like "am I eligible" & "what do I need to apply" & "where do I apply".
For a 3-person household, the max. monthly income (they look at the last 3 months) is $1907.
Usually, the agencies that administer LIHEAP also handle other public service / aid type things, so would be good to ask about other help (like food stamps).

http://www.commerce.wa.gov/site/292/default.aspx
Includes links to other services, which can be a bit "governmental" to wade through.

Here's a food bank locator:
http://www.commerce.wa.gov/maps/
There are more than 50 listed for King County.
Some can even help you with applying for food stamps.

Hey - even if this is short-term, TAKE THE HELP!!!!
That's what it's there for.
Eventually you'll be paying taxes again & helping other people.

Last edited:

Aaron1124

Thanks for the links. You may not have noticed in my original post, but I found a job a couple of weeks ago. Basically, I am in a position to where I won't get any further behind, but for as far back I am currently, I am just hanging on by a thread to avoid disconnections and evictions due to non payment on my water, garbage and sewer. When I get paid, I'm able to afford the furthest back-owed payment.

sudden valley gunner

Aaron, go to Opportunity Council, immediately, they will help out. They helped me out last year when I had zero dollars, zero heat, and the temp was 17. And they don't treat you like crap like the state agencies do.