Thread: Interesting encounter at Walmart

Interesting encounter at Walmart

I was standing in like with my wife at a Colorado Springs Walmart with a load of groceries. I was putting them on the conveyor and a man about 30 said, "Excuse me sir?" I turned around and said "yes?" He asked me if it was legal to carry a firearm openly in Colorado. I said yes. He then asked if there was a certain kind and I said no, but if it is open, it must stay open. He give me a big grin. After loading the belt we got to talking about kids and other things. I think we have another open carrier about to bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by jhco50 View Post
    He asked me if it was legal to carry a firearm openly in Colorado.
    I like the questioner's friendly interest in carrying, but I must laugh at how he phrased the question. The obvious answers are "yes" and "of course not, I'm a criminal".
    Last edited by Anubis; 02-08-2011 at 11:11 AM.

LOL Yeah, but that would have been mean. The look on his face when I told him yes, yes was one of those priceless moments. One thing that struck me was he called me sir.
    Last edited by jhco50; 02-09-2011 at 02:03 AM.

ALWAYS call a man with a gun sir.

LOL Yeah, but that would have been mean. The look on his face when I told him yes, yes was one of those priceless moments. One thing that struck me was he called me sir.

I guess I would call someone sir too. Even though I'm retired, I don't get called that often. My kids call me old man and the grandkids all call me something different...Papa, grandpa Jim, etc. I answer to just about anything anymore.

I guess I would call someone sir too. Even though I'm retired, I don't get called that often. My kids call me old man and the grandkids all call me something different...Papa, grandpa Jim, etc. I answer to just about anything anymore.
    I call everyone sir.  It keeps me from having to remember names.

Also, as an aside...My brother is a new grandfather and he insists on being called "Gimpa".  He suffered from and survived a massive stroke about a year ago and has been wheelchair/walker bound since.  He finds humor in everything.  He even calls his nonfunctional appendages "zombie hand" and "zombie foot".

I had a 4 way bypass about 5 years ago so I feel for your brother. I haven't named my new aorta though. I admire someone who can have a problem and keep right on like nothing has really happened. I applaud your brother.

Even "Hey you?"
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I like the questioner's friendly interest in carrying, but I must laugh at how he phrased the question. The obvious answers are "yes" and "of course not, I'm a criminal".
    I wouldn't do it to a stranger but if a friends friend asked me "Is that legal?" I would like to say "nope" and just stare back at them to see what their reaction is. This is assuming I would be able to explain the truth.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I wouldn't do it to a stranger but if a friends friend asked me "Is that legal?" I would like to say "nope" and just stare back at them to see what their reaction is. This is assuming I would be able to explain the truth.
    My preference is a mock clueless, "Is what legal?" Maybe followed by, "As legal as those god awful shoes."

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    My preference is a mock clueless, "Is what legal?" Maybe followed by, "As legal as those god awful shoes."
    lololol

You're wearing that and your worried about my gun???
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

You folks ARE mean!

Which Wal-Mart was it? The reason I ask is that they know me fairly well at the one up North, next to Chapel Hills Mall. I think even many customers recognize me, as they've stopped asking me questions, too.

Well, mostly.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

The Fountain Walmart on 85/87. You have probably met my wife then. She is the little chubby white haired lady in Jewelry. Don't tell her I said that, I'm already in the hole with brownie points.
    Last edited by jhco50; 03-03-2011 at 01:28 AM.

The Fountain Walmart on 85/87. You have probably met my wife then. She is the little chubby white haired lady in Jewelry. Don't tell her I said that, I'm already in the hole with brownie points.
    Yeah, this would get you some other 'points'...

She is ... in Jewelry.
    I think I may have seen her, but jewelry isn't one of my more frequented departments.

I keep my eyes peeled.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    "**** if I know, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    "**** if I know, man!"
    Chill, dude. You're starting to sound like an opportunist.

Border town ****, it's not welcome. Not on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Chill, dude. You're starting to sound like an opportunist.

Border town ****, it's not welcome. Not on this forum.
    I really don't understand this post.

Border town what?

I was just making a joke... Anubis said there were two likely answers to his question. I was just proposing a third, silly option. The censored bit was a common expletive beginning with "f".

Now how did you interpret it?
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-08-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I think I may have seen her, but jewelry isn't one of my more frequented departments.

I keep my eyes peeled.
    I told her you might stop by and say hi. I was in there last Friday...took her to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I was just making a joke...
    Whoops! My bad.