• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aluminum Removal?

stainless1911

Banned
I got a scratch on a black rifle, it bumped up against a piece of aluminum, how do I remove it? Its a surface scratch, its plain to see the little flecks of aluminum on the surface under magnification. I know its not handgun OC, but we are gun people. Thanks.

TheQ

I take light scratches and miscellaneous metals off of my car with varying rubbing compounds. Compounds are like liquid sand paper, they come with different grittiness. Start soft, move to more course if it doesn't get the job done. Finish up with soft stuff to remove scratches the harder stuff left.

If the main surface has a coating, rubbing compound could damage it or remove it. Always use a rubbing compound in an inconspicuous area that won't be a problem if it is damaged first.

The harder you press with a compound, the more it will be abrasive. The courser the compound the more it'll be abrasive.

I use various compounds to remove scratches (and paint rub) from the finish of my car.

Please -- BE CAREFUL BE CAREFUL BE CAREFUL.

ETA: 3M makes a variety of rubbing compounds of different grits. Look where automotive detailing supplies are sold. In Lansing a place called Johnson Michigan Automotive sells a variety of compounds. Meijers will sell some in the automotive section, but the variety will be thin.

Last edited:

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
I got a scratch on a black rifle, it bumped up against a piece of aluminum, how do I remove it? Its a surface scratch, its plain to see the little flecks of aluminum on the surface under magnification. I know its not handgun OC, but we are gun people. Thanks.

If it's not OC related it should definitely be in General Discussion I suppose. Good luck on the scratch, Q seems to have a good idea on that.