• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Texas (introduction)

ken243

Hello all,
I just wanted to drop a line in here to say "Hi". I am moving to the Arlington/Mansfield area near July 1st from Michigan. I have been lurking in here for a while and reading up on Texas gun laws. I figured before the "new guy" replied to any posts I would introduce myself.

I am currently working in Afghanistan as a Paramedic contractor. I have been a long time 2A advocate. I look forward to a possible OC law comming to Texas. I know OC in Michigan has gone pretty well with some negative media attention here and there. That is coupled with some LEO that just do not know the laws.

Aside from the information I have already gathered, if anyone has some links to resources on gun laws in Texas and getting a CHP (and for which state) please feel free to share. It would be greatly appreciated. As I have read so far it seems the laws in Texas are written by a lawyer that barely passed the BAR. There are many grey areas and $14,000 questions. (That being it will cost $14,000 in legal fees) Please do not take that in a negative manner towards Texas. The 4 days I spent in the DFW area were better than the 25+ years I have been in Michigan.

y'all have a good one.
Ken

Last edited:

pooley

You're gonna love Texas in July! Honestly though, if you make it through the first summer you'll love it here

usamarshal

Shoot...winters aren't much better...I'm in property claims and the idiot builders in Texas don't insulate jack, so now I have a boat load water line freeze up's that could have been prevented with some r18!!! :banghead:

MR Redenck

Here's a good link to look at the Texas law's, and yes I agree they suck!
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/?link=PE
While your at it, go ahead and joing the organization made for Texans by Texans, http://www.lonestarcdl.org/. Lot's of stuff happening in the 82nd legislature and pretty soon some announcement will be made that will " please " a lot of people around here.
Thank you for your service in Afghanistan and welcome to Texas.
Oh BTW, Texas is lot different than Michigan in July, out west we dont have those pesty knats!!

ken243

Thanks for the information. I was in Texas in June and it was 101 outside. But you don't have the humidity we have in Michigan so it felt great! When it hits 100 in Michigan with 95% humidity.... That is bad! I think 110 sounds good after a summer here with 125-130 degrees plus. Thanks again!

rodbender

Thanks for the information. I was in Texas in June and it was 101 outside. But you don't have the humidity we have in Michigan so it felt great! When it hits 100 in Michigan with 95% humidity.... That is bad! I think 110 sounds good after a summer here with 125-130 degrees plus. Thanks again!

Wait till it's 110 with 98% humidity. You'll love that. You'll start sweating when you look at the door to go outside.

mark-in-texas

There's a reason why air conditioning was invented in Texas!! Up around D/FW it may get hot but the humidity's usually not as bad as it gets down here near Houston. I have family that lives in Michigan and I'll take hot summers over snow any day!:banana: The only thing to be concerned about up in D/FW is you're at the bottom of 'tornado alley.' Bad thunderstorms can develop rather quickly.
Thanks for serving and welcome to Texas, ya'll......:lol:

pooley

I personally would rather it be cold. I can always put on enough clothes to stay warm, but if I try to take off enough to stay cool, they want to put me in jail.

One of those holster requires belt, belt requires pants kind of things. :D
You'd look awefully funny wearing nothing but a single-action army!

Last edited: