• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Carry Alert! - Bills in Committee Need Your Voice!

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
FLORIDA CARRY, INC. LEGISLATIVE ALERT

February 4, 2011

HB 45 - FL House Criminal Justice Subcommittee
SB 402 - FL Senate Committee on Criminal Justice
Hearings scheduled for 2/8/11
EMAIL COMMITTEE MEMBERS NOW!

Identical bills HB 45 and SB 402 are on the agenda of both the FL House Criminal Justice Subcommittee and the FL Senate Committee on Criminal Justice on Tuesday, February 8. Florida Carry, Inc. urgently requests that the membership call the phone numbers below and/or send e-mails via the links provided to each of the members of both committees in support of House Bill 45 or Senate Bill 402 as applicable.

HB 45/SB 402 is the bill on which we've been waiting for twenty-three years. You've seen it discussed on gun rights and carry forums. This one initiative can very well set the tone of the future of gun rights in the state of Florida.

In 1987, the Florida legislature took action to draft legislation in which they themselves would occupy (or preempt) the entire field of regulation regarding firearms and ammunition, to the exclusion of the counties and cities. Existing and future ordinances were declared null and void per §790.33 Florida Statutes. The preemption statute was an effort to put an end to a patchwork of conflicting and confusing local ordinances and rules that were making criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens. However, there are no teeth to the existing statute. Counties have been free to ignore it for the last 23 years because they know that the expense involved with a citizen pursuing a lawsuit to overturn a local ordinance was prohibitive for the average citizen. Believe it or not, a full two-thirds of Florida's 67 counties and countless municipalities have and enforce unlawful ordinances to this day.

But the issue begs the question, if the local government doesn't have to abide this state statute, what other statutes could they ignore with the precedent?
We urgently need you to send two emails now!​
EMAIL 1:
House Bill 45 to the FL House Criminal Justice Subcommittee Members
E-mail Helper (feel free to cut, paste, and edit to suit)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO:
dennis.baxley@myfloridahouse.gov
charles.vanzant@myfloridahouse.gov
john.julien@myfloridahouse.gov
dwight.bullard@myfloridahouse.gov
daphne.campbell@myfloridahouse.gov
rich.glorioso@myfloridahouse.gov
james.grant@myfloridahouse.gov
gayle.harrell@myfloridahouse.gov
charles.mcburney@myfloridahouse.gov
keith.perry@myfloridahouse.gov
ray.pilon@myfloridahouse.gov
ari.porth@myfloridahouse.gov
perry.thurston@myfloridahouse.gov
john.tobia@myfloridahouse.gov
carlos.trujillo@myfloridahouse.gov

SUBJECT:
Support HB 45 – Stop Local Leaders Who Violate State Law.

This e-mail is to express my support for House Bill 45, Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition. As a member of the Florida House Criminal Justice Subcommittee, you will be hearing this bill on Tuesday. I respectfully ask that you wholeheartedly support this bill.

For twenty-three years, many of the counties and cities of the state of Florida have ignored §790.33 Florida Statutes (Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted). Law-abiding firearms owners and carriers continue to be harassed and threatened by local ordinances that exist in direct contradiction to both the wording and intent of the statute.

House Bill 45 will finally provide the necessary incentive to entice local jurisdictions to abide state statute, just as they oblige their citizens to do. It ends twenty-three years of willful disregard of the legislature, and puts in place sufficient deterrent to prevent recurrence.

Please support HB 45.

Respectfully,

<your name>
<your city, state>

EMAIL 2:
Senate Bill 402 to the FL Senate Committee on Criminal Justice Members
E-mail Helper (feel free to cut, paste, and edit to suit)

TO:
evers.greg.web@flsenate.gov
dean.charles.web@flsenate.gov
dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov
margolis.gwen.web@flsenate.gov
smith.chris.web@flsenate.gov

SUBJECT:
Support SB 402 – Stop Local Leaders Who Violate State Law.

This e-mail is to express my support for Senate Bill 402, Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition. As a member of the Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice, you will be hearing this bill on Tuesday. I respectfully ask that you wholeheartedly support this bill.

For twenty-three years, many of the counties and cities of the state of Florida have ignored §790.33 Florida Statutes (Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted). Law-abiding firearms owners and carriers continue to be harassed and threatened by local ordinances that exist in direct contradiction to both the wording and intent of the statute.

Senate Bill 402 will finally provide the necessary incentive to entice local jurisdictions to abide state statute, just as they oblige their citizens to do. It ends twenty-three years of willful disregard of the legislature, and puts in place sufficient deterrent to prevent recurrence.

Please support SB 402.

Respectfully,

<your name>

77zach

SB 402 and HB 45 passed 3-2 and 10-4 respectively. Now I suppose they go to the full legislature.

I see no schedule for the open carry bill, SB 234. Does anyone know?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
SB 402 and HB 45 passed 3-2 and 10-4 respectively. Now I suppose they go to the full legislature.

SB 234 and HB 517 will be coming up on committee agendas within the next two weeks. I'll let everyone know.

Rich7553

HB 45 and SB 402 still have a few more committees to make it through before hitting the general legislature.