• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting encounter at Walmart

jhco50

I was standing in like with my wife at a Colorado Springs Walmart with a load of groceries. I was putting them on the conveyor and a man about 30 said, "Excuse me sir?" I turned around and said "yes?" He asked me if it was legal to carry a firearm openly in Colorado. I said yes. He then asked if there was a certain kind and I said no, but if it is open, it must stay open. He give me a big grin. After loading the belt we got to talking about kids and other things. I think we have another open carrier about to bloom. :D

Anubis

He asked me if it was legal to carry a firearm openly in Colorado.

I like the questioner's friendly interest in carrying, but I must laugh at how he phrased the question. The obvious answers are "yes" and "of course not, I'm a criminal". :)

Last edited:

jhco50

LOL Yeah, but that would have been mean. The look on his face when I told him yes, yes was one of those priceless moments. One thing that struck me was he called me sir.

Last edited:

jhco50

I guess I would call someone sir too. Even though I'm retired, I don't get called that often. My kids call me old man and the grandkids all call me something different...Papa, grandpa Jim, etc. I answer to just about anything anymore.

Kingfish

I guess I would call someone sir too. Even though I'm retired, I don't get called that often. My kids call me old man and the grandkids all call me something different...Papa, grandpa Jim, etc. I answer to just about anything anymore.
I call everyone sir.  It keeps me from having to remember names.

Also, as an aside...My brother is a new grandfather and he insists on being called "Gimpa".  He suffered from and survived a massive stroke about a year ago and has been wheelchair/walker bound since.  He finds humor in everything.  He even calls his nonfunctional appendages "zombie hand" and "zombie foot".

jhco50

I had a 4 way bypass about 5 years ago so I feel for your brother. I haven't named my new aorta though. :lol: I admire someone who can have a problem and keep right on like nothing has really happened. I applaud your brother.

protias

Even "Hey you?"

Beau

I like the questioner's friendly interest in carrying, but I must laugh at how he phrased the question. The obvious answers are "yes" and "of course not, I'm a criminal". :)
I wouldn't do it to a stranger but if a friends friend asked me "Is that legal?" I would like to say "nope" and just stare back at them to see what their reaction is. This is assuming I would be able to explain the truth.

mahkagari

I wouldn't do it to a stranger but if a friends friend asked me "Is that legal?" I would like to say "nope" and just stare back at them to see what their reaction is. This is assuming I would be able to explain the truth.

My preference is a mock clueless, "Is what legal?" Maybe followed by, "As legal as those god awful shoes."

since9

Campaign Veteran
You folks ARE mean!

Which Wal-Mart was it? The reason I ask is that they know me fairly well at the one up North, next to Chapel Hills Mall. I think even many customers recognize me, as they've stopped asking me questions, too.

Well, mostly.

jhco50

The Fountain Walmart on 85/87. You have probably met my wife then. She is the little chubby white haired lady in Jewelry. Don't tell her I said that, I'm already in the hole with brownie points.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Chill, dude. You're starting to sound like an opportunist.

Border town ****, it's not welcome. Not on this forum.

I really don't understand this post.

Border town what?

I was just making a joke... Anubis said there were two likely answers to his question. I was just proposing a third, silly option. The censored bit was a common expletive beginning with "f".

Now how did you interpret it?

Last edited: