• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you can't get our National Anthem right don't sing it!

eye95

I agree. Nothing sickens me more than someone "styling" the National Anthem.

Just belt it out the way it was written.

Nevada carrier

As disrespectful as Christina Aguilera's performance was this afternoon, it was by far not the worst attempt at our National Nnthem. I would put it at the third worst performance. I would have to rank the all time worst would be Roseanne's at the all time worst, followed by Stephen Tyler's Indianapolis 500 performance at number 2. Both Tyler and Roseanne deliberately butchered it, and that is a far greater offence to me than just omitting a verse.

Also many of you probably saw the 13 year old girl who performed the National Anthem at an LA Clippers game on Tosh.0 recently, but I can't be to harsh on a 13 year old who doesn't regularly perform in front of thousands of people. Though to be fair, it was an LA clippers game so in her case, dozens of people.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, I can't get too worked up over it. No more than any other butchered song. The singer does need to satisfy the crowd for enjoyment's sake of the crowd who paid for a ticket.

But, I just don't find it offensive beyond that. Why should I be offended if someone else accords less respect to a song than I would? It seems to me I'm just asking to be offended sooner or later, because sooner or later somebody is gonna give it less.

Would I be happier if a singer belted it out in all its glory? Sure. Of course. On the other hand, I'm only mildly disappointed when it is altered. And, then only because I couldn't enjoy it as much.

Nevada carrier

... it should be a crime if you intensely butcher it.

I have to disagree, as distasteful as it is to deliberately butcher our National Anthem, it is in the public domain, and its reproduction and public performance is protected by the first amendment. We can't make it a crime to butcher it, any more than we can make it a crime to burn the American Flag. People who burn flags for "light and transient" causes repulse me, but it's protected by our most sacred document.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Oh, I can't get too worked up over it. No more than any other butchered song. The singer does need to satisfy the crowd for enjoyment's sake of the crowd who paid for a ticket.

But, I just don't find it offensive beyond that. Why should I be offended if someone else accords less respect to a song than I would? It seems to me I'm just asking to be offended sooner or later, because sooner or later somebody is gonna give it less.

Would I be happier if a singer belted it out in all its glory? Sure. Of course. On the other hand, I'm only mildly disappointed when it is altered. And, then only because I couldn't enjoy it as much.

It's just another aspect of the coarsening of society, where more and more things become "acceptable" or tolerated, and fewer things create opprobrium on the part of the general public. IMHO, the more we "tolerate" what would have been unacceptable to society in the past, the less we value what has made the U.S. a special place to be.

I shudder to see people poorly dressed when in public, or using language in public that would make a sailor blush .... and not thinking there's anything wrong with that. Why has our "sense of proper" diminished so dramatically?

Being "only mildly disappointed" when our National Anthem is butchered is just another aspect of the attitude that "anything goes." No, it should not be a crime ... but I will not hold my breath until Aguilera apologizes for dis-respecting the Anthem.

Nevada carrier

It may be an unjust characterization, but I am often left with the impression that some folks are playing at patriotism.

By "playing at" are you suggesting that some people are being disingenuous? I don't sense that at all, though i do believe that the patriotism of some runs deeper than others.

CenTex

What did she do? Didn't get a chance to hear her last night.

ttp://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/christina-aguilera-star-spangled-banner/c87da2b447a0e902f785c87da2b447a0e902f785-427292229767?q=youtube%20Christina%20Aguilera%20national%20anthem

CenTex

I've never cared for singers of any genre who bring attention to themselves rather than to the words of the songs they are singing.

They should have had this young lady play the National Anthem at the game. You have to see and listen to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofmosyzS3MM

Last edited:

Deanimator

I watched Puppy Bowl VII on Animal Planet, then a documentary about primate behavior. After that, I finished reading the chapter on electrical issues in my A+ course.

If you'd read a book, you wouldn't be upset and you'd be wiser for it.

CenTex

I watched Puppy Bowl VII on Animal Planet, then a documentary about primate behavior. After that, I finished reading the chapter on electrical issues in my A+ course...

I have four degrees, including a doctorate, and I have not once come across a course called A+. It must be in a field of study I've not heard of.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I agree. Nothing sickens me more than someone "styling" the National Anthem.

Just belt it out the way it was written.

Sometimes even good folks make last minute modifications. Check out a couple of heroes doing the nation proud:
[video=youtube;dNEUekIPrmU]http://www.youtube.com/embed/dNEUekIPrmU7[/video]

[video=youtube;SQadpeTVFFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQadpeTVFFQ[/video]

UglyGun

As disrespectful as Christina Aguilera's performance was this afternoon, it was by far not the worst attempt at our National Nnthem. I would put it at the third worst performance. I would have to rank the all time worst would be Roseanne's at the all time worst, followed by Stephen Tyler's Indianapolis 500 performance at number 2. Both Tyler and Roseanne deliberately butchered it, and that is a far greater offence to me than just omitting a verse.

Ladies and gentleman, prepare to be disgusted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkhbpeL-8sY
[video=youtube;SkhbpeL-8sY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkhbpeL-8sY[/video]

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Being "only mildly disappointed" when our National Anthem is butchered is just another aspect of the attitude that "anything goes."

Good lord! That's first time I've ever been accused of that!

Jeez, I woulda thought a singer has the liberty to render her art how she likes. If I just have to hear it sung my favorite way, I can always call it up on YouTube or get a CD and play it while the artist on TV "lip syncs" to my favorite version.

Oh, well. I guess I'll have to become more intolerant and less inclined toward individual liberty. Can't have these accusations attaching to me.

:)