Thread: Pikes Peak Library District signs

Angry Pikes Peak Library District signs

I just got back from dropping off something at my local branch of the Pike's Peak Library District. There by the door is a new sign stating "Open display / carry of firearms and other weapons is prohibited in all PPLD facilities"

I've OC'd in my neighborhood library countless times .... but this sign is new!

Let's coddle terrorist organizations and every left wing group that raises the least little stink but God forbid they should be protected from being offended by the sight of my legally carried sidearm lest it damage their tender widdle thenthibilities!
    Last edited by RockyMtnScotsman; 02-06-2011 at 05:25 PM.

And the sign there is enforcable. They cannot restrict concealed carry, but they can with open. Same sign has been in place at Salida Library for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    And the sign there is enforcable. They cannot restrict concealed carry, but they can with open. Same sign has been in place at Salida Library for years.
    The wording sounds like any type of carry is prohibited.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
    ... is a new sign stating "Open display / carry of firearms and other weapons is prohibited in all PPLD facilities"
    Sounds like only open to me... but just because they cant regulate concealed doesn't mean they can't try. There have been many places that just hang up the signs and expect people not to question it.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    The wording sounds like any type of carry is prohibited.
    the first word on the sign is "open", so it's pretty clear they're targetting OC

the first word on the sign is "open", so it's pretty clear they're targetting OC
    As I said, it seems to be saying "open and/or carrying."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

"Open display / carry of firearms and other weapons is prohibited in all PPLD facilities"
    Even if it should be read as "Open display and/or carry of firearms..."
    Which could be read "Open display of firearms...." or as "Open carry of firearms..."
    It still says open. It still says nothing about concealed.

Such as "Open display and/or concealed carry of..."

The wording of the sign is irrelevant.

Colorado Revised Statute 29-11.7-104 allows local governments to prohibit open carry within a public space with any kind of sign, if posted at all entrances to the space (Denver, the only exception, prohibits open carry everywhere with no signs, including of course any public space in Denver).

Colorado Revised Statute 18-12-214.b allows local governments to prohibit concealed carry in a public space only if all entrances have electronic screening (like metal detectors) and guards. The only other places defined as prohibited from concealed carry in 18-12-214.b are K-12 schools.

Any private property owner can prohibit all firearms.
    Last edited by Anubis; 02-08-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Any private property owner can prohibit all firearms.
    But only through trespass laws...Right?

Yes. For example, if you carry concealed into a business which is posted no-carry, and you are somehow discovered to be carrying, you can simply leave the premises to avoid being charged with trespass. CRS 18-12-214(5) states "Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity", so there is no specific prescribed statutory penalty for violation of a no-carry sign.