• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introducing myself, from Spokane

Thor80

Hi All,
I've been lurking around here in the shadows for a few months now off and on just taking it all in. There is a lot of good information and ya'll seem like a level headed fun bunch!

So short story, got my first gun (single shot .22 chipmunk) when I was 10 and have been a safe, responsible gun owner since then. (Bout 20 years....) I've been in Spokane for about 5 years now and have had my CPL for about 4 of those and have been CC'ing the whole time. I started getting interested in OC about a year or so ago after a few years of trying to find a good CC weapon. Currently its a XD-40 Subcompact, but its still a pain to CC in the summer so that's what got me interested in OC cause all summer I'd leave my weapon at home and in the back of my mind I just kept wondering what good it would do me at home if I needed it now..... I've successfully OC'd here at a few restaurants this winter and it didn't feel as "awkward" as I thought it would. (Temps are still 10-40 here so for me its all pretty much CC under a jacket right now unless sitting down at a restaurant...) This spring I'll be looking for more of a full-size carry weapon with better holster options.

Well anyway just wanted to say Hi to all and thanks for the info/knowledge I've taken in from you thus far!

-Torsten

P.S. I think there's a few of ya'll in Spokane, anyone here meet up like those on the other side of the mountains? :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Welcome aboard!

Just don't take your gun near water. For some reason tremendous numbers of guns are lost up your way in boating accidents. :)

Last edited:

Aryk45XD

Welcome to the forum!

If you already have setups for the sub-compact, why not go service 4" or tactical 5"? It was easy for me to switch from the XD40SC to the 4". All of the mags, holsters, CTC, etc. The 4" is a lot more pleasurable to shoot also.

Put a tether on it if you go near a boat or water.

Squeak

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that you have to live in Spokane! THAT is another story! Set up a meet yourself;
Pick YOUR favorite spot - one where you can move the tables to form a group, works best.
Pick YOUR favorite date
Pick YOUR favorite time
Post it and they will show up! :banana: Good Luck, my friend!

o2ryan

Welcome to the boards Thor. I was just talking to another Spokane member about getting a meeting on the schedule. Like Squeak says, pick a day, time and place and some of us will show.

Snarly

fetch

Welcome Thor,
As you have read on the board, there are a lot of things discussed about the west side. We usually don't let Squeek badmouth Spokane, (Spokane being the 2nd largest city in Washington).
Over the past couple of years a lot has gone on behind the scenes. We also have a OC table at the three day gun show here.
Yes, we do need to have a get together to discuss a couple of issues. Perhaps lunch, Sat. 12th. noon at the Onion. Any other ideas?

Thor80

Put a tether on it if you go near a boat or water.

I've been pretty lucky thus far without a tether. I own a boat and i'm pretty much on it at least once a month winter and 6-8 times a month during the summer. Heck my brother in-law, my boy and I all went to Rock Lake 2 days ago. Picked up 2bows and 7brownies in about 3hrs of fishing. All 16-20inchers. :)

"Perhaps lunch, Sat. 12th. noon at the Onion. Any other ideas? "

I'd have to check my calender (Girlfriend) but its probably doable for me.

-Torsten

sirtirithon

Welcome! Hopefully we will get the regular meetings going again here in Spokane. I carry an XD40SC as well. Great pistol choice!

Jeff Hayes

Thor

Welcome to the boards. You guys have fun on the 12th I wont make it I will be OCing in Arizona that day.

Fetch I will order the new banner this week so it will arrive after I get home. Are we doing a table the 1st weekend of April? I will return the banner you loaned me then along with the new frame that M1Gnr gave us.

o2ryan

Fetch,

If I could share an observation and opinion (I know, everybody has one), but it is my experience that the lunch time meetings traditionally have less turnout than say a morning meeting over coffee and such. For me, Saturdays are big project days and to drop what I am doing to get cleaned up and drive downtown for lunch can be very challenging and usually prohibitive to my attendance. If I could start my Saturday over a cup of coffee and good OC conversation with some great individuals and then be on my way, I am much more likely to attend events more regularly. I am sure there are others who can relate to where I am coming from, weather it be a home project or a day at the lake, fitting a lunch time meeting into the middle of a Saturday can be tough.

Please don't mistake this observation for criticism, if lunchtime is when we decide to meet, then I will do my best to attend. I have noticed however that the most successful gatherings on the west side of the state tend to be Saturday mornings at a local coffee house and I only intend to suggest that we may consider following that model.

Thanks,
Snarly

Thor80

I'd be good with morning coffee... Looks like we got some Spokanites stirred up eh? Glad to meet ya'll that have replied so far. :)

fetch

Thor, yes it looks like you poked a stick into the den of hibernating Spokanites. Saturday morning coffee is just fine with me.
Feb 12th, Donut Parade at 0900 or 0930 over on Hamilton St.????
A couple of things to discuss, gun show table? other events to hand out pamphlets? Ideas?

Thor80

I checked with my calander and I'm in! I drive by that place like 3 or 4 times a week and have never stopped in... Sounds like a good place though!

-Thor