• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pikes Peak Library District signs

RockyMtnScotsman

I just got back from dropping off something at my local branch of the Pike's Peak Library District. There by the door is a new sign stating "Open display / carry of firearms and other weapons is prohibited in all PPLD facilities"

I've OC'd in my neighborhood library countless times .... but this sign is new!

Let's coddle terrorist organizations and every left wing group that raises the least little stink but God forbid they should be protected from being offended by the sight of my legally carried sidearm lest it damage their tender widdle thenthibilities!

Last edited:

JamesB

And the sign there is enforcable. They cannot restrict concealed carry, but they can with open. Same sign has been in place at Salida Library for years.

protias

And the sign there is enforcable. They cannot restrict concealed carry, but they can with open. Same sign has been in place at Salida Library for years.
The wording sounds like any type of carry is prohibited. :confused:

JamesB

... is a new sign stating "Open display / carry of firearms and other weapons is prohibited in all PPLD facilities"

Sounds like only open to me... but just because they cant regulate concealed doesn't mean they can't try. There have been many places that just hang up the signs and expect people not to question it.

JamesB

"Open display / carry of firearms and other weapons is prohibited in all PPLD facilities"

Even if it should be read as "Open display and/or carry of firearms..."
Which could be read "Open display of firearms...." or as "Open carry of firearms..."
It still says open. It still says nothing about concealed.

Such as "Open display and/or concealed carry of..."

Anubis

The wording of the sign is irrelevant.

Colorado Revised Statute 29-11.7-104 allows local governments to prohibit open carry within a public space with any kind of sign, if posted at all entrances to the space (Denver, the only exception, prohibits open carry everywhere with no signs, including of course any public space in Denver).

Colorado Revised Statute 18-12-214.b allows local governments to prohibit concealed carry in a public space only if all entrances have electronic screening (like metal detectors) and guards. The only other places defined as prohibited from concealed carry in 18-12-214.b are K-12 schools.

Any private property owner can prohibit all firearms.

Last edited:

Anubis

Yes. For example, if you carry concealed into a business which is posted no-carry, and you are somehow discovered to be carrying, you can simply leave the premises to avoid being charged with trespass. CRS 18-12-214(5) states "Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity", so there is no specific prescribed statutory penalty for violation of a no-carry sign.